• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #29: Syberia

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m not sure who it was, but I think it was IZ that said this game has a slow pace. I agree. Whether it is the un-double-clicked walking pace of Kate, or the inability to fast-click through dialogues. The only thing you can exit without reading it in its entirety is Anna’s diary. Which is also the one thing you should not skip, as reading it sets the scene for everything that is to come.

So, I am absorbing this slowly. Trying to see whatever I might not have seen when I first played the game. I think I said to Sefir that because I had played the game before I could catch up quickly. Now, I’m not sure I want to.

I’m not sure that setting a relatively quick pace for the game was the right thing to do. Particularly for a game that doesn’t want to be played rapidly.

I think I’m, perhaps, halfway through Valadilene. I’m behind, but thoroughly enjoying every bit of “behindedness.”

I’ll certainly finish. But at a more leisurely pace than the playthrough calls for.

Onward, but at a moderate pace. Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Yes, we all know - from the start - that the mammoths will be a key element in the story, but that thought was about the nice visual build up: first a drawing, then a toy, then a gigantic statue (and in the end the real thing).

Actually, Syberia 1 does a great job setting up Syberia 2 - these are really a part 1 and part 2 of a single story.

This is why I’m playing Syberia 1 then going thru Syberia 2 - to get the full story experience.

Now what the plot of Syberia 3 will be - I could not even guess.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

rtrooney - 08 September 2014 10:19 PM

I’m not sure who it was, but I think it was IZ that said this game has a slow pace. I agree. Whether it is the un-double-clicked walking pace of Kate, or the inability to fast-click through dialogues. The only thing you can exit without reading it in its entirety is Anna’s diary. Which is also the one thing you should not skip, as reading it sets the scene for everything that is to come.

Tim

Right clicking during conversations ends the current person speaking. The rectors would have been unbearable without this facility.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Mikekelly - 09 September 2014 06:59 AM

Now what the plot of Syberia 3 will be - I could not even guess.

Heart

That’s my big doubt and what ultimately is my great incognita. That is..  the story in Syberia that continued in Syberia 2, is a story with an ending that did not leave much room for much more. Okay, we could speculate to where Kate would go after this, but the truth is that the trip was over.  In fact the game’s name refers to that trip, that after the second part, for obvious reasons it no longer exists. So.. Syberia 3? I do not say that it can not go on, but where it will go Syberia 3 now? Hard to know for now. All I know is that my anxiety level by this third part is addressed in that direction.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Becky - 08 September 2014 07:00 PM

Does it make sense to anyone that Kate insists on keeping her room booked back in Valadilene and leaving her suitcase there?

It doesn’t make sense that she keeps the room booked, but she didn’t leave her suitcase. Wink

Just before leaving Valadilene, I went back to the hotel room for the suitcase only to find it missing. When exploring the train at Barrockstadt, you can see the suitcase next to your bed on the train.

Just because we didn’t see her retrieve the suitcase, doesn’t mean she left it. Maybe Oscar did it. Tongue

I’ve been surprised at how important the ambient animations are in some of the scenes. When everything is rather gray and misty, a glint of moving water or a flock of birds winging by adds a lot to the mood. When I see the screenshot without the animation, it feels slightly duller somehow.

Yes! The screenshots are beautiful, but the sounds make it feel like you’re actually there. Does wonders for the atmosphere! Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Just before leaving Valadilene I went back to the hotel and the suitcase was still there, and I tried to have Kate take the suitcase and she refused—claimed she didn’t need it at this point (whatever her stock phrase is).

I saw the suitcase on the train, but assumed it was Anna’s, ready for her before she became so ill and died. I did wonder if Kate would fit in Anna’s clothes.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

TimovieMan - 09 September 2014 11:29 AM

Just before leaving Valadilene, I went back to the hotel room for the suitcase only to find it missing.

Becky - 09 September 2014 11:45 AM

Just before leaving Valadilene I went back to the hotel and the suitcase was still there, and I tried to have Kate take the suitcase and she refused—claimed she didn’t need it at this point (whatever her stock phrase is).

Great, now I’ll want to know what the trigger is for the disappearing suitcase… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Mikekelly - 09 September 2014 06:59 AM

Actually, Syberia 1 does a great job setting up Syberia 2 - these are really a part 1 and part 2 of a single story.

I belong to the group of people that believe that there really was no need for a second game, that the story was pretty much told in the first and the rest better left to our own imagination.

Don’t get me wrong I also liked the sequel, and are looking forward to the third, but I would have been just as happy if Sokal had stopped after the first and made some other games instead.

TimovieMan - 09 September 2014 11:29 AM

I’ve been surprised at how important the ambient animations are in some of the scenes. When everything is rather gray and misty, a glint of moving water or a flock of birds winging by adds a lot to the mood. When I see the screenshot without the animation, it feels slightly duller somehow.

Yes! The screenshots are beautiful, but the sounds make it feel like you’re actually there. Does wonders for the atmosphere! Cool

I agree, looking at only the screenshots fells a bit flat compared to the whole in-game experience.

Becky - 09 September 2014 11:45 AM

I saw the suitcase on the train, but assumed it was Anna’s, ready for her before she became so ill and died. I did wonder if Kate would fit in Anna’s clothes.

I am pretty sure that it is Kate’s suitcase, though I can’t remember if we ever actually get to even open the suitcase, she just have people (Oscar) to take care of the tedious tasks like checking out of a hotel, fetching a suitcase, getting the proper travel documents, winding up the train… oh wait he doesn’t really lift a finger does he? Wink Oooor perhaps the developers just wanted to spare us the trouble of doing this, and never thought that anyone would actually think of going back for the suitcase.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 117

Joined 2006-12-03

PM

Huge, gigantic doors, that probably would enable mammoths to pass. Soft music of the bandstand, still audible when you walk towards the barge exit. A student who is studying the ceiling in the lecture hall (nowadays it’s tablets and cellphones all over).

Much details to enjoy again in the Barockstadt chapter as some have already pointed out. Another nice find is of course the transformation of a station into an aviary, and adding a canal alongside one of the platforms. The block of the wall is also well done (unlike the - traditional - crates near the garden), as you have to use the canal/barge and train to get there. The lock puzzle is probably the hardest puzzle in this chapter; at first I thought the messages on the answering machine were just a tease.

When I played the game the first time I was a bit disappointed about the (previously locked) garden, as I expected something astonishing (I have no idea how sauvignon grapes taste). One of the small things I wondered about was the lifebelt near the barge. I remember I clicked on it several times, as it looks like a prop that could be used (and it is a bit less realistic -no shadow I believe - and it contrasts with the muted palette that is used). 

In one of his comments on his inspiration Sokal spoke about the fact that Eastern Europe and Russia that were closed-off for decades. It’s symbolized by the wall (which may also refer to the Berlin Wall). I also wondered if the name of the tragic figure Malaparte (compare the name Bonaparte) has any meaning in this context (“wrong side”: is he on the wrong side or guarding the wrong side?). Anyhow, beyond the wall we are confronted with madness and darkness in the social realistic hell of Komkolzgrad.

@ Mikekelly:  Besides as a nice means to convey info to the player the lecture is, after the flashback cut scene in the first chapter, a nice flashforward that shows what the player awaits, and (I guess) another example (you refer to) of tying the first game and second one together. 

@Renacimiento. Like you I am also a bit worried, and I didn’t like the first screenshots at first (quite dark), but got used to it and they are rich in details. The journey wil continue with the Youkol people rescuing Kate. (I bet she won’t return to New York.;-)) Though Sokal stated once that there wouldn’t be a third episode, a decade has past, and I guess over the years his (superb) imagination has found a way to create another great journey for us (let’s hope he keeps control of all aspects of the game).

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

You’re all being daft! She’d never fit that suitcase inside her (Wonder)bra.
Obviously Momo was looking at it, the innkeeper found him, Momo ran off clutching the suitcase, realised he couldn’t go too far with it and dumped it on the train. From there Oscar, being Oscar, placed it in Kate’s room. After all, railway rules stipulate that no luggage must be left in the aisles or corridors as this would be a health and safety risk and we all know what Oscar is like where rules are concerned.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m having a minor problem. I’ve made Oscar’s legs. Or at least I think I have. I see the wood picked up and all the sawing and drilling and the legs coming off the end of the assembly line. But when I go down to pick them up, nothing’s there. And, when I go back to the control panel to try again, I’m told I “don’t need to use that now.” That would seem to tell me that I did it right the first time. Any thoughts?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 117

Joined 2006-12-03

PM

@rtrooney: If you got the big video (not the small one) with the metallic bird picking up the wood they should be there. Have you tried to replay the scene? Otherwise someone can send your a saved game perhaps (I run this on the PC).

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I got the big cut scene with the bird. I’ll try again from a saved game before resorting to begging.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Smack me several times on the forehead.  Pan  I missed a hot spot on the right side of the screen. Not where I expected the assembly to take place. I’m now trying to do what needs to be done to get the train running. I’ll then only be behind 1.5 weeks.

I’m enjoying the playthrough. I’m in no rush. Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Iznogood - 09 September 2014 12:14 PM

I belong to the group of people that believe that there really was no need for a second game, that the story was pretty much told in the first and the rest better left to our own imagination.

Don’t get me wrong I also liked the sequel, and are looking forward to the third, but I would have been just as happy if Sokal had stopped after the first and made some other games instead.

Really? It’s very strange, I can imagine people who do not want a third part, but to think that there were people who did not want a second part I find it very peculiar and rare.  That is, when it ended the first part (without going into detail) it was obvious and needed a second part, otherwise everything would have been inconclusive and incomplete , and at least I would have felt somewhat cheated that everything will be half finished.

mart - 09 September 2014 12:22 PM

@Renacimiento. Like you I am also a bit worried, and I didn’t like the first screenshots at first (quite dark), but got used to it and they are rich in details. The journey wil continue with the Youkol people rescuing Kate. (I bet she won’t return to New York.;-)) Though Sokal stated once that there wouldn’t be a third episode, a decade has past, and I guess over the years his (superb) imagination has found a way to create another great journey for us (let’s hope he keeps control of all aspects of the game).

I’m sure it will be so, I do not think Kate will come back to New York at all, and knowing that Sokal is working again in Syberia 3 is the only thing one could ask for.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top