• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nelza

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #28: Gray Matter

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Sefir - 24 June 2014 03:22 PM

It is perhaps the first time in an AG community playthrough that so many of the participants actually replay the game.

I ain’t no replaying it Tongue I only started it few months ago when it looked Gray Matter would win the playthrough voting but it didn’t. Smile

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

So, my opinion from chapter 1 still stands: beautiful game, great sound, slow plot with holes. (I can’t believe this is the same person who wrote GK1 - I spent WEEKS on that game when I first played it.

I could not agree more. I also got GK1 late and cheap - I do mean like 10 years after it was released so the store gave me a copy for 5 dollars.

And it was an amazing game - first GK was the best in my opinion. The third actually got mixed reviews and had weak sales.

Back to this game - I still just love Samantha, but the plot holes only get worse, until I had to roll my eyes around and groan about them.

The animation is still stunning and the voice work is spot on.

Still, in chapter 2, Sam really starts digging into Styles background and I’m amazed people didn’t figure out she’s not a student in any way shape or form. But her asking all these questions to all these people and the chance that she might get busted does add some danger to the game.

So, overall chapter 2 does the job, deepens the plot and allows us to get to know Sam and the other characters more fully.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Okay, I have still to get around to really playing it (I started a second playthrough about a month back but stopped really early) but I just had to say that Sam’s earing habits are crazy! I mean, just look at her go! Incredible speed, and she’s talking at the same time. The superspeed clinking of the cutllery is really the icing on the cake.

Almost gives me the creeps, the scenes where she’s eating… Grin

Anyway, need to get back to playing it, to get to discuss the finer details (like whether I consider something a plothole or not).

I’m guessing I’m the only one with an XBox version? The interface is somewhat bizarre Tongue

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2014-06-05

PM

Mikekelly - 26 June 2014 06:12 AM

So, my opinion from chapter 1 still stands: beautiful game, great sound, slow plot with holes. (I can’t believe this is the same person who wrote GK1 - I spent WEEKS on that game when I first played it.

I could not agree more. I also got GK1 late and cheap - I do mean like 10 years after it was released so the store gave me a copy for 5 dollars.

And it was an amazing game - first GK was the best in my opinion. The third actually got mixed reviews and had weak sales.

Back to this game - I still just love Samantha, but the plot holes only get worse, until I had to roll my eyes around and groan about them.

The animation is still stunning and the voice work is spot on.

Still, in chapter 2, Sam really starts digging into Styles background and I’m amazed people didn’t figure out she’s not a student in any way shape or form. But her asking all these questions to all these people and the chance that she might get busted does add some danger to the game.

So, overall chapter 2 does the job, deepens the plot and allows us to get to know Sam and the other characters more fully.

Heart

Oh yes, I also found the whole “I’m posing as a student” very weak! Another plot-point that makes it hard for me to suspend disbelief.

Ah well, I’m still hanging on in the hope of a biiiiig shocker. Grin

(And I love GK2. But GK1 was more “classic” adventure IMO, and one of the greatest.)

Happy gaming!

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2014-06-05

PM

UPtimist - 26 June 2014 07:05 AM

Okay, I have still to get around to really playing it (I started a second playthrough about a month back but stopped really early) but I just had to say that Sam’s earing habits are crazy! I mean, just look at her go! Incredible speed, and she’s talking at the same time. The superspeed clinking of the cutllery is really the icing on the cake.

Almost gives me the creeps, the scenes where she’s eating… Grin

Anyway, need to get back to playing it, to get to discuss the finer details (like whether I consider something a plothole or not).

I’m guessing I’m the only one with an XBox version? The interface is somewhat bizarre Tongue

I did notice the eating part as well - they could at least have had her pause a bit between bites.  Laughing  Laughing

Happy gaming!

Total Posts: 107

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Hi All,

Wasn’t sure about this game (I never got on with GK) but thought I’d give it a go and see. Just finished chapter 1, not too bad so far.

Liking the animated cut scenes, think I would have preferred the in game graphics to be more of a similar style, just a bit too different for my liking. Puzzles are ok if a bit linear, hoping they get more complex as the game progresses. The old hide it behind a door adventure game staple (red box on tower), gets me every time! Don’t mind the magic tricks, sure there was a mistake in one of them, will have to go back and check.

Cheers
Nod

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Almost gives me the creeps, the scenes where she’s eating…

Another giveaway that she’s NOT who they THINK she is. She attacked that food like she hadn’t eaten in a week! And actually in all probability she hadn’t.

This part made me very nervous, but it did add to the drama of the game.

Heart Eyes

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I suspect that Sam can get away with her imposture because she’s an American. She’s not that much more of a mismatch for Oxford than Harvey seems to be, for example. Elite universities want a mix of students—they want students from all over the world, with different interests, backgrounds and talents. They also want individuals who have overcome obstacles and have plenty of initiative. Sam would need good grades and test scores to prove she could handle the academics, but after that, her lifestory of being an orphan and in foster care would (frankly) have looked great on an application to Oxford. (Am I being too cynical here?) That said, Helena is highly suspicious of Sam at first, and rightly so. Helena seems to be the student with the most practical intelligence, despite her world-weary posturing.

Does anybody else think that, from what we’ve seen so far, Sam understands human nature much better than Styles does? Despite his years of study?

I’m enjoying the combination of uncovering the mysteries at Dread Hill House combined with the treasure hunt “game.” Should we assume that Mephistopheles placed many of the clues around Oxford in response to Sam’s interest?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finished the second chapter.
Story is ok, the development is predictable so far. I agree with that the whole Sam posing as a student is a bit forced nobody finding out. Liked the bit of fleshing out the students personality.

Puzzles are easy - magic tricks are nice but they are basically following a set of instructions, no thinking required, just setting up a trick that involved buying stuff from the magic store. I hope things get more complex for the magic tricks in the future.The treasure hunt has a good moment at the end because getting the password Judas actually required a little outside thinking while the rest of it was just following the hotpots.

I’m not liking the music, the piano tune was decent at first but now I find very repetitive playing over and over again.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Liked the bit of fleshing out the students personality.

I find the students to be a delightful bunch. I find their personalities to be interesting and the variety in them makes playing the game something I look forward to. I also must comment on the game’s music, for me the music in the game sets the mood very well - I would buy the soundtrack just to listen to it.

Heart

Total Posts: 107

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I seem to have hit a pretty serious bug!

I’ve got 100% for all the progress bars in Chapter 2, however I’m not being forwarded onto Chapter 3? I’ve seen the Lambs club video but still stuck wandering about with nothing else to do. Eventually looked online to see what I was missing but seems others have had the same problem with only solution to go back to a previous save. Apparently this can happen if you don’t do everything in the expected ‘correct’ order!

I wasn’t particularly enjoying this game much so don’t think I’ll bother. Good luck to everyone else, hope no-one else hits similar bugs.

Cheers
Nod

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

You won’t believe me, but just when I managed to fix my thunderstorm-fried motherboard, it looks graphics card went nuts, too. I’m now on some poor spare graphics card, which won’t run Gray Matter properly. Frown I hope to catch up during the next week.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Still have to finish the chapter, but just a few thoughts… I had forgotten about the “different” puzzles, like the sort-of dialogue puzzle in getting the student card to the library. It’s a nice change from most games that just focus on stuff that is fundamentally always the same, especially when it’s naturally tied to the game-world (instead of, like finding a safe you need to open, with some bizarre logic puzzle lock). This is what I really like in JJ games, even though Moebius was kind of lacking. It isn’t as good here as GK, but still a refreshing change.

Someone said they didn’t like the music but I’m really enjoying it.

The magic stuff indeed isn’t what it could be, luckily Jane said that for GM2 she’ll revamp it to something more interactive or such (~interesting).

Noddy - 30 June 2014 05:54 AM

I wasn’t particularly enjoying this game much so don’t think I’ll bother. Good luck to everyone else, hope no-one else hits similar bugs.

Eh, too bad. I do however find that the game gets better as it goes along. If anyone is on the edge, I’d urge them to keep going, as I feel that things only start getting interesting, and tied together, later.

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Well, here we are. Most of us finishhed chapter 2 and are ready to proceed. How about something different? In chapter 3 we take control of the good doctor. It will give us some good background info, and more character development from his side. You have until 8th of July (I heard some complaints from some participants on the other side of the Atlantic Wink ). It is a smaller chapter and will give a chance for everyone who stayed behind to catch up.

Why I don’t have such a view in my office? It’s unfair!

P.S. I really love the game’s soundtrack. I find it fitting and emotional. Not in my top-10, but a very successful one nevertheless.

P.S.2 I was really unaware of the bug that doesn’t allow players to continue to chapter 3. Up to now, no fixing patch was released. If the problem can be sold by loading a save game, it is easy for me to send a save file just before the end of chapter 2 to everyone interested. Just PM me. Hope we won’t find more of those.

P.S.3 In some other time I would probably joke about diego and his infamous tradition about comumunity playthroughs, but a lightning-burned motherboard is no easy issue. Keep up man.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

really love the game’s soundtrack. I find it fitting and emotional.

I could not agree more. I’d listen to it as a soundtrack album anytime. The game’s music can make or break it and in this case really made it. Rather spooky and mood enducing.

Anyway - playing the game again is a nice treat for the music alone.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top