• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

R64 Bracket 5 - The Big AG VS Tournament

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

1) Larry 7
Machinarium is a cute little game, but… its Larry Laffer for Christ sake, our all time favourite anti-hero. And not just Larry but one of the best games in the series, and one of the funniest games ever made.

2) Discworld Noir
I really really like Simon, my second favourite all time anti-hero and everybody’s favourite brat, but I’m a huge Disc fan and Discworld Noir is not only the best of the Disc games, but also one of my all-time favourite games. So… sorry simon, you deserved better, but you are simply over-matched here.

3) Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned
In many ways the best of the GK games, and a very underrated game imo. Jane Jensen at her best and at the height of her story-telling, and even if the 3D graphics haven’t withstood the test of time very well, it still managed to get me completely immersed when I originally played it.

4) Grim Fandango
No contest - Few games can beat GF and this is not one of them.

Edit: I’m surprised to see so much love for Machinarium… or hatred towards Larry, whatever might be the case. Not all state reasons for their votes.

And.. Who doesn’t like Noir?!?
Especially when it is Discworld Noir Tongue

The way it mixes the story from three of the most classic Bogart movies, The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep and Casablanca, add some werewolves and a mad scientist wizard that wants to destroy the world, and have it all take place in the Discworld universe… is simply pure brilliance imo.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Detective Mosely - 06 January 2015 01:57 PM

Wow.  It keeps stunning me how different our tastes are.  Tongue

I tried Discworld 1, but it was so ridiculously impossible, and with so little direction of where to go and what to do next, or why I’d even want to do these things, that I just couldn’t get into it at all.  Whereas Discworld Noir instantly had me hooked.

But it makes sense because you said you don’t like any modern noir.  I didn’t even know not liking noir was a thing that was possible.  Tongue

And as good as classic Noir is, so many of the best Noir-ish things were made much later.  (Chinatown, Blade Runner, Tex Murphy games, etc.)

Smile

By looking at the scores in all groups it’s clear that Noir is so universally loved and cherished that I think I can already guess what the final may be Laughing

Everything after Bogart and Cagney haven’t sat well with me (I’m not counting Blade Runner as neo-Noir per se). So that’s probably a reason why my taste differs a lot from the most people here.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Match 1

Machinarium                     16

Match 2

Simon the Sorcerer                 4

Match 3

Gabriel Knight 3: BotS, BotD         18

Match 4

Grim Fandango                   23

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

1. Machinarium
4. Grim Fandango

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 06 January 2015 08:21 PM

The way it mixes the story from three of the most classic Bogart movies, The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep and Casablanca, add some werewolves and a mad scientist wizard that wants to destroy the world, and have it all take place in the Discworld universe… is simply pure brilliance imo.

Don’t forget the Lovecraft they snuck in there. Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

Match 1 - Machinarium
Match 3 - GK3
Match 4 - Grim Fandango

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2004-05-01

PM

M2: Discworld Noir
M3: Gabriel Knight 3

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Discworld Noir
Grim Fandango

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

1) Larry 7
Machinarium is a cute little game, but… its Larry Laffer for Christ sake, our all time favourite anti-hero. And not just Larry but one of the best games in the series, and one of the funniest games ever made.

Edit: I’m surprised to see so much love for Machinarium… or hatred towards Larry, whatever might be the case. Not all state reasons for their votes.

I also noticed that there is extreme lack of love, even hatred towards Larry in recent years. It seems he doesn’t have place in this new, “politically correct” world Frown

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Bogi - 07 January 2015 11:57 AM

1) Larry 7

I also noticed that there is extreme lack of love, even hatred towards Larry in recent years. It seems he doesn’t have place in this new, “politically correct” world Frown

From my point of view the LL series is childish, puerile, pathetic and not worth the time of day. Yes, I know what was apparently intended but, for me anyway, it failed miserably. And that was from the very first game at the time of release and not me re-reviewing from modern perspectives. You might understand why I didn’t vote for LL7 Smile

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

Jabod - 07 January 2015 12:21 PM

From my point of view the LL series is childish, puerile, pathetic and not worth the time of day. Yes, I know what was apparently intended but, for me anyway, it failed miserably. And that was from the very first game at the time of release and not me re-reviewing from modern perspectives. You might understand why I didn’t vote for LL7 Smile

I have to admit that’s always been very much my impression too, gathered over 20+ years; hence I’ve never really played them. It would be nice if some people would accept that not everyone likes that type of humour rather than denigrating those of us who don’t as just polically correct people showing “hatred” towards LSL.

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

I didn’t mean to generalize, of course there are many people that never liked LSL, it only seems to me that Larry was much more liked 10-20 years ago.
And in the meantime we must admit that the type of humor that LSL games have became dramatically less desirable in the mainstream media. Especially now when some journalist find misogyny even in the games like Quest for Infamy.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I liked Larry games and LSL7 is pretty good gameplay wise too but it’s not close being a 5 star game which I’d require if I were to vote against a game I haven’t played (and assume I like).

I’d definitely enjoy a similar game where you could hunt a bunch of hunks, and in general I’m not that worried about the roles of the two sexes in games that obviously humorous and Larry himself is portrayed as pretty pathetic guy instead of some stud that conquers object-like women.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

millenia - 07 January 2015 01:54 PM

I’d definitely enjoy a similar game where you could hunt a bunch of hunks, and in general I’m not that worried about the roles of the two sexes in games that obviously humorous and Larry himself is portrayed as pretty pathetic guy instead of some stud that conquers object-like women.

That sums it up nicely.
I just can’t believe Sierra will fall to only GKs and eventually KQ6!

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

It`s extremely hard to choose between Larry 7 and Machinarium. They are both great games, but here it goes:

- Machinarium
- Simon the Sorcerer
- Space Quest IV
- Grim Fandango

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top