• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Broken Sword 5 - Episode 2

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

rottford - 21 April 2014 10:16 PM

Finally finished the game. Excellent, and I’m totally glad I backed. Just wishes I backed for more money. It is definitely my third favorite in the series (first, second, this one, third (by a hair) and then the fourth, which I actually did enjoy). Nothing I could probably add to the conversation, other than this:

By far, my favorite joke in the game is right in the beginning. As George, if you look at the stained glass at the cafe, George says, “I always was a sucker for Parisian stained glass.” But if you look at it as Nico, she mentions how only tourists seem to really love Parisian stained glass. Hilarious!

Yes, hearing George and Nico’s independant and often opposing Thoughts on the same items and landscapes provided a fair bit of fun.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Replaying the first part. Those cockroach jokes never get old Grin

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

Origami - 21 April 2014 08:38 PM

^
Haven’t final areas always been small within the BS franchise?

Yes and no. The first and third have small ending locations but this one was smaller than either. it was only two screens. Even the really small Shadow of the Templars end location was three screens. But that’s a very minor quibble and don’t let that distract you from what is imo a really good game.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

I really enjoyed the episode 2. The puzzles were great and I really like that Shears character. I laughed a lot when George was playing the dumb American Grin

The only puzzle that truly frustrated me was in the cave with the Tabula - I used hints, I don’t get how was that supposed to be solved. But I surprised myself how quickly I solved the cable car thing, I guess playing Monkey Island helped me to think about weird solutions. Smile

About the ending - I have seen a lot of comments where people are appalled that they ate the goat - I don’t get whats the big deal, I think they are exaggerating - I found the whole thing funny, especially coming from Shears who has done that. I just knew George and Nico would hook up again - I don’t get why they broke up in the first place, they haven’t explained it properly. 

Total Posts: 161

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

I am not sure, how BS 5 is considered so much better than Moebius. I am quite blind to techinical side of games, but i think Moebius was more cinematic. (Sure, BS 5 aimed more for recreating mood of first BS.)

Anyway, isn’t world of Moebius more consistent? Moebius effect makes lot of people into reincarnations of someone from past. In many BS games -superenatural exists only as McGuffin. There are lay lines, but they manifest in one place. There are deities, but they only have any signifance when specific ritual is used in specific time in specific place. Guess it is left over from lost world genre, where lost worlds tend to be destroyed and don’t have any effect of everyday life.

Talking villain vice -villain of Moebius could have similar goals in world without moebius effect, that person just needed other means of reaching personal goals. How could any of BS series villains be succesful without supernatural? By hijacking atomic bombs maybe?

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

garbo - 22 April 2014 07:38 AM

I am not sure, how BS 5 is considered so much better than Moebius. I am quite blind to techinical side of games, but i think Moebius was more cinematic. (Sure, BS 5 aimed more for recreating mood of first BS.)

Being cinematic has very little to do with it. From a purely technical perspective Broken Sword 5 is far more competent product in comparision to Moebius. It has some bugs, but overall nothing huge. Also the quality of art is more concistent in BS 5 as well, where as Moebius has a higher ratio of bad/good art.

When it comes down to it, I feel that Broken Sword 5 delivers on the goals it set out in the first place. It returns BS series in the realm of point & click games, as well as tells a nice story that starts out as an insurance fraud only to reach its supernatural climax. Also I like that the story doesn’t take itself too seriously, but rather tackles the plot in the fashion of Indiana Jones or any other serial movie inspired adventure. And the puzzles are pretty good as well.

Moebius on the other hand starts out more ambitious in story, but fizzles out in the middle and kind of falls flat on the ground in the end. It also has a share of plot elements that are left unaswered as well as a villains that feel distant and underwhelming. I also did’t care much of the characters.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

zeljka - 22 April 2014 06:48 AM

I really enjoyed the episode 2. The puzzles were great and I really like that Shears character. I laughed a lot when George was playing the dumb American Grin

The only puzzle that truly frustrated me was in the cave with the Tabula - I used hints, I don’t get how was that supposed to be solved. But I surprised myself how quickly I solved the cable car thing, I guess playing Monkey Island helped me to think about weird solutions. Smile

About the ending - I have seen a lot of comments where people are appalled that they ate the goat - I don’t get whats the big deal, I think they are exaggerating - I found the whole thing funny, especially coming from Shears who has done that. I just knew George and Nico would hook up again - I don’t get why they broke up in the first place, they haven’t explained it properly. 

It’s just a guess, but going by what we know from George hinting etc, it was basically down to Nico. They were together at the end of BS1, but George then had to rush home due to his dad dieing. Afterwards, he returned to Paris only to find Nico in over her head in trouble with a story she was following. At the start of BS3, they weren’t together anymore and George replied to Harry’s question about sort of having a girlfriend with “only if it helped her career.” I think that’s where it ended. Nico was to busy focusing on work and they both wanted different things in life.

They clearly like each other a lot and the way they play off each other in the games shows there’s something there. I’m hoping the end of BS5 wasn’t just a heat of the moment sort of thing and they actually do get back together.

Are people really bothered about the goat? lol

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

Another thing that bugs me about BS series -wouldn’t Nico be much more logical protagonist for whole series of games? Getting George involved is so contrived in sequels and happens only because they are sequels of first game. On another note, Malachi has his role as investigator because his gifts.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Are Malachi’s gifts doing a really good impression of Quasimodo from the hunchback of notre dame?  Grin

I get your point of Nico being the lead. It is a good point, but I think the reason why it’s always been a mix of the two is because even when they’re not working together they end up on the same case.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

Main asset of George is being american and having humorous view of Europe. Comedy series about tourist always getting in trouble abroad without conspiracies involved could be nice.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

You clearly don’t know the games very well…

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2008-01-31

PM

garbo - 22 April 2014 08:34 AM

Main asset of George is being american and having humorous view of Europe. Comedy series about tourist always getting in trouble abroad without conspiracies involved could be nice.

There’s always something which makes a series identifiable, and in most cases it’s better to do something brand new than try to change the formula (especially if it’s loved by the fans) . How about a comedic Gabriel Knight game without Grace?

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

teme - 22 April 2014 08:41 AM

There’s always something which makes a series identifiable, and in most cases it’s better to do something brand new than try to change the formula (especially if it’s loved by the fans) . How about a comedic Gabriel Knight game without Grace?

Whole concept of making sequels to things that can’t be serialized without contrivances, is little sad. Actually, Gabriel is most intresting as cursed character, his werewolveism is little watered down compared to family curse and GK 3 could be changed into Grace game without loosing too much.

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2008-01-31

PM

garbo - 22 April 2014 08:58 AM
teme - 22 April 2014 08:41 AM

Whole concept of making sequels to things that can’t be serialized without contrivances, is little sad. Actually, Gabriel is most intresting as cursed character, his werewolveism is little watered down compared to family curse and GK 3 could be changed into Grace game without loosing too much.

I don’t quite get it… do you have examples of good sequels? Or a good series?

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

I’m hoping that the romantic moment at the end is a way for Charles Cecil & Co. to permanently tie George and Nico together—and stop the constant “all-to-convenient” reunions right before a big case.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top