• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #29: Syberia

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

mart - 04 September 2014 05:19 PM

As you know the game isn’t playing in the real world (in that case it would include many “inconsistencies”). And we know it isn’t a real train: a clockwork-operated train that you have to wind up at stations (the train ticket mentions that it is a “mechanical railway.”)

Yeah I know, and the game wouldn’t be the same if it wasn’t for the whole train thing, but I just had to mention it.

Mikekelly - 04 September 2014 11:35 PM

While Syberia is considered an “easy” adventure game, it is nice not to even think about using a walkthrough - just some common sense will solve most - if not all of the puzzles.

Lets not exaggerate how easy the game is, even though the puzzle themselves are rather easy, then it is easy to miss an item or an exit, and even though I like the empty screen then I’m not sure would want to run clueless around looking for some item I had missed.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m running behind everyone else—I’m still chasing Momo at the mo, actually. It’s been years since I played Syberia, and I am surprised at how real the gameworld feels. Plenty of exploring, which I like. Though the pace does seem rather slow—sometimes I’d almost rather that the game cut to the top or bottom of the stairs, rather than having me watch Kate walk slowly up and down them.

It is easy to miss a hotspot in these large environments, and backtracking to get what you missed is time-consuming. But maybe that’s partly what makes the gameworld seem so realistic.

I loved exploring the attic. I’ve decided that exploring people’s attics is a much better way to get to know them than sitting in their living room or parlor having polite conversation.

This is my favorite scene so far:

I can only get one screenshot per play session because of the graphical problems that occur in the game after alt-tabbing out.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I just found syberia available for the iPad I am downloading as we speak and will play this version as well as the DS version - I hope it’s really good!

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

The Enemy!! The Enemy!!

Finished the Barrockstadt chapter now.

I had completely forgotten how funny and full of quirky characters this place is, from the rectors, the stationmaster, the barge couple, professor Ponds and captain Malatesta, even the young man who tries to pick up Kate, all have funny dialogue and their quirky little ways. My favourites are still the rectors, but also the barge couple speaking in multiple languages and the less than accurate translations of the wife, and their sensible refusal to exchange a favour for a favour which is standard AG custom, and instead insisting on being paid in hard cash, was a nice touch.

It does have much more backtracking than in the previous chapter, but as it is a smaller location then it really didn’t bother me much. It even made a joke out of this by sending you in circles when trying to get a straight answer from someone, not uncommon to be send in these kind of circles in AG, but done with a finesse and humour you don’t usually see.

That it is a visually stunning game should be apparent to everybody by now, but that the sound side of the game is equally stunning, haven’t really been mentioned much. It is filled with with all kinds of little details like birds chirping in the sky and the sound of wings flapping whenever you see birds flying by, even the occasional yawn from the audience during professor Ponds lecture. I wish more games would pay attention to these small details in the sound side.

My first selected screenshot might be a very predictable one, but there is a good reason for it - It is simply Beautiful:

(Click on pictures to see full size)

Once again I had more trouble deciding on a second picture, but in the end I decided on this because… well I will leave the why to your own imagination:

I will for now restrict myself from posting more pictures, just in case anyone else wanted to post the same scene.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sefir - 04 September 2014 02:03 AM

Well, you do control Kate Walker you know… Tongue

Good one, Sefir! Thumbs Up

Iznogood - 04 September 2014 12:16 PM

I actually like that you can’t click on hotspots to hear Kate’s comments on them, I mean I can see for myself what I’m looking at and that it is a beautiful automaton or whatever, I don’t need the game to tell me that. Hotspot commentaries also have its place and can add to a game like Tex Murphy, but completely omitting them and letting us use our own eyes and thoughts instead of the protagonists also has its place, and is one of the things that makes this a very different game from most AG - If only they had also omitted that annoying “I have no reason to go down there” and simply replaced it with a “no go icon” or something similar, then it would have been perfect.

Exactly! All those doors you can’t do anything with make the entire “no hotspots” approach inconsistent…

Iznogood - 06 September 2014 08:16 AM

Once again I had more trouble deciding on a second picture, but in the end I decided on this because… well I will leave the why to your own imagination:

Because you like to stare at female buttocks you’re male?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Ok - downloaded the iPad version and I’ve started playing it.

The graphics are between the DS version and PC version - which is very good - plays like a dream too - so hopefully I can finish the ios version without any problems

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2011-06-16

PM

im also a bit late because of a pc problem, just finished the Valadilene Chapter today.
i was stuck for a while, when trying to create oscars feet, i forgot to bring the Metal Barrel to the factory and whitout it the assembly line machine does nothing

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Sadly, the ipad version of Syberia is only part 1. If added together, the price of the game could be pretty high for all the parts. And only part 1 is available now.

I will finish part 1 on the ipad - but may not buy any additional parts.

I am still playing the Nintendo DS version as well.

Heart

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

This is definitely what I would have gone for from this chapter.

I remember, before I got the game, looking at screenshots in various places and this one was always there and always stood out as it is absolutely stunning. Very often I check out screenshots of a game before getting it and most of the time I don’t remember them when I play the game, but this is so distinctive and beautiful that I was looking out for it when first playing the game.

And then I find that it is just a couple of second view of this amazing screen as Kate walks up some stairs!

Mind = Blown!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 117

Joined 2006-12-03

PM

@Intense Degree “And then I find that it is just a couple of second view of this amazing screen as Kate walks up some stairs!”

I had the same impression with the mammoth portal. And I still find it hard to understand why they inserted an animation here, instead of making the location interactive (so you could watch it in your own pace, or perhaps even better, if there was something to examine or to pick up).

Funny, I just realized it is a kind of build up (the drawing of a mammoth in the attic in Valadilene, the small mammoth toy, and now Kate climbs the “steps” to the gigantic mammoth statues).

Small addition to your posting with the beautiful shot of the tomb in Valadilene (#72). I just read the text on the sketch for this location (named in style) “Automate pleureur.” (weeper, mourner) And that’s probably a reference to Rodin’s “Le Penseur.”

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Intense Degree - 08 September 2014 10:59 AM

This is definitely what I would have gone for from this chapter.

Ahh the advantage of being the first to post any screenshots.

Intense Degree - 08 September 2014 10:59 AM

And then I find that it is just a couple of second view of this amazing screen as Kate walks up some stairs!

Well you can walk up and down the stairs several times, in fact you will have to walk up and down the stairs several times. Wink

TimovieMan - 06 September 2014 08:50 AM

What?!? No, that’s not it, it is because of… eh… the whole composition of the scene and the… um… vantage point high in the sky and… uh… the view of the sky through the window panes high in the sky… Okay, perhaps that also did cross my mind.

mart - 08 September 2014 12:06 PM

Funny, I just realized it is a kind of build up (the drawing of a mammoth in the attic in Valadilene, the small mammoth toy, and now Kate climbs the “steps” to the gigantic mammoth statues).

Well mammoths certainly is a recurring theme in this game.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Iznogood - 08 September 2014 12:45 PM

[

TimovieMan - 06 September 2014 08:50 AM

What?!? No, that’s not it, it is because of… eh… the whole composition of the scene and the… um… vantage point high in the sky and… uh… the view of the sky through the window panes high in the sky… Okay, perhaps that also did cross my mind.

What has surprised me is that the males here haven’t noticed something else about Kate. Look where she stores her inventory. Brings a whole new meaning to the Wonderbra!

Anyway arrived at Komkolzgrad safely although I had to go back to the disc version to get past the playing of the next voice cylinder.

I would have liked to have entered a screen here but the GOG version causes problems when I try. It locks up my system. But if I could it would be when the wall gates are being unlocked. That was so well done and gave a great impression of immense power being used - my old clockwork train set never did anything like that Frown

Life is what it is.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Jabod - 08 September 2014 03:36 PM

What has surprised me is that the males here haven’t noticed something else about Kate. Look where she stores her inventory. Brings a whole new meaning to the Wonderbra!

I did notice , though I think it is meant to represent an inner pocket of her coat.

Jabod - 08 September 2014 03:36 PM

I would have liked to have entered a screen here but the GOG version causes problems when I try. It locks up my system. But if I could it would be when the wall gates are being unlocked. That was so well done and gave a great impression of immense power being used - my old clockwork train set never did anything like that Frown

I have had absolutely no problems making screenshots with fraps, and I have done so for pretty much all the scenes in the game, so if anybody wants to post a specific scene, give me a PM and I can most likely provide you with the picture.

Total Posts: 117

Joined 2006-12-03

PM

@Iznogood (“Well mammoths certainly is a recurring theme in this game.”)
Yes, we all know - from the start - that the mammoths will be a key element in the story, but that thought was about the nice visual build up: first a drawing, then a toy, then a gigantic statue (and in the end the real thing). Something seems to build up here as well - buttocks, bras ...  Naughty

Re the automaton gardener (posting #43): Noticed now that the Syberia art book includes a different sketch with the note that it was (indeed) situated in the labyrinth/maze (for those who are also interested in deleted scenes).

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve just started the Barrockstadt chapter. I was a little sorry to leave Valadilene—I would have liked to explore the hedge maze. (Maybe in Syberia 3). Does it make sense to anyone that Kate insists on keeping her room booked back in Valadilene and leaving her suitcase there?

I thought this was a good line—Kate speaking (I think) to her boss—“I have a small bit of research to do.” That’s going to turn out to be an understatement.

I also enjoyed Oscar’s insistence that the difference between robots and automatons is that automatons have “an additional soul auxiliary.” I think some of the people from Kate’s life back in the US could use an additional soul auxiliary. Are automatons sometimes better people than people are?

As a goodbye to Valadilene, I thought I’d post one more screenshot, this one from the graveyard. It has just the right quality of mournful wistfulness.

I haven’t gotten very far in chapter two, but I did like this screenshot showing the station and the university behind it, giving a sense of the vast sweep of the territory Kate will be covering.

I’ve been surprised at how important the ambient animations are in some of the scenes. When everything is rather gray and misty, a glint of moving water or a flock of birds winging by adds a lot to the mood. When I see the screenshot without the animation, it feels slightly duller somehow.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top