• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Broken Sword 5 - Episode 2

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

How many agames do you finish in a day?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’m regretting playing part one when it was released, this could’ve used a “previously on Broken Sword” because I’m forgetting some stuff that happened. I’m getting old… Smile

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Yeah, me too. I had to replay a small part of the first episode and I’d forgotten all the names. Who the hell is that guy, why am I carrying those papers around, what’s all this stuff in my inventory. So I had a quick look at a walkthrough to jog my memory. Smile

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Finished it just now. I liked episode two better. More action, harder and for the most part better puzzles, no running around and visiting the same locations many times. I’m not one of the die-hard fans of the BS series and I often wondered why. I love the cartoony graphics, the voiceacting of the main characters is always good, the stories are predictable but so are the Tex Murphy stories and I adore Tex. I think the main reason is the mix of reality and fantasy. George and Nico are level-headed, normal people surrounded by all kinds of lucatics and imbeciles. Like that idiot of an inspector in BS1 or that awful Lady Piermont. No shortage of idiots in Broken Sword 5 either, but I had fun playing it and hats off to Revolution. They worked miracles with a small budget.

Spoiler alert. Don’t read if you haven’t played the game.
That Eva character did not add anything. Beats me why she was there at all.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Thanks for the review! Thumbs Up How would you rate BS5, and more importantly - how would you rate BS5 compared to previous BS titles?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I don’t do comparative scoring. Tongue You should ask real BS fans who still remember the many details I have forgotten. My score for BS5 is 3.5 out of 5.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Interesting…people are saying the puzzles are better, but I’m finding some of the later ones more of a grind and not fun.

The only puzzles I haven’t liked so far are the ones inside the cave when you find the Tabulas, and the one where you have to cheer Pearl up by playing the music.

Apart from that, I’m loving the game. The story is what I expect from a Broken Sword game and the artwork is stunning. Surely this has to be up there for best looking game from kickstarter?

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Question to those who have finished it(I haven’t so keep the answer simple as possible).
You can dispose of the flowers, photo and some other paper early in episode 2.
If you keep them, is there any possible use for them later, possibly unlocking an achievement?

Just a simple yes or no, or tell me if George gets rid of them automatically at one point.
You can put it in spoiler tags if you feel it still ruins something.

My immediate review of this game is at least 4 out of 5. Not an avid Broken Sword fan*, nevertheless I am slightly biased because it caters so well to what I look for in adventure games. The ambience(music, artwork, flow of storytelling) is perfect imho. Story definitely appeals to me and the dialogue is in true BS-fashion and compliments earlier mentioned ambience. Normally have a short-attention span with games and just want to keep on moving unless the game really grabs me as is the case with BS5. ‘Smelling the roses’ so to speak; taking my time as much as possible within every location. Not looking forward to leaving this world when it ends.

Already have my fingers crossed for a possible BS6.

*Finished BS1, 2 and 3. Will never touch upon 4. Found 2 underwhelming and the style of 3 kind of irks me.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Tad - 17 April 2014 06:35 PM

the artwork is stunning. Surely this has to be up there for best looking game from kickstarter?

Artwork and music at last stage Thumbs Up , brings back memories.
There are plenty of things that retain themes and elements of BS1 and 2 in
different style like alternate to Train scene of BS1 was really welldone.

Stupidity mixed with comical stuff, puzzles which are mostly cracking the old
gnostic stuff all welldone. They have done great job at doing fanservice and
playing safe to make all fans happy.

I always feel that each new BS will be forced , since the Fans want old and new stuff,
so many fans with so many expectations, they did great job to retain old essence.

I personally want the series to rest for a while.

Overall 9.5/10 as BS sequel. (BS1 > BS5> BS2 > rest)

8/10 as a stand alone game.

Now they must continue making that Davegibbons or BASS2 game.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Origami, yes, you do need flowers later, don’t remember which papers etcetera. 

About the puzzles. I needed hints several times. Frown One puzzle in particular took me ages, although I liked it. Decoding the tabula symbols. A symbol for heat/fire in combination with a symbol for region/land is for me a volcano. For a desert I would expect the symbols heat, sun, land.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2004-01-28

PM

Karlok - 18 April 2014 12:14 AM

Origami, yes, you do need flowers later, don’t remember which papers etcetera. 

About the puzzles. I needed hints several times. Frown One puzzle in particular took me ages, although I liked it. Decoding the tabula symbols. A symbol for heat/fire in combination with a symbol for region/land is for me a volcano. For a desert I would expect the symbols heat, sun, land.

I gave mine to the goat….......damn.:-[

I have only played a bit but I seem to be 70% through the game. Seems short.

Bs4 was brill until the end. Bs3 well all I can say is crates!

I have enjoyed this game so far and I too had to read a walkthrough to catch up and there have been some very nice features in story and art and loved nico with the goat

Embarassed  Embarassed

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Please use spoiler tags. the goat was a nice surprise for me.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

I played episode 1 and fairly enjoyed it. Started epi. 2 yesterday but after a while at the first spanish location i suddenly felt; i don’ t care. Why play any more of this, the artwork is very good, saxon still does it good, although not quite as good as yesteryears, but it’s all so tedious. It bores me. Maybe i became too old for this.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

smulan - 18 April 2014 06:50 AM

I played episode 1 and fairly enjoyed it. Started epi. 2 yesterday but after a while at the first spanish location i suddenly felt; i don’ t care. Why play any more of this, the artwork is very good, saxon still does it good, although not quite as good as yesteryears, but it’s all so tedious. It bores me. Maybe i became too old for this.

I think that’s due to splitting the episodes. I was hooked by the end of Ep 1 but that was a month ago - now I’m faced with puzzles about figuring out stuff I’m not interested in. The momentum is gone. George’s relaxed, easy-going manner doesn’t help.

I think from now on I’m going to wait until all episodes are released before I start an episodic game.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Oscar - 18 April 2014 06:58 AM
smulan - 18 April 2014 06:50 AM

I think that’s due to splitting the episodes. I was hooked by the end of Ep 1 but that was a month ago - now I’m faced with puzzles about figuring out stuff I’m not interested in. The momentum is gone. George’s relaxed, easy-going manner doesn’t help.

I think from now on I’m going to wait until all episodes are released before I start an episodic game.

Yes, almost everybody should try to force themselves to do that. As I said before, episodic gaming is the greatest plague that struck adventure games in the last 15 years.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top