• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckyLittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Anything Goes.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

One of the many things I wondered when seeing (parts of) the movies this weekend was how the eagles come and fight off the nazgul in the end, then suddenly when Frodo puts on the ring the eagles magically disappear, then a moment later the ring is destroyed and the eagles are back like it’s nothing.

So maybe that’s why they didn’t just fly. You know, they magically might disappear mid-air and everyone riding them would just drop.

Or maybe they were afraid that if there’s a bunch of eagles suddenly flying towards Mordor, they might’ve thought it odd and sent the flying Nazgul against them.

Or maybe the eagles just don’t give a s***!

Anyways, surely the books are much better Wink Even with the whole Frodo treading through a swamp for hundreds of pages, Frodo treading through a forest for hundreds of pages, Frodo treading through mountains and caves for hundreds of pages, Frodo treading through a wasteland for hundreds of pages… (obviously not literally so much, but I’m quite a dramatic guy)

Oh by the way, I’ve very much enjoyed this blog today! He goes through LotR one page at a time and then, well, blogs stuff about each page. It’s surprisingly interesting (and also funny, manages to do both) Smile
http://iampierremenard.wordpress.com/who-is-pierre-menard/
There’s a much better explanation of what’s up with that whole thing there…

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Give me Harry Potter any time.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Haha. I love how in Harry Potter there’s no consistency and the stuff doesn’t really make sense when you really think about it Wink

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

UPtimist - 07 January 2013 04:07 PM

Haha. I love how in Harry Potter there’s no consistency and the stuff doesn’t really make sense when you really think about it Wink

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

UPtimist - 07 January 2013 04:00 PM

Anyways, surely the books are much better Wink Even with the whole Frodo treading through a swamp for hundreds of pages, Frodo treading through a forest for hundreds of pages, Frodo treading through mountains and caves for hundreds of pages, Frodo treading through a wasteland for hundreds of pages… (obviously not literally so much, but I’m quite a dramatic guy)

At least the movie skipped the whole “Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo! Ring a dong! hop along! fal lal the willow! Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!” bits.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

I don’t know, I quite liked the mystery of Tom Bombadil. Though I can see why some might not be very happy with him Tongue

And the Barrow-Downs or whatever they’re called in English were crucial in the books (if only much later, around the final fight in Gondor (at least)) because of the stuff they picked up there, and that stuff getting cut out made for some loopholes in the movies. But anyways, I’m just nitpicky like that sometimes Wink

Oh and of course the whole Arwen part was rather bizarre, how it didn’t really make that much sense (you know the fellow discusses it in the blog I mentioned before, in those last pages of that chapter).

But on the other hand, the movies do have the Rhymenoceros, so that’s big props Grin

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

What’s a Rhymenoceros?
Something like a Hiphopopotamus? Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Indeed. The mutha’ flippin’ Rhymenoceros with flows that glow like phosphorous (who is not a large water-dwelling mammal, by the way (in case Steve told you that preposterous hypthesis)). Etcetera.

As you can see here:

The academy-award winning comedian/musician/actor (he really did win an academy award, you know) Bret McKenzie in his groundbreaking role as the elf who talks to Arwen.

And he has a whopping two lines in the movie! You can see why he’d go on to win an academy award. Even if he did win it several years later and for best original song…

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I agree with UP, I like Tom Bombadill and I would have loved to see how they did the barrow wight in the barrow downs, brilliant part of the book and would have been great in the film too. I was hoping for it in the extended version but it wasn’t to be. Frown

Anyway, just so we’re all clear on our nerdy sci-fi/fantasy blockbusters I shall re-post this which still makes me smile.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Haha, yeah, it does still manage make me chuckle a little, too Smile

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Patrick Steward! Woot! One of the best actors walking around on this planet today.

Total Posts: 165

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

UPtimist - 07 January 2013 05:15 PM

Indeed. The mutha’ flippin’ Rhymenoceros with flows that glow like phosphorous (who is not a large water-dwelling mammal, by the way (in case Steve told you that preposterous hypthesis)). Etcetera.

As you can see here:

The academy-award winning comedian/musician/actor (he really did win an academy award, you know) Bret McKenzie in his groundbreaking role as the elf who talks to Arwen.

And he has a whopping two lines in the movie! You can see why he’d go on to win an academy award. Even if he did win it several years later and for best original song…

I’m fairly certain he made an appearance in ‘The Hobbit’, too.

More lines, but unfortunately no guitar-based digi-bongo acapella-rap-funk-comedy folk… maybe in the extended version.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Here’s an oldie: Picard at McDonald’s Grin

I don’t know why they picked Riker to portray the part of The Crocodile Hunter in the cartoon, though…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Can you guys help me out here?

There is a site that has a list of all adventure games ever made per year.
It’s been posted here a few times in the last year, but I can’t find it (and the Google isn’t all too friendly either for once).

IIRC, it has over 900 adventure games, and it looks really ‘90s in web design (like it’s pure HTML). Also, I’m not entirely sure, but I think Fien was amongst those that linked to it.

Anyone know of which site I speak???

Thanks in advance!

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

http://www.thelegacy.de/Start/english.html

or

http://www.pagodagamedatabase.com/index.php

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top