• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jatsie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

R32 Bracket 3 - The Big AG VS Tournament

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

1. Discworld: Noir - Machinarium is cute, but Disc is better.

2. Grim Fandango - I haven’t played GK3, but I don’t see it being better than one of my absolute favourites.

3. Gemini Rue - Broken Sword is good but overrated while Gemini Rue is the game that got me back to the genre after a few years of hiatus.

4. The Dig - Syberia is very good and it’d be a shame to see it go, but The Dig is a whole other level of awesome in my book.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2014-07-12

PM

1. Machinarium

2. Grim Fandango

3. Broken Sword

4. The Dig

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

El Manny - 15 January 2015 04:56 PM

2. Grim Fandango

Now there’s a surprise!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

Discworld Noir
Grim Fandango (Hard Choice Cry GK3 is my favourite of the series)
Broken Sword 1
The Dig

Total Posts: 262

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

1. Machinarium

2. Gabriel Knight 3

3. Broken Sword

4. The Dig

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Iznogood - 15 January 2015 08:11 AM

I also don’t think the GK games will have much chance when it comes up against some of the heavyweights, if for no other reason than because no one agrees which is the best, and everybody hates at least one in the series. Only GK1 really stands a chance as no one only few seems to outright hate it.

Not true. I love all the GK games with passion and give them 5/5 stars. I used to think there were like half a star or so difference with the order from best to worst being 1,3,2 but replay session this decade made me put them into equal grounds. And there’s really not an aspect in any of the games that I would say I hate, just a couple of nitpicky things. I personally liked the FMV and thought the actors to be good enough (some better and some worse) and I definitely liked the whole 3D scheme in the 3rd game.

Bogi - 15 January 2015 09:41 AM

I think the thing with Monkey Island games is which one someone played first. I would say 9/10 people that played Curse first consider it the best in the series and on the other hand those who played original games first (especially when they were just released) tend to prefer them, but maybe not in such high percent. On the other hand there is even a minority that considers that Curse derived a way to much from the originals and that the change in tone was “betrayal” of the series in a way Grin and still pray for the “true” Monkey Island 3 from Ron Gilbert Grin

I played these games in order and still totally loved the 3rd game. I’m not sure if I think it’s better than the second but it might be. I just loved it and I’m not even a fan of its type of graphics really. I was just totally captivated by the plot and immersed in the world. The 4th game was a huge disappointment to me after that, and I never even finished the game because it crashed after the monkey dance crap and my last save was way back. I have yet to play the SE versions though (or the Tales), so I don’t know if a rerun with those and the third game would make me change my mind.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2012-05-22

PM

Discworld Noir
GK3
Gemini Rue
The Dig

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

TimovieMan - 15 January 2015 04:22 PM

2. Grim Fandango - I haven’t played GK3, but I don’t see it being better than one of my absolute favourites.

Well, Timsie, clearly you should play it Wink

millenia - 16 January 2015 12:10 AM

Not true. I love all the GK games with passion and give them 5/5 stars. I used to think there were like half a star or so difference with the order from best to worst being 1,3,2 but replay session this decade made me put them into equal grounds. And there’s really not an aspect in any of the games that I would say I hate, just a couple of nitpicky things. I personally liked the FMV and thought the actors to be good enough (some better and some worse) and I definitely liked the whole 3D scheme in the 3rd game.

I’m very much with you on loving them all. However, I have noticed that there seems to always be someone who hates on especially 2 and 3 for some silly reason (like FMV or the 3D (which is, however, the pinnacle of AG interfaces so far) or because of this or that gameplay thing). GK1 seems to get least of that - I believe because it’s the most “traditional” AG of the series. The two latter seem to break the mold - in my opinion to the better - but such an approach tends to always get some who don’t like it.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

So here are my votes:

Match 1: No Vote
Match 2: Grim Fandango (I really liked GK3, but few games can stand against Grim)
Match 3: Broken Sword 1
Match 4: The Dig

Match 4 was a pretty close one, but overall my enjoyment of the Dig was higher than Syberia.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Match 1 - Machinarium
Match 2 - Gabriel Knight 3
Match 3 - Broken Sword 1
Match 4 - Syberia

Some of these choices are getting seriously tough now!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Iznogood - 15 January 2015 08:11 AM

I also don’t think the GK games will have much chance when it comes up against some of the heavyweights, if for no other reason than because no one agrees which is the best, and everybody many members hates dislikes at least one in the series. Only GK1 really stands a chance as no one only few seems to outright hate it.

Fixed Tongue

The funny thing with the GK series is that even thought it is a series, then the three games are also very different, and in many ways more different from each other then from other games made at the same time.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2013-03-13

PM

Iznogood - 16 January 2015 06:09 AM

The funny thing with the GK series is that even thought it is a series, then the three games are also very different, and in many ways more different from each other then from other games made at the same time.

Yes, but I think this was one of the great things back in the day that often when they made a sequel to a game, they tried to mix things up and try to do something really new with it, not just making the same game over and over again with another numeral at the end of the title.
I for one think it really worked out well for the GK games and I do love all three of them for different reasons.

Total Posts: 1666

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

M1: Discworld Noir
M2: /
M3: Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars
M4: The Dig

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

FrasierCrane - 16 January 2015 06:21 AM

Yes, but I think this was one of the great things back in the day that often when they made a sequel to a game, they tried to mix things up and try to do something really new with it, not just making the same game over and over again with another numeral at the end of the title.

Sure, especially Sierra was always trying new things, and they deserve credit for that even if it didn’t always turn out well, I mean just look at KQ8 Wink

FrasierCrane - 16 January 2015 06:21 AM

I for one think it really worked out well for the GK games and I do love all three of them for different reasons.

Well this is where we disagree, I personally think that GK2 is a deeply flawed game, not because it is FMV, that can work very well if it is done right, like in the Tex Murphy series, but because they sacrificed too much in order to make it FMV, and ended up with a good story but a mediocre game (imo). GK3 on the other hand turned out much better as an adventure game, perhaps the best in the series, even though the graphics haven’t aged very well.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Iznogood - 16 January 2015 07:16 AM

Well this is where we disagree, I personally think that GK2 is a deeply flawed game, not because it is FMV, that can work very well if it is done right, like in the Tex Murphy series, but because they sacrificed too much in order to make it FMV, and ended up with a good story but a mediocre game (imo). GK3 on the other hand turned out much better as an adventure game, perhaps the best in the series, even though the graphics haven’t aged very well.

My personal opinion is highly different! I consider GK2 the best of the series. Both the characters, the riddles and the game flow in general was great!
On the other hand, I hate GK3 with a passion. It was not the attrocious 3D graphics (GF’s graphics, both in models and backgrounds are miles ahead from that!) or the IMHO unrealistic character presentation/development. It was mostly the camera and the game controls. Some may call it revolutionary, I call it highly problematic that ruined the game experience. I do agree that it had good riidles though. Moustage excepted of course.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top