• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

R32 Bracket 3 - The Big AG VS Tournament

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sefir - 16 January 2015 07:23 AM

My personal opinion is highly different!

He he - This was of course the very point is was trying to make Wink
Everybody has an opinion about the games, often passionately, and only the most hardcore fans love all the games in the series.

The games that seems to be doing best in this tournament is not as you would expect, the games that have a lot of fans who loves them passionately, but instead the games that everybody can agree is okay, the games that doesn’t alienate anyone and doesn’t get a lot of votes against them.

I think the battle between Syberia and The Dig is the best example of this.

The Dig is a good game with a good story and pretty much nothing about it that anybody dislikes, but lets be honest, it is also a bit of a dime a dozen game. I have never heard anyone claim that The Dig is their favourite game or the best AG ever made, on someone’s personal top 10 list perhaps, but not at the very top.

Then we have Syberia, a very unique game where there is no other games quite like it (except the other games by Sokal), and with a large fan base that loves it with a passion, but also a game that has alienated a lot of people, who dislikes the game for various reasons.

And The Dig is wiping the floor with Syberia, Syberia hasn’t got a leg to stand on, it is not even a battle but a massacre. Not what you would expect and not entirely fair imo, but that is how it works.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Iznogood - 16 January 2015 08:05 AM

And The Dig is wiping the floor with Syberia

Check out those scores again.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

diego - 16 January 2015 08:14 AM

*Ahem* - Okay Syberia has made a bit of a comeback since I last checked, but in my defence it did look pretty hopeless at one point with 2/3 of the votes in favour of The Dig… and The Dig is still in the lead, so I still think my point is valid.

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2013-03-10

PM

machinarium
grim fandango
broken sword
syberia

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Iznogood - 16 January 2015 08:33 AM
diego - 16 January 2015 08:14 AM

*Ahem* - Okay Syberia has made a bit of a comeback since I last checked, but in my defence it did look pretty hopeless at one point with 2/3 of the votes in favour of The Dig…

Page 1: The Dig love (mostly)
Page 2: Syberia love
Page 3: Syberia love
Page 4: The Dig love

I see a pattern here….

and The Dig is still in the lead, so I still think my point is valid.

mo54 - 16 January 2015 08:49 AM

syberia

No, it’s not. Not anymore!  Grin

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sefir - 16 January 2015 09:05 AM

and The Dig is still in the lead, so I still think my point is valid.

mo54 - 16 January 2015 08:49 AM

syberia

No, it’s not. Not anymore!  Grin

Well I’m not going to complain because everybody seems determined to prove me wrong and destroy my perfectly valid hypothesises Shifty Eyed I will instead rejoice and celebrate that people have seen the light and that things aren’t as bleak as I was beginning to think Grin

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Iznogood - 16 January 2015 09:17 AM

I will instead rejoice and celebrate that people have seen the light and that things aren’t as bleak as I was beginning to think Grin

I VOTE FOR THE D… Nah, just kidding.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2011-09-21

PM

1 - Discworld Noir
2 - Grim Fandango
3 - Broken Sword
4 - Really? Tiebreaker again? I hope someone votes after me or I will start getting hate from the community… Have to vote early next round Grin Syberia

Total Posts: 122

Joined 2013-04-26

PM

Machinarium

Broken Sword Shadow of the Templars

The Dig

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I have never heard anyone claim that The Dig is their favourite game or the best AG ever made, on someone’s personal top 10 list perhaps, but not at the very top.

If The Dig had a better ending, it would have been at the top for me. I absolutely love that game, and it’s only the very ending where I feel they dropped the ball a little.
Plus, there’s not a single game out there with better music and atmosphere…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

1: Discworld Noir
2: -
3: Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars
4: Syberia

1: Really tough choice, but yeah, I think I will have to vote for Discworld this time.
2: Can’t vote since I haven’t played GK3 yet. I’m getting to it this year, though, so that’s something to look forward to.
3: Pretty easy choice, although both are great games.
4: The Dig only left me lukewarm, and yes, that ending is a big factor.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 16 January 2015 04:56 PM

I have never heard anyone claim that The Dig is their favourite game or the best AG ever made, on someone’s personal top 10 list perhaps, but not at the very top.

If The Dig had a better ending, it would have been at the top for me. I absolutely love that game, and it’s only the very ending where I feel they dropped the ball a little.
Plus, there’s not a single game out there with better music and atmosphere…

Just to clarify: I’m not saying it is a bad game, in fact I also love the game myself. I was just using it as an example in an attempt to prove a point. (And it isn’t at the very top even for you Tongue)

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Iznogood, stop it. We all know your real name is Benoit Sokal and you just wanted to give Syberia a little nudge.

Crazy

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

diego - 17 January 2015 06:58 AM

Iznogood, stop it. We all know your real name is Benoit Sokal and you just wanted to give Syberia a little nudge.

Crazy

Actually my real name is Beatnik Solo, and I think the members on this forum are much too smart, intelligent and independent to fall for that kind of

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Iznogood - 16 January 2015 09:17 AM

I will instead rejoice and celebrate that people have seen the light

translation: vote on the same games you do   Tongue

I agree with your point that a game having a small passionate fanbase really has no chance (see all handheld games in the prior round)

But I really voted for The Dig over Syberia because I think it’s a better game in every way.  Better characters, better story, better puzzles (from what I can remember at least - puzzles aren’t really a central part of my adventure game experience unless they’re really outstanding).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top