• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkNelza

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #28: Gray Matter

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2014-06-05

PM

“Laura loved this chair.”
“Laura liked these curtains.”
“Laura touched this plant.”
“Laura liked wine.”
“Laura loved to sail.”

OMFG, if I hear the name Laura one more time today I’ll hurl. Wink

I found this chapter incredibly boring and easy and short.

Still kinda waiting for the game to begin ...

How many chapters are there in total??
Please let there be at least ten.

And if Sam and Dr. David end up doing the whole “we hate each other so much, oh look, now we’re kissing” then I really will hurl. Seriously.

Happy gaming!

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Gabriella Knight - 02 July 2014 02:45 PM

OMFG, if I hear the name Laura one more time today I’ll hurl. Wink

Laura would have liked that comment.

Gabriella Knight - 02 July 2014 02:45 PM

How many chapters are there in total??
Please let there be at least ten.

Sorry. The magic number is 8. The chapters become more interestng as they come though.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Yep, this chapter is pretty much David emoing about Laura. As far as I can remember, though, this chapter was the last one that was still dragging. After this things start to move along instead of being introductory - or at least David’s stuff should pick up a lot in any future chapter(s), when he’s done sniffing every old pyjama of Laura’s (so to say).

I too got very frustrated with every single “ooh, Laura…” comment in my first playthrough. But I loved the game by the end of it Wink

Hope I can catch up to this chapter soonish. Haven’t gotten the chance to play in several days.

Also, Sefir - that screenshot on the last page, does it look accurate in regards to the game? I mean, in my XBox version (mind you, I might also just have different settings) it has less contrast, and the characters are much more visible. But it looks really cool like that Grin

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2014-06-05

PM

Only eight chapters?? I hope they get longer and more complex.  Wink

I’m looking forward to what the brainwave-letter-thing is going to say. (Sorry, forgot the name.) I hope it’s something ominous!
I hope it’s not gearing up to write “I’m Laura.” Wink Maybe it’s spelling “impatient” in sympathy with me, the player.  Grin Grin

Happy gaming!

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Easily the worst chapter in the game. I couldn’t play it fast enough. Thank goodness it was short. They could have easily for me have left it out of the game.

However, it does give us some additional background information and some insight into how others see Sam. David just does not work for me as a playable character.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Sefir - 01 July 2014 04:34 PM

P.S.3 In some other time I would probably joke about diego and his infamous tradition about comumunity playthroughs, but a lightning-burned motherboard is no easy issue. Keep up man.

Aaaand, I’m back!:

(still at the beginning of the 2nd chapter, though)

That STILL doesn’t mean I’ll finish the playthrough (my reputation precedes me), but no one can say I didn’t try. Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Well, maybe we can just play together after everyone’s finished Grin I never get the opportunity to play, especially since someone always claims the living room before I can get in to play Gray Matter Tongue I’m still in chapter 2 too…

(Then again, the one or two playthroughs I’ve been in, I don’t think I finished either Wink)

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Chapter 3 is really bad - I sucked it down and finished it - urg.

This game would have been returned to half-price books and I would have begged for my 4 dollars back if the whole game would have been like this chapter.

I hope we don’t loose too many players because of this chapter.

Anyway - chapter 4 is just around the corner and it will be a return to greatness….

Neutral

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Finally finished chapter 2! Really like the Daedalus stuff, some of the best in the game.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

What’s the trigger to start chapter 4?
I’m stuck at 95% of the chapter and I’m missing some stuff from the Psi and Psi again quest. I have no idea what I should do. I went to a walkthrough and everything seems to be done. Any specific action in here?

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

wilco - 05 July 2014 08:04 PM

What’s the trigger to start chapter 4?
I’m stuck at 95% of the chapter and I’m missing some stuff from the Psi and Psi again quest. I have no idea what I should do. I went to a walkthrough and everything seems to be done. Any specific action in here?

These are all the steps, but I think I know the problem here…

In the Private Lab:
1) Examine work counter
2) Read the Ramusskin letter
3) Look through the Psi book and click on the bookmarks
4) Connect both machines (by clicking the monitor)
5)  Click again to zoom in: Set the correct numbers (following the book instructions
basically => 0=99, 1-26=%, 27-39=00)
6) Press the red button to reset the letters. Click again the counter and then the Rolodex to see a new letter (“I”). Keep pressing the Rolodex until “M” appears too. Unfortunately there seems to be another bug here. Sometimes the second letter will appear after pressing a couple times and sometimes you have to alter between pressing the counter and Rolodex.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Thanks Sefir, that did help but I was still stuck at 98% after.

Turns out what I was missing was clicking on the mirror in the bedroom. Not that anything happens by doing that…

Done with the chapter, on to the next one. Dr. Styles is clearly having Pathological Grief and should get some help.
Pool of blood in the end might be the start of something interesting

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Generally speaking, the game won’t let you advance until u complete the main events of that given chapter.

I had to back track in more than one chapter to find out what I had missed to advance.

The good news is chapter 3 did have an interesting cut scene at the end that looked very promising for future chapters so chapter 3 was not a COMPLETE loss.

Heart

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Though I’m sure most do, remember that the map shows where you still have points to gain (of course not much help in this chapter).

Anyways, what I really like about this chapter is the sort of relationship between David and Sam, in that David is still very adverse to Sam. I feel Jensen really manages to make it feel natural and interesting. Like, when looking at her room he wishes ‘that girl ... would stay in Oxford’ . I don’t know why I liked that comment so much, but… I guess it’s just nice that it captures the fact that although the player is at this point close with Sam, David still has had almost zero contact and feels accordingly. I think this relationship is where the game excels - maybe even the most Smile

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sorry I’m a bit late to the party, but the world cup has made a serious dent in my gaming time, and this CP started right in the middle of my biannual Mass Effect series playthrough and the weather has been quite good ... Anyway I’m here now, and I have managed to catch up and play the first 3 chapters.

I am in many ways actually glad that I was a bit late… Well not as such glad I was late, but glad I ended up playing all the 3 first chapters in one session, because it really isn’t before the 3rd chapter that we begin to get a glimpse of what this story is all about.

The main theme of this game is as I see it, about a conflict between Sam and Dr. Styles!
Not between them as persons or individuals, in fact Sam seems to have a lot of sympathy for Dr. Styles even though he acts like a real jerk, but a conflict between what they represent in this game.

One one hand we have Dr. Styles who after having lost his wife in an accident, believes that her “presence” is somehow still in the house, and have become obsessed with both keeping her memory alive, but also and more importantly with studies of the paranormal and supernatural elements. We also have weird and possible supernatural things happening during his experiments with “the lambs” and a possible supernatural connection to his wife’s dead.

Then on the other hand we have Sam, a magician who doesn’t believe in anything supernatural and believe that there is a rational explanation for everything.
In other words it looks like we have a classical line-up between a believer and a sceptic of paranormal and supernatural elements.

It is also by no means a coincidence that Jane Jensen chose a magician to represent the sceptics in this conflict.

I don’t know how many are aware of this, but when it comes to the paranormal and supernatural, magicians are usually the most sceptic of all, simply because they know how easy it is to fool people and that we only really see what we expect to see and not what is actually happening right in front of us. The most famous sceptic magician is probably James Randi, who after retiring as a stage magician devoted his life to exposing frauds and charlatans who claim to have paranormal abilities, the most famous one probably being when he exposed Uri Geller as a being a fraud. Randi is also the man behind The One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge which still haven’t been paid out, but also Houdini and many other magicians has been involved in similar challenges.

I find it hard to imagine the JJ shouldn’t be aware of this, and I believe that the very reason Sam is a magician in this game and not a street musician or something else, is because of Randi and his Paranormal Challenge. That we also get the whole Daedalus part of the game because of this, is only a plus and (I assume) an afterthought.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top