• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04chrissieDaleOOUS

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Thimbleweed Park—Maniac Mansion style game from Ron Gilbert & Gary Winnick

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 30 March 2017 02:55 PM

You can skip the dialogue by pressing period (.) like the Lucasarts games.

Really? Didn’t know that. Or I forgot. Or both. Strange choice for a skipping key, btw. 

I’m not saying the voices are bad, maybe it’s just weird listening with the retro graphics

The voices certainly aren’t bad, but not as great as in DoTT.

More partypooping…
There are way too many of those awful a-reno and a-who jokes

But on the bright side, it promises to be an interesting game. Thumbs Up  Hope I don’t get killed every 5 minutes.  Innocent

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Played a bit. There are lots of things I like, but may I say just how much I loathe those flashbacks? You’re trying to explore this big town, to figure out what you’re supposed to do, and to start solving a few puzzles—and then you talk to some random character and bam! you’re sent to spend 30 minutes in a flashback about some other character the game hasn’t even given you any reason to care about yet! It completely pulls you out of what you were doing, and feels extremely frustrating. Ugh. Who thought that was a good idea???

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I only had one flashback so far. What’s the problem? You can switch characters anytime, can’t you? I hated dying much more.

EDIT: You’re right, I never actually tried to switch characters in that flashback, and now it turns out I can’t. Thanks god for saves.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’ve put some good 3 hours in and I’m liking it quite a bit. It’s one of the funniest games I’ve played for a good while and I’m genuinely liking the humour in it.

Out of the voice actors I’ve stumbled upon at the moment, I’ve liked Agent Ray and Ransome the best. The overall quality is pretty decent’, I’ve certainly heard much worse in budget games like this is.

Funny thing about that line skipping, as if I’d be playing with mouse I would have never found it. Playing with a pad I found it pretty easily.

As for those flash backs, at least they’re triggered when you’re speaking to someone, so they flow out like a natural part of an investigation instead of them just randomly popping up.

I do find it interesting, that both Ray and Rayes have the same lines. Considering that both are fully voiced characters, there would have been some room for adjusting them despite they do get the same lines of answers.

And I managed by an accident find my book from the library. I wasn’t even looking for it, just sliding the cursor on the titles.

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Karlok - 30 March 2017 03:27 PM
wilco - 30 March 2017 02:55 PM

You can skip the dialogue by pressing period (.) like the Lucasarts games.

Really? Didn’t know that. Or I forgot. Or both. Strange choice for a skipping key, btw. 

This help dialog might be of service Wink

Image Attachments

grumpygamer_2017-Mar-30.jpg

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Man! the Music alone is so making feel like i am inside a/the movie
Great JOB!!

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Just got the game from GOG. Things are a little hectic here, so I don’t know when I will start. Stasis and Viktor: Steampunk Adventure are already loaded. One might have to take a back seat to this one.

It has been a looooong time since I had three games on my PC that I was anxious to play. In fact I can’t remember the last time that was the case.

I’ve been reading the thread, while not looking at the spoilers. Three things I have picked up are 1.) SESO from Karlok. Death is apparently a frequent occurrence. 2.) Changing characters is not as intuitive as it should be. 3.) Flashbacks are a love/hate proposition per Kuru.

Always nice to know the game mechanics before starting.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

CaliMonk - 30 March 2017 06:16 PM

This help dialog might be of service Wink

That screen is NOT in my Help file!

EDIT: I noticed just now there are four specks of dust in that Help pic. Help! I’m collecting them!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

rtrooney - 30 March 2017 07:01 PM

Three things I have picked up are 1.) SESO from Karlok. Death is apparently a frequent occurrence.

Nooooooo! Don’t you know that you can never die or make the game unwinnable in the LucasArts adventures? Ron Gilbert would never break with that tradition. Still, I didn’t lie. Yeah, it’s a murder mystery. Play the game and you’ll find out.

2.) Changing characters is not as intuitive as it should be.

LOL! It’s very intuitive. Have you played Day of the Tentacle? Just as intuitive and easy.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2005-05-05

PM

This game is just brimming with perfection at every turn. Just the *right* amount of getting stuck now and then, and figuring it out.

This game has a thousand tiny perfect details everywhere.

Btw, you can use hotkeys QWE, ASD, ZXC for the verbs as well.

Total Posts: 262

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

Karlok - 30 March 2017 03:27 PM

More partypooping…
There are way too many of those awful a-reno and a-who jokes

Not to mention [spoiler][/spoiler]a boo.[spoiler][/spoiler]
Still, I’m having a lot of fun. Now, if only I could find little Beeper on the circus ground.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

VAs are great
But my only issue is that i am loving some characters more than others

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

nomadsoul - 30 March 2017 09:26 PM

But my only issue is that i am loving some characters more than others

Just like in real life…  Tongue

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m loving it so far. I think more than any other of the attempts in recent years, this perfectly captures the feel of golden age adventure games. It’s rich with this morbid atmosphere which reminds me of Ron’s slightly darker games like Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island 2. I honestly never thought I’d play an adventure game which could conjure up that kind of feeling again.

If I have one complaint, it’s that I think they go overboard with their references and breaking of the fourth wall. I don’t need to continually be reminded I’m playing an adventure game or see characters from Maniac Mansion in the backgrounds of scenes or have a Monkey Island dialog choice. They have all these great characters populating a dense new world but they continually undermine it with stuff that completely breaks the reality. It’s OK to make a classic adventure game. You don’t need to constantly wink at the audience.

That’s just a small quibble though. I’m otherwise loving my time with it. It’s often laugh-out-loud funny and even genuinely sweet in spots.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

I’ve commited to streaming this blind on Sunday so I have two days of biting my fingernails while you guys are having fun with it… So happy it was all worth the wait (though I never doubted it for a second)!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top