• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #34: The Cat Lady

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Rem - 01 August 2015 06:06 PM

Some of you asked how I know these things about depression… The answer is simple: I live with someone who has it.

She still says I don’t understand anything about it;)

She’s probably right.

Depression is ... well .. is too complex, and different depending on the case. Obviously I do not know if she has played or not your game, but even so I think she would think that in the first part of the game you were close to approach how it really feels.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I loved this playthrough, the comments were very interesting. Glad I voted for it. Thanks, Sefir, Rem, and everybody else.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Well, finding out about the budget really makes the game seem even more amazing. It’s clear that some people have vision and will to make great things even without millions of dollars. The voice actors were incredible too, I would’ve seriously thought them to be some well sought professionals. My friend, who doesn’t play many games, even said that Susan’s voice was very pleasant, which I didn’t really even think about that much, but after hearing that, yeah it does make following the dialogue that much more enjoyable.

And I really loved the artistic choices in the visuals as well as in the music. The game was definitely one of the most beautiful ones I’ve played in the recent years. This also proved that side scrolling can absolutely work well in adventure games.

Thanks a lot to Sefir for Leading and Rem for joining. And everyone else participating.

Oh, and I never said what my initial choices in the last chapter were.
I let Mitzi have the mask, told Queen to piss off and let Mitzi shoot Adam. The last choice wasn’t completely intentional, I wasn’t sure if she would shoot or if they would still talk about it more.
I tried many other combinations and talking Mitzi out of shooting Adam did give the girls 6 months of friendship which would certainly be worth it. Also I liked the story flow when I chose to keep the mask and kill Adam myself. It was cool. Blowing out candles or not blowing them out didn’t matter - except for the perfect ending which I wasn’t able to get anyway since I didn’t initially open to Liz, and got the meltdown in ch.3.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Gosh, I also could not agree more. This game looks like it cost quite a bit to make. And I also agree on the voice acting - top notch.

This game is so ground breaking on so many levels. - easily one of the best horror adventures of all time.

I can see why this is a top ten of all time favorite adventure game. I thought I was going to have to change my shorts several times in the game - playing it was a truly frightening experience.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Still a couple of thoughts I didn’t say earlier.

I also thought Susan’s past was a bit of a cliche, but the whole reason it has become a cliche is because it is so common in real life. Especially women suffer many child related depressions, losing a child is probably one of the most devastating things there can be, and then many people get the “baby blues” which is rather dismissive term for something that can even result in suicide or psychosis. My own depression is not directly related to children though I of course have felt more isolated during the baby years, worsening my state.

And thinking about the ending. There is no suicide ending, right? Only slight variations of Susan devoting her life helping others?
I think most depressed people just struggle keeping themselves in check but it does seem pretty likely that going through something as drastic as the events in this game, including both the parasite stuff and the friendship with Mitzi, is probably a much more life changing thing than the regular struggles getting back into “normal” life. Also being in contact with others is a healing experience also for herself.

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

millenia - 03 August 2015 06:41 PM

I think most depressed people just struggle keeping themselves in check but it does seem pretty likely that going through something as drastic as the events in this game, including both the parasite stuff and the friendship with Mitzi, is probably a much more life changing thing than the regular struggles getting back into “normal” life. Also being in contact with others is a healing experience also for herself.

Perhaps, but I believe that most doctors would agree that doing something closer to regular activities is more controllable, easier to audit and more of a certain way of not harming yourself. And yes, I consider “friendshiep with other people” a regular activity (or more precise: a result from communication with other people as a regular activity. Not something I am very good to either. Wink ). Extremeties like the ones Susan went through or anything else that poses real danger for the depressed one are more likely to be considered as a result of disregard for his/her own life more than anythng else. Not everyone is as imortal as Susan was. Not to mention that sometimes, life changing situations can have the exact opposite result thatn the expected one.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Well yeah, surely nothing Susan experienced with the parasites would be thought to be an event that helps with her mental problems Smile But if it was RL, Susan probably would’ve been in psychosis while experiencing most of that stuff.

What I meant that to me it rings true that she would devote herself helping other depressed people, even though I cannot really see myself doing it. She was a nurse to begin with, a loner with no kids - ouch, but still true - who bonded with Mitzi and easily felt that she would honor her that way, as well as just getting some peer support herself. And perhaps even atoning for the lives she traded during the game.

It was also said here that Susan seemed to be heading towards depression even before losing the child and I agree. [spoiler]She was already withdrawing from other people, just with her baby. And she was unhappy and probably looking for some kind of escape with that admirer of hers.[/spoiler]

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ve replayed the last chapter a few times to see the different endings.

I still prefer my original choices and ending to the others, but there were some good new scenes to witness (I loved the flinging cigarette in Susan’s “Revenge” ending.

Seeing the ending credits again made me realize something:

Rem - 20 July 2015 04:36 AM

Jesse Gunn (Warmer)

So the awesome musician is the voice of Joe Davis in Downfall and here? Cool! Cool

Anybody have any theories about the pictures in Eye of Adam’s room?
Do they represent “trophies” of people Eye of Adam has convinced to commit suicide, or rather potential future victims?
I’m going with “trophies”.
Especially with Rem amongst them. Tongue

About that:

TimovieMan - 31 July 2015 05:14 PM

A question for Rem: I noticed your picture in The Eye of Adam‘s room, next to one that looks a bit like you as well (Micamic, I reckon?). The one on the left then is James Spanos??? Are any of the others (the ones in front that are blurred more) also from the dev or voice acting team??? Just curious.

Rem, could you indulge me, please?  Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

Yikes, I’ve really fallen behind it seems. I haven’t read the thread to avoid spoilers, so I don’t know how many have finished. I hope to catch up soon, maybe even tonight, but don’t wait up Wink

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

harald - 09 August 2015 07:34 AM

Yikes, I’ve really fallen behind it seems. I haven’t read the thread to avoid spoilers, so I don’t know how many have finished. I hope to catch up soon, maybe even tonight, but don’t wait up Wink

Well, you are the last one…by far!

Almost everyone finished the game a couple of weeks ago…

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

That’s too bad. But I finished the game now and I’ll post some final thoughts as soon as I have the time. At least the thread isn’t unpinned yet. Tongue

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

harald - 09 August 2015 05:02 PM

That’s too bad. But I finished the game now and I’ll post some final thoughts as soon as I have the time. At least the thread isn’t unpinned yet. Tongue

Be sure to read the last pages. There was very interesting discussion between the participants and Rem about the game.

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2012-12-22

PM

The photos in Adam’s room are meant to be his trophies, people he had managed to push over the edge and convince to commit suicide. It’s basically all I could find on my hard drive;) So several pics of me, my bro (MicAmic), my partner Agnes (her photos can be found in all my games;)) and my auntie (I hate that woman). Jim Spanos wasn’t there. He only has two photos ever made, and the second one very recently… so really he’s got less pictures of him than Big Foot Wink As far as I know he is a man with a beard. Never met him in person, though we’ve known each other for a very long time.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Thanks for the info, Rem, and thanks for all the insights during the playthrough! It is greatly appreciated, and I just want to repeat how awesome it is that we have the developer himself here. Cool
Also a big thanks to Sefir for leading this great CPT!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top