• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Broken Sword 5 - Episode 2

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2012-01-24

PM

diego - 24 April 2014 09:37 AM

Ok, the hieroglyph puzzle is great, but WHY THE HELL is this:

south?

Yeah, I missed that one too. I only got the logic of it after looking it up in the hint system.

Also can someone explain the logic of figuring out the numbers in the hieroglyph puzzle? That one I still don’t get.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Castledoque - 24 April 2014 11:11 AM

Also can someone explain the logic of figuring out the numbers in the hieroglyph puzzle? That one I still don’t get.

My line of thought was The maximum number is seven, we know that an horizontal trace in middle equals 2 and a trace in the bottom equals 4. So a trace in upper side must equal 1. After that is just the sums of the various combinations of traces (Ex: one in the up + one in the bottom = 5

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2007-11-28

PM

south?

I gotta confess I only completed that puzzle cos I was positive I got all the other symbols right and I just clicked on all the labels for that remaining one. Except when I clicked the right label the puzzle unclocked too quickly so I didn’t see which one it was I had just clicked on. So it was South huh?

Cos the symbols taken one by one mean “Look at the young cities kingdom”. Kingdom is the two horizontal lines I think? I may have gotten it right without “cheating”, but the name of the location marked on the map didn’t mention a kingdom.

[spoiler]Also, is there a glitch in George’s voiceover in that puzzle? When you examine the symbols marked with letters (in the puzzle interface, not on the picture in your invetory), he says something “This is the symbol that was marked by an a, perhaps it refers to what Gehnen marked with a b on the map?”, or some kind of mismatch like that.[/spoiler]

I think it’s based on the binary system. It’s base two, so the top, middle and bottom sections of the vertical line represent the 1s 2s and 4s. And a presence or lack of a horizontal dash is either a 0 or a 1.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

ZeframCochrane - 24 April 2014 11:36 AM

I’m proud to say I solved that one by my own - I’m not saying my logic may be right, but I figured short middle line is 2, long down line is 4, and looking at the symbol looking as “F” long upper line is 1 because we already have short middle line and we need to add 1 in order to get 3 Grin That way, you can figure the numbers only by adding together correct value of lines.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

south?

Yeah, I also didn’t get that one, translating each symbol it is something like look beginning/young city region/kingdom which I guess can be translated to look toward where it all began, which again can be interpreted as the direction towards Jerusalem or simply the middle east, which of course is south of Europa (though south-east of Spain), so… I guess it does make some sense. It didn’t make it any better that I had incorrectly translated the symbol for day as south, even though day makes more sense in the context of the other words, so I had to use the hints to get those two words.

A horizontal line in the middle = 1 in the top = 2 and in the bottom = 4, so you have all the numbers from 1 to 7.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

^
It’s the only puzzle I used the hint system for and I am glad I did because I would have never solved the one above.
I was able to solve all glyphs except for the numbers and the one posted above.
But I figured if I got everything else I could just use all permutations for the numbers.

I might have held through if I had known the game checks if you’re correct per row.

Edit: Wait Diego….you’re telling me you managed to solve the hieroglyphs puzzle but not the one in the chapel? Or were you refering solely to the numbers in the former puzzle?

Joined 2012-01-24

PM

Cool. Thanks!  I sort of get it now…

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Iznogood - 24 April 2014 12:33 PM

south?

Yeah, I also didn’t get that one, translating each symbol it is something like look beginning/young city region/kingdom which I guess can be translated to look toward where it all began, which again can be interpreted as the direction towards Jerusalem or simply the middle east, which of course is south of Europa (though south-east of Spain), so… I guess it does make some sense. It didn’t make it any better that I had incorrectly translated the symbol for day as south, even though day makes more sense in the context of the other words, so I had to use the hints to get those two words.

No no no no. It’s referring to the map. The first sentence tells you to start at Sun City and travel east, to the river. Then, the second sentence tells you to travel “looking towards the region of the Young City” (that’s what the symbol means), i.e. point (e) on Gehnen’s map. So, “travel towards point (e)”, i.e. southward (based on where you are at this point after following the instructions of the first sentence).

(I’ve just finished cracking that puzzle, and I absolutely loved it.)

Joined 2007-11-28

PM

Kurufinwe - 24 April 2014 02:41 PM

No no no no. It’s referring to the map. The first sentence tells you to start at Sun City and travel east, to the river. Then, the second sentence tells you to travel “looking towards the region of the Young City” (that’s what the symbol means), i.e. point (e) on Gehnen’s map. So, “travel towards point (e)”, i.e. southward (based on where you are at this point after following the instructions of the first sentence).

(I’ve just finished cracking that puzzle, and I absolutely loved it.)

I don’t get why the two horizontal lines are needed though. Surely it would’ve meant soutwards even without “region”? Like, “look towards the Young City”?

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

ZeframCochrane - 24 April 2014 02:44 PM

I don’t get why the two horizontal lines are needed though. Surely it would’ve meant soutwards even without “region”? Like, “look towards the Young City”?

Because you’re just going in that general direction rather than making a beeline for the city??? (Or because Charles Cecil wanted to make the puzzle harder? Tongue )

Joined 2007-11-28

PM

Kurufinwe - 24 April 2014 02:46 PM

Because you’re just going in that general direction rather than making a beeline for the city??? (Or because Charles Cecil wanted to make the puzzle harder? Tongue )

Lol oh well. Anyway, stil wondering if I was the only one to get those mismatched sentences about the letters next to the symbols.

Joined 2012-01-24

PM

ZeframCochrane - 24 April 2014 02:49 PM

Anyway, stil wondering if I was the only one to get those mismatched sentences about the letters next to the symbols.

I think I got those too.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Kurufinwe - 24 April 2014 02:41 PM

Perhaps, but that doesn’t really makes any sense. It is suppose to be [spoiler]directions to a place written in an ancient language or some sort of hieroglyphs, meaning that the symbol will have to always mean south, at least in the context of giving directions. Now it could of course mean “looking towards the region of the Young City” which makes sense, but then the translation “south” is actually incorrect as that would depend on your position.[/spoiler]

My point is that as interpretation of the directions it might be correct, but that requires an extra step of logic, that has nothing to do with the actual translation, so there is as I see it really a flaw in the puzzle and instead of having the “south” as the correct translation then there should have been a “look towards the region of the Young City” option or similar, which we could then later find on the map to get the actual direction. It seems they made this extra difficult for the sake of the puzzle, rather than let us make a realistic translation of the text.

Joined 2007-11-28

PM

Iznogood - 24 April 2014 03:12 PM

Perhaps, but that doesn’t really makes any sense. It is suppose to be [spoiler]directions to a place written in an ancient language or some sort of hieroglyphs, meaning that the symbol will have to always mean south, at least in the context of giving directions. Now it could of course mean “looking towards the region of the Young City” which makes sense, but then the translation “south” is actually incorrect as that would depend on your position.[/spoiler]

But you’re supposed to be looking towards the Young City region from wherever the preivious steps led you to, and from that point looking to the Young City region will be making you look south. I suppose that is not the literal translation of the symbol, but rather Goerge having to pick a meaningful direction and assign it to that symbol. It’s part of the puzzle.
Cos in the end George isn’t trying to give an academic translation of the ancient symbols, but rather to reconstruct a useful set of instructions to reach the destination.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

ZeframCochrane - 24 April 2014 03:15 PM

But you’re supposed to be looking towards the Young City region from wherever the preivious steps led you to, and from that point looking to the Young City region will be making you look south. I suppose that is not the literal translation of the symbol, but rather Goerge having to pick a meaningful direction and assign it to that symbol. It’s part of the puzzle.

Yes but that has nothing to do with the actual translation of the text, only how we interpret the text, which is otherwise done automatically by Nico (as I recall). I get your point but I still think it is a small flaw in the puzzle.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top