• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Broken Sword 5 - Episode 2

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 25 April 2014 12:17 PM
Kurufinwe - 25 April 2014 12:03 PM

By the way, I have a question: Why was the game called The Serpent’s Curse?

Ouroboros, eternity symbol in Gnosticism. It’s in the painting and it is mentioned several times.

Yeah, and for a German market BS5 is called Der Sündenfall, or The Fall of Man.

BTW, I missed more of this:

It was only 2 or 3 locations at the beginning of the game you could visit in a non-linear manner. Is it me or majority of new titles go along the quite linear trend? I’m not saying it’s a bad game because of that (because it isn’t), but I’d like a little variety, and not that every game feels like going through a tunnel.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

I think it’s just a great deal easier to organise puzzles in a more linear fashion. It’s always a sticking point with modern adventures, but provided the puzzles that are there engage me, I genuinely tend not to notice.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

noknowncure - 25 April 2014 03:21 PM

I think it’s just a great deal easier to organise puzzles in a more linear fashion. It’s always a sticking point with modern adventures, but provided the puzzles that are there engage me, I genuinely tend not to notice.

I’m with you, but then I start imagining, just for the sake of changing the pace, if the game suddenly decides to give you more locations to visit at once. I’m not saying it’s a brilliant idea, but what if, once in Iraq, the Gehnen’s map become interactive with all those points to visit at once until you work out the final destination. It’s just that somehow it used to be a more prominent feature, and other than the budget and time constraint issue I really see no other explanation why it wouldn’t be used more.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1667

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

The most annoying scene in the BS5 for me was the one with childish
radio-rhyming talk between Kat and Pearl.
Anyone else feels the same way about those two hens?

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

DarkEye - 25 April 2014 04:26 PM

It was ok until George and Nico decided to dance along with it. Grin

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

diego - 25 April 2014 02:29 PM

It was only 2 or 3 locations at the beginning of the game you could visit in a non-linear manner. Is it me or majority of new titles go along the quite linear trend? I’m not saying it’s a bad game because of that (because it isn’t), but I’d like a little variety, and not that every game feels like going through a tunnel.

The one complaint I do have about this game, is that it is a bit too linear for my taste, and it is a problem I have with many modern games. In all fairness the BS series has never been the most non-linear games, and it didn’t really bother me too much especially not in the 2nd part even though it is a bit more linear than the 1st part.

And yeah, you travel Iraq idea would have been a nice addition, though perhaps a bit dangerous given the state of Iraq.

diego - 25 April 2014 04:42 PM

I quite enjoyd it, but I’m perhaps a bit biased after playing the Mass Effect trilogy recently Grin

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I noticed in the GOG site an “update” to BS5 next to “My Games” files. It’s not an update file but the whole installing file was updated. I did not see any difference in the files but, after installing the new installer, I noticed a 50MB increase in the size. Does any one know what is that about? And what does the new installer change/improve in the game? If any?

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

diego - 25 April 2014 04:42 PM

Actually, I found the whole thing very weird, but it cracked me up when they decided to dance, that is why I overall loved it Grin

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

I just finished Episode 2! I would’ve enjoyed it more if there were no “episodes” at all, but I’ve harped on about that enough already.

I really enjoyed the game from start to finish, almost. My complaints about Episode 1—empty environments, meandering story—were completely addressed. The more secluded areas in Episode 2 were more appealing and the environments looked outright incredible. Once again, George and Nico were fantastic together, even if their team-work was a bit of a missed opportunity.

I admit that by the final goat puzzle, I was ready for Shears to light those henchmen up so I could move on. I wasn’t in the mood for another elaborate puzzle—I was a bit grumpy after decoding the Tabula. I didn’t think that puzzle was very clear at all. I thought each “element” of a symbol corresponded to a word, but then some symbols apparently indicated directions…didn’t make sense to me, or it wasn’t well explained.

Regardless, it’s definitely up there with the first 2 games—it may even be better than BS2, but I’d need to replay it to cement my opinion.

A lot has been said about the story, especially in Rock Paper Shotgun’s scathing review. I thought it was fine, if a little anti-climactic. You never feel [spoiler]the severity of Langham’s plan because the power of the Tabula is never demonstrated, and his motivations are sketchy at best. He wants to raise Lucifer because...? Because it was the will of his ancestor? What will actually happen anyway?[/spoiler] It’s all very ambiguous, which is totally fine by me, but it’s not the best story motivation.

On the more negative side, walking is still achingly slow, pauses between dialogue have been sped up but are still too slow, my game crashed 2 or 3 times near the end, and there were a few pathing issues where George would walk on top of the scenery, breaking the illusion of depth. Still, a very good game that I’d recommend to anyone who enjoys adventure games.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I’m really surprised by the overwhelmingly positive reception here. Sure, it’s a good game but better than BS2? Hell it’s not even as good as BS3.

While playing Episode 1 I was surprised how much a good time I was having, but by the end of Episode 2 I realized that was because we have been starved of these kinds of games since the 90s.

I do hope BS5 helps spark a revival, if only because the competition might bump up the standard to the point where any new traditional-styled game with great graphics isn’t praised for being, well, traditional with great graphics.

At the moment I feel like Adventure Games are still cycling in phases - one year it’s retro-pixel, the next it’s QTE interactive fiction which is the flavor of the month. Meanwhile the 1st person solitary exploration games that were coming out by the dozens a few years ago have all but vanished. Bringing back a degree of diversity would be very good for the whole scene.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2014-04-09

PM

Zifnab - 02 May 2014 11:20 PM

I’m really surprised by the overwhelmingly positive reception here. Sure, it’s a good game but better than BS2? Hell it’s not even as good as BS3.

While playing Episode 1 I was surprised how much a good time I was having, but by the end of Episode 2 I realized that was because we have been starved of these kinds of games since the 90s.

I do hope BS5 helps spark a revival, if only because the competition might bump up the standard to the point where any new traditional-styled game with great graphics isn’t praised for being, well, traditional with great graphics.

At the moment I feel like Adventure Games are still cycling in phases - one year it’s retro-pixel, the next it’s QTE interactive fiction which is the flavor of the month. Meanwhile the 1st person solitary exploration games that were coming out by the dozens a few years ago have all but vanished. Bringing back a degree of diversity would be very good for the whole scene.

There are countless first person exploration type games available for iPad so if you crave those, that’s where they are. Mind you, most of those are pretty awful from my experience but they are being produced like crazy for that platform for some reason.

Speaking of iOS, when is BS5 Episode 2 coming out?

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2004-08-03

PM

OK, I’ve been busy for a while. I don’t want to dig through and see spoilers but I understand that the second round is out. I can’t figure out how to download and install it from GOG. I just end up re-downloading the first part of the season pass. Am I missing something here?

YouTube: Weird Gaming Adventure
IG: weird_gaming_adventure

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2006-06-01

PM

Try this Link to refresh your account. It worked for me:
https://secure.gog.com/en/account/refresh

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2004-08-03

PM

Thanks but it didn’t work. Do you remember if it will say episode 2 in my collection profile?

seagul - 24 May 2014 09:22 PM

Try this Link to refresh your account. It worked for me:
https://secure.gog.com/en/account/refresh

YouTube: Weird Gaming Adventure
IG: weird_gaming_adventure

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2006-06-01

PM

It worked immediately for me.
I don’t remember well, perhaps you have to install the whole game anew?
How big is the installer?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top