• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Thimbleweed Park—Maniac Mansion style game from Ron Gilbert & Gary Winnick

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

If anyone’s interested, here’s my long take of Thimbleweed Park. https://goo.gl/0s2sxn
Short version, it’s a great game.

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2014-03-05

PM

For those who have finished the game
I tried opening the trashcan behind the diner and now Agent Reyes is dead.
Have I just screwed myself over? I didn’t think this game would have death and I haven’t been saving.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

tomimt - 01 April 2017 04:34 PM

If anyone’s interested, here’s my long take of Thimbleweed Park. https://goo.gl/0s2sxn
Short version, it’s a great game.

Even you scrap all bias and nostalgia, its really a solid game on its own , rightly said
I am thinking of playing on Tablets now, is pixel hunting later too small or do you think can be manageable on tablets

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

nomadsoul - 02 April 2017 01:43 AM

I am thinking of playing on Tablets now, is pixel hunting later too small or do you think can be manageable on tablets

If they don’t fully mess up the UI, I don’t see a reason why TP wouldn’t work well on tablets. I’ve said it before, but personally I think touchscreen is very intuitive platform for point’n'click games and considering that games like Monkey Island work very well as they are now on tablets when using ScummVM, a game that will be a native port should work at least just as well.

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Advie - 01 April 2017 09:43 AM

from you have gotten 14 hours guys? aww, still only in my third hour of gameplay

That’s the way Advie, you take your time… People wait 2 years for this and then finish it in 2 days, I don’t get it. Crazy…

Total Posts: 262

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

OzzieMonkey - 01 April 2017 09:40 PM

For those who have finished the game
I tried opening the trashcan behind the diner and now Agent Reyes is dead.
Have I just screwed myself over? I didn’t think this game would have death and I haven’t been saving.

Just keep playing. You’ll see.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

i’m having loads of fun so far. recently i’m more hyped by new developers rather than a game by the old stars but this one proved me wrong. i can’t think of a better executed modern ag that tries to be classic and oldschool. way to go, grumpy.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

The only Lucas Art games I ever played were the Monkey Island series which I have a fondness for.
Anyway I’m a few hours into this game, finding it quite a different experience (in a good way!:tup}, loving the story + puzzles but getting very irritated with the ‘a-reno’ & the ‘a-who’ - okay it does in places distinguish between the role in which the 2 same characters are in at the time but otherwise it’s so annoying - what’s that about???? Does it have some nostalgic roots in an earlier game? & on that note I’m finding the game a little too clique ......but I’m enjoying it whatever!      Smile

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

My God, what a lesson in adventure game design TWP is. Ron schooling everyone! The sheer size of the playing field, the mind-boggling amount of combinations, the smart puzzles… Can’t believe how good it all is.

So far my only minor gripe (and I suspected it would be the case) is the verbs interface. The right click thing helps, but ugh, so hard to get re-accustomed.

We streamed it today for 5 hours and had a blast, can’t wait to get back into it. So. Good.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

wilco - 01 April 2017 12:43 PM
tomimt - 01 April 2017 12:25 PM

Walkers article was pretty interesting. Talk about hyperbole.

Probably I’m biased, just found it funny because but my thought was “So many positive reviews, lets see RPS Walker destroying another modern adventure… wait, it’s a positive review by Smith… oh wait, here it is” Smile
(I don’t think an article complaining about the first 3 minutes of what essentialy is the tutorial is that interesting)

The thing is for the first time maybe, I agree with John Walker. When I first started the game and saw the beloved verb interface, I tried pushing the beggar, I tried looking at him, picking him up but I was disappointed that all of those actions just made me talk to the beggar.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m two hours into the game and I love it but I wish there was more interactivity with the multiple verb interface. Not being able to look at people is annoying and I’ve always loved it when there are jokes when trying to do nonsensical actions with the multiple verb interface.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

giom - 02 April 2017 07:23 PM

The thing is for the first time maybe, I agree with John Walker. When I first started the game and saw the beloved verb interface, I tried pushing the beggar, I tried looking at him, picking him up but I was disappointed that all of those actions just made me talk to the beggar.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m two hours into the game and I love it but I wish there was more interactivity with the multiple verb interface. Not being able to look at people is annoying and I’ve always loved it when there are jokes when trying to do nonsensical actions with the multiple verb interface.

What giom said!

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

giom - 02 April 2017 07:23 PM

I wonder if they did it that way on purpose so as not to ‘frustrate’ inexperienced players who might not want to try every verb+click combination. It would have been better if the auto-choosing was optional or was limited to “easy” mode though. I actually tend to get ‘more’ confused when the interface does something other than what I tell it to.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

I agree that Walker’s article was perfectly fair (apart from the “look at gate” criticism: not all interactions are going to bring an interesting response, that’s just how it is). The failure to account for players not having looked at the inventory yet is just baffling; didn’t they playtest this section at all? It’s not a huge problem in the game as a whole, though.

What is a problem are a number of “why would the character do this?” puzzles, where you have to coordinate actions between different characters without any communication. There is one place in the game in particular where one character has to type in a code that he has no way of knowing, which the player knows because a different character has seen it (and there’s no way for those characters to communicate at the time). Huge failure of disbelief-suspension right there (which you could charitably argue is deliberate at that point in the game).

I do think the game is good, but I’m not convinced it’s “five stars” good. The backgrounds are gorgeous, but otherwise I don’t see it rising above the general standard of modern indie/retro adventures (unless you count length as a factor). Resonance had better multi-character puzzles and storytelling (and a more powerful expressive UI), Ben There, Dan That and Time Gentlemen, Please had better adventure game/LucasArts in-jokes (and a far better text adventure section), the Blackwell series is better at the ghost stuff (more creative puzzles, more affecting stories), etc.

[spoiler]I also felt the writing around the big twist was a bit lacking. So, for example, was Chuck actually angry at Delores for wanting to be a games programmer rather than take over PillowCorp, or was that all just an act? Whichever explanation you pick, it doesn’t seem entirely satisfactory. And who actually killed the German guy? Chuck himself? But he’s dead/uploaded, isn’t he? The sheriff? Why? And if they wanted to pin it on Willie, why didn’t they just have him arrested? Is the sheriff/coroner/hotel manager a robot? Or three robots? Towards the end there was a cutscene where Reyes is knocked out in the morgue with the coroner and a woman – possibly Ray – standing over his body. What was that about? What did they do to him? Again, why? I’m fine with the story going all Thirteenth Floor, but I really think they should wrap up the initial mystery properly.[/spoiler]

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

after a brisk nap - 03 April 2017 05:41 AM

a problem are a number of “why would the character do this?” puzzles, where you have to coordinate actions between different characters without any communication. There is one place in the game in particular where one character has to type in a code that he has no way of knowing, which the player knows because a different character has seen it (and there’s no way for those characters to communicate at the time). Huge failure of disbelief-suspension right there (which you could charitably argue is deliberate at that point in the game).

[/spoiler]

I don’t see this as a problem in TP as the game itself has so big meta gaming element about it. It’s constantly poking fun about games and it clearly expects you to divide your characters, play some part with one, then jump back on some other if you stumble a clue on some other puzzle.

It would be a different matter all together if the game would try to have more serious plot line, but it’s pretty happy just going more and more meta to the end.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

I agree that the comedy and fourth-wall-breaking element makes it a less serious problem, because, essentially, “repeat to yourself: it’s just a game, I should really just relax!”

But at the same time, I think this excuse edges dangerously close to “it’s not supposed to make sense… or be, you know, good”. Regardless of any meta-justification, it compromises the integrity of the puzzle, and that undermines my engagement with the story: I don’t care as much about the characters or the situations they find themselves in.

When, at the end, the characters face the destruction of their world, it doesn’t really matter, because neither the characters nor the world feel real to me.

The thing is, Ron Gilbert agrees with this (or at least he used to):

As an exercise, take one complete path through a story game and then tell it to someone else, as if it were a standard story.  If you find places where the main character could not have known a piece of information that was used (the character who learned it died in a previous game), then there is a hole in the plot.

http://grumpygamer.com/why_adventure_games_suck

He’s talking specifically about information that characters can only get by dying, but I think it applies equally here. (He also, as I think Walker points out in his article, condemns backwards puzzles.)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top