• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #28: Gray Matter

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

chrissie - 23 June 2014 12:48 PM

...love the snippets of info that appear on screen but they flash too quickly for me to read some of them completely!

They go by way too quickly for me. I can’t read a complete sentence in a split second. I’m lucky if I can read two words of it. I suppose my computer is faster than the game was made for and the screens load too fast to keep the “snippets” on screen. I wonder if there is a file where I could read the “snippets” outside of the game.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Overall, I thought the 1st chapter worked well at setting up the later events of the game and introducing us to the primary characters.

There are some problems with believability (was the rabbit REALLY needed?), but the game is beautiful, I adore Sam - the main character overall - the tricks are actually fun at this point and I am looking forward to the rest of the game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Okay, I’ve finished chapter 1.  Here are random my thoughts so far.

- Sam’s voice actress annoys me at times.  She delivers some lines REALLY weirdly, like she has no idea of the context of her sentence.  Even if it’s really obvious.  She seemed to get somewhat better as it went along though.

- Also Harvey’s voice actor sounds like he’s doing a bad Woody Allen impersonation.  But besides those two, everyone has been fine so far.

- Pretty good setup for the plot.  The mysterious experiment and Sam secretly pretending to be someone else are good hooks to get your interest.  Seems to be better at that than the beginning of Moebius was.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve watched the opening cut scene a few times now. Spoilers if you haven’t played Chapter 1 yet.

There’s a face that appears in the clouds right near the beginning. A symbol of Fate, maybe? That’s before the Oxford/London sign gets blown in the wrong direction. Then the motorcycle breaks down. It’s almost as if a “presence” is steering Sam toward Dread Hill House. I agree that the young woman applying for the job is so nervous that it wouldn’t take much to make her give up. I’ve watched the thing that scares her off, and it really does look like a bat just at first—it has a bat shape and it flies back and forth like a bat might. Then it seems to morph into a (plastic garbage?) bag at the moment right before it hits the women in the face. It falls to the ground as she runs away, and is still there on the step when Sam approaches.

Similarities to the cut scene during the experiment—the wind that comes from out of nowhere and seems to have a purpose, and a lone individual caught up in it. Differences: the second cut scene doesn’t have a face in the clouds beforehand, what it accomplishes is far more intricate, and it seems much more dangerous than the first incident, with the young man caught in it nearly blinded. The first wind seemed to have a purpose (scaring away the young woman). The second wind’s purpose is still a mystery.

Like chrissie, I’m intrigued by the necklace. We know that Sam is short of money, and yet at a jumble sale she found a necklace of the same quality as (and identical to)  one that Dr. Styles’ mother used to wear. This seems to reassure Styles about Sam.

I enjoyed the Christmas short story. I chuckled at the bit where Sam is concerned that her tattoos and piercings might make her seem odd to the family she was planning to visit. Given the current popularity of tattoos and piercings, they now would probably make her fit right in!

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Ain’t it convenient that I stopped playing at the beginning of the second chapter few months ago? Grin

I’m not going to replay the first chapter, because it’s still fresh in my memory. I like how “Gabriel Knight-esque” is the way you use the map to navigate around the city and locations, mixing with the staple of the horror stories with a mysterious mansion to investigate, something similar to Phantasmagoria or even Gabriel Knight 3.

The puzzles are a mixed bag so far, and magic tricks definitely showed some potential. There’s a plenty of things to investigate (anyone else bothered by the fact that there’s a “second” latency between pointing your mouse to an object and the description pops-up?), and the gameworld is “believable”, but I’d wish for something more in the diary apart from dialog tracking to get the grasp of the things easier. Perhaps something in the manner of a Black Mirror 2 dialog.

Finally, even though I’ve sad countless times how I didn’t like this particular trend of a “paper doll animation” for the cutscenes, don’t you think the final scene in the chapter 1 has one of the best monologues in adventures? Grin It almost hypnotized me too. Tongue

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Becky - 24 June 2014 07:48 AM

I’ve watched the opening cut scene a few times now. Spoilers if you haven’t played Chapter 1 yet.

There’s a face that appears in the clouds right near the beginning. A symbol of Fate, maybe? That’s before the Oxford/London sign gets blown in the wrong direction. Then the motorcycle breaks down. It’s almost as if a “presence” is steering Sam toward Dread Hill House. I agree that the young woman applying for the job is so nervous that it wouldn’t take much to make her give up. I’ve watched the thing that scares her off, and it really does look like a bat just at first—it has a bat shape and it flies back and forth like a bat might. Then it seems to morph into a (plastic garbage?) bag at the moment right before it hits the women in the face. It falls to the ground as she runs away, and is still there on the step when Sam approaches.

I know what you mean Becky about the face in the clouds & perhaps being the symbol of Fate steering Sam in the direction of Dread Hill House & also possibly for scaring the young woman away.

I watched the opening a few times & couldn’t really see that possibly the flying thing was a plastic bag to start with as just after hitting her in the face an ‘evil’ face seems to briefly appear behind her to make it look like she’s being whisked away. But on second thoughts yes, I think it was possibly a very clever piece of animation that perfectly illustrated how your eyes can play tricks on you in the dark & the plastic bag flying around on a windy dark night was misinterpreted as something else thus scaring the woman away back into the cab. 

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

chrissie - 24 June 2014 12:23 PM

I watched the opening a few times & couldn’t really see that possibly the flying thing was a plastic bag to start with as just after hitting her in the face an ‘evil’ face seems to briefly appear behind her to make it look like she’s being whisked away. But on second thoughts yes, I think it was possibly a very clever piece of animation that perfectly illustrated how your eyes can play tricks on you in the dark & the plastic bag flying around on a windy dark night was misinterpreted as something else thus scaring the woman away back into the cab.

I watched the opening again and I guess the object does settle down to be a plastic bag on the steps toward the end of its attack. It’s interesting to think the plastic bag could have been animated and made to attack the woman by some mysterious force. I don’t know what to make of the “face” in the clouds. It’s more like the “face” you see on a full moon than a real face.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I think it may be an excited Houdini happy to leave the backpack prison! Smile

But seriously, I think it’s a random object drifting by the wind

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

crabapple - 24 June 2014 12:55 PM

I watched the opening again and I guess the object does settle down to be a plastic bag on the steps toward the end of its attack. It’s interesting to think the plastic bag could have been animated and made to attack the woman by some mysterious force. I don’t know what to make of the “face” in the clouds. It’s more like the “face” you see on a full moon than a real face.

I don’t think the plastic bag was animated & attacked the woman - it just seemed like that flying around in the wind!

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

But on second thoughts yes, I think it was possibly a very clever piece of animation that perfectly illustrated how your eyes can play tricks on you in the dark & the plastic bag flying around on a windy dark night was misinterpreted as something else thus scaring the woman away back into the cab.

Yes, exactly. This is how I interpret it.

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

OK people, the waiting is over! Time to begin the second chapter!! Let’s go and find out what happened to the Horsepath Track that we imagined of in the experiment, more magic tricks to fool gullible victims, more laws to break and, most of all, more Daedalus Treasure Hunt!! Laughing
You have until 1/7/14 to finish the second chapter.

It is perhaps the first time in an AG community playthrough that so many of the participants actually replay the game. Gives it a special touch and I like it!  Smile
(Also congratulations to all. No spoiler thus far…)

Until then, let’s enjoy the view….

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

OK, I’ll get that time machine warmed up and get the 2nd chapter done by January 7th, 2014…..

Tongue

Actually, this is a good chapter so far - the mysteries start to deepen, Sam gets further and further into making heads or tails of everything unusual about her new position and employer. Sadly, the magic tricks start to get old quick in this chapter.

It is perhaps the first time in an AG community playthrough that so many of the participants actually replay the game. Gives it a special touch and I like it!

A great game - I feel bad waiting so long to play it and them only paying 4 dollars for it. I’d have bought a collector’s edition at launch if I had it to do over again.
  Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Mikekelly - 24 June 2014 07:55 PM

A great game - I feel bad waiting so long to play it and them only paying 4 dollars for it. I’d have bought a collector’s edition at launch if I had it to do over again.

Well I paid over $40 for it when it first came out and was not able to play it due to the copy protection. The NoCD that was available didn’t work with my version of the game. Later I repurchased a DRM-free version from ShinyLoot for $9.99 which works fine. So don’t feel too bad about only paying $4 for it. They cheated other buyers—at least the publisher of the boxed version did.

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2014-06-05

PM

Mikekelly - 24 June 2014 07:55 PM

OK, I’ll get that time machine warmed up and get the 2nd chapter done by January 7th, 2014…..

It was perfectly logical in my European eyes ......  Crazy  Laughing

So, I may have been a bit impatient and played chapter 2 on Sunday.  Naughty

I still think the game is almost ridiculously easy. There are so relatively few locations/things/people to interact with that it’s almost always a given what you need to do.

I don’t love the magic tricks, but I don’t mind them either. I do wish they were a bit more complex though.

The GASP! big shocking revelation about Styles’ wife dying in that accident fell rather flat with me, because I already read that part in the review here at the page. (Boo.  Wink ) So the very dramatic music and Sam’s reaction was a bit over the top.

Plotwise, I do think it’s getting more interesting. Clearly, the good doctor is gearing up for some big experiment.
And also, I really hope someone is working a “grand game” (or was it dame? I forgot) so that the whole Daedalus club angle is played more.

So, my opinion from chapter 1 still stands: beautiful game, great sound, slow plot with holes. (I can’t believe this is the same person who wrote GK1 - I spent WEEKS on that game when I first played it.  Laughing )

Happy gaming!

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2014-06-05

PM

crabapple - 23 June 2014 01:52 PM
chrissie - 23 June 2014 12:48 PM

...love the snippets of info that appear on screen but they flash too quickly for me to read some of them completely!

They go by way too quickly for me. I can’t read a complete sentence in a split second. I’m lucky if I can read two words of it. I suppose my computer is faster than the game was made for and the screens load too fast to keep the “snippets” on screen. I wonder if there is a file where I could read the “snippets” outside of the game.

Same here. And I want to read them! The few words I do catch sound interesting. Grin

Happy gaming!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top