• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Thimbleweed Park—Maniac Mansion style game from Ron Gilbert & Gary Winnick

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Karlok - 31 March 2017 02:15 AM
nomadsoul - 30 March 2017 09:26 PM

But my only issue is that i am loving some characters more than others

Just like in real life…  Tongue

Dolores fourth wall breaking is getting too much

Total Posts: 262

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

And I’m stuck again. Well, I had to play in the difficult mode. But I’ll figure it out somehow. I haven’t had a game this motivating for quite a while now, and I’ve never stopped playing adventures. I don’t even mind getting stuck, because this game is so much fun.

Sure, this permanent breaking of the fourth wall is a little annoying, but somehow I can’t hate the game for it.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It tells a lot about the design of a game when you are stuck and don’t immediately opt for a walkthrough. Being able to jump between the characters is a good way of cleansing the palette.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

tomimt - 31 March 2017 11:11 AM

It tells a lot about the design of a game when you are stuck and don’t immediately opt for a walkthrough. Being able to jump between the characters is a good way of cleansing the palette.

Exactly! Not to mention the world is just so huge, interesting and beautiful to look at—I don’t mind wandering aimlessly when I’m stuck. It usually is the other way around—a world is so big, it makes me frustrated and confused about what to do. You can tell this was expertly designed.

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

nomadsoul - 31 March 2017 07:46 AM
Karlok - 31 March 2017 02:15 AM
nomadsoul - 30 March 2017 09:26 PM

But my only issue is that i am loving some characters more than others

Just like in real life…  Tongue

Dolores fourth wall breaking is getting too much

It kinda makes sense with her though as she’s an adventure game programmer and that’s how she views the world. I think the issue is that all the characters do it even when it goes against their standard behaviour.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

tomimt - 31 March 2017 11:11 AM

Design and appeal
Also the fact that, wait wat Ron is thinking and you are trying to dismantle his brain Tongue

I knew it the stuff gonna be more complex than standard affair when Ron showed complex flow charts of scenarios on his blog

@sam

Yeah i agree, now that you have mentioned it, that feature should have been more exclusive to Dolores, because of her world view

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I finished it, very entertaining, the last part was specially good where all the characters use their specific skills to solve the last couple of tough puzzles. The ending was a bit too MI2 for my taste, and it’s just too meta going with all the message of Ron showing up in front of the computer saying they ran out of kickstarter dollars. I did have a chuckle with that part of calling Tim Schafer asking advice on out to get more money and ending the call with “I know I’m grumpy, but still made a better adventure with 1/10th of the money!”. Funny stuff

Well, in reality I’m still at the beginning…Sorry

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I just finished it, clocked about 14 hours. Overall, I’d say it’s the best modern retro adventure game made. Hell, I’d say it’s the most fun I’ve had with an adventure game in a good while. It’s not a perfect game and some design choices in it don’t really mesh up with what Gilbert said about making a game “people remember adventure game as, not as they were”, but most of the time it did manage to achieve that.

Voice acting is mostly good, I still stand behind that I don’t like the voice actor for Rayes. He doesn’t really deliver his lines well and his line reading sounds like he doesn’t fully understand what he’s saying. According to ImdB he doesn’t really seem to have any English language projects under his belt besides Thimbleweed, so that might be the reason.

I don’t really believe TP will bring that many new fans to adventure genre as whole though. It’s a pretty traditional game in this genre in the end I do believe that will cause people shun it a bit.

Oh and the ending was a bit disappointing. It does explain all the 4th wall breaking, but overall it was just a bit of an anticlimax.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I finished it late last night. Took me about 13 hours, including being stuck for a while on one puzzle because I’m an idiot. And I got all the specks of dust!

Overall, great game. I have lots of thoughts about both the puzzle design and the ending, so expect some verbal diarrhea from me this week-end.

One small thing about the ending: that Nurse Edna Easter egg nearly gave me a heart attack!

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 01 April 2017 06:22 AM

I finished it, very entertaining, the last part was specially good where all the characters use their specific skills to solve the last couple of tough puzzles. The ending was a bit too MI2 for my taste, and it’s just too meta going with all the message of Ron showing up in front of the computer saying they ran out of kickstarter dollars. I did have a chuckle with that part of calling Tim Schafer asking advice on out to get more money and ending the call with “I know I’m grumpy, but still made a better adventure with 1/10th of the money!”. Funny stuff

Well, in reality I’m still at the beginning…Sorry

LOL! I forgot today’s date.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

from you have gotten 14 hours guys? aww, still only in my third hour of gameplay

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Looking at the metacritic index, look like the game was universally praised. I find it funny that despite Adam Smith writing a positive review over at RPS, John Walker had to blurt out something negative in another article… ahhh tradition!

Karlok - 01 April 2017 08:31 AM

LOL! I forgot today’s date.

Innocent  Smile

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Walkers article was pretty interesting. Talk about hyperbole.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

tomimt - 01 April 2017 12:25 PM

Probably I’m biased, just found it funny because but my thought was “So many positive reviews, lets see RPS Walker destroying another modern adventure… wait, it’s a positive review by Smith… oh wait, here it is” Smile
(I don’t think an article complaining about the first 3 minutes of what essentialy is the tutorial is that interesting)

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 01 April 2017 12:43 PM
tomimt - 01 April 2017 12:25 PM

Probably I’m biased, just found it funny because but my thought was “So many positive reviews, lets see RPS Walker destroying another modern adventure… wait, it’s a positive review by Smith… oh wait, here it is” Smile
(I don’t think an article complaining about the first 3 minutes of what essentialy is the tutorial is that interesting)

Mr Underhill activity in comments section Smile

I didnt dig much into game yet(now in backlog) since Persona5 has consumed my spare time
But he makes a point on verb interface
also that NPCs repeat same lines for different characters

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top