• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Aggie Awards 2013

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I don’t get why some people try to shoehorn Lilly into the traditional category, it is many ways really more of a platformer than it is an adventure game, next thing someone will claim that The Cave is also a traditional AG.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Reader’s choice has begun:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/26003

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Interesting that Device 6 isn’t in the pull-down list for Best Graphic Design, so I assume it wasn’t eligible. This isn’t a criticism, since I get that it’s text-based and maybe it makes sense not to include those in the category. But that being said, I think the graphic design of Device 6 is a huge part of what makes that game stand out, so I’ll at least give it a little shout-out here.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

What puzzles me most is that Oknytt is on the drop-down list for best non-traditional game, as the game has a very traditional gameplay despite its untraditional setting, story and narrator style.

It both has an inventory and inventory puzzle besides the rune puzzles, dialogues, a story and multi screen scenes to explore, all of which fit the traditional “mold” for AG.

I still voted for it though Smile, as I think that it is a little pearl of a game.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Sorry to mention Lilly again ,but I think it would appear to me as great concept and market for small devs with low budget . i chose it for ‘best Setting’. and just wondering why ttg doesn’t take a concept like Lilly and turn it into 5 episodes adventure .

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I don’t have a link to it, but there was a large article in today’s Chicago Tribune that discussed many of the games that are being debated.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Advie - 11 February 2014 08:08 PM

Sorry to mention Lilly again ,but I think it would appear to me as great concept and market for small devs with low budget . i chose it for ‘best Setting’. and just wondering why ttg doesn’t take a concept like Lilly and turn it into 5 episodes adventure .

I think that would be very unlikely from TTG at this point, as they seem to be aiming for the sky by only doing adaptations of widely popular franchises. The next franchise TTG will take on would probably be something of a similar stature to LOTR, not a concept from a barely known adventure game.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Yeah Telltale’s specialty is working with licensed IP. I don’t think Lilly would be a good fit for them.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2012-08-27

PM

I haven’t been able to play many new AG games, so I can’t vote in good conscience, but I am happy to see the nominations as games worth watching for, when they do show up in a bundle (or my situation improves)  Cool

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2003-11-21

PM

Iznogood - 11 February 2014 12:07 PM

I don’t get why some people try to shoehorn Lilly into the traditional category, it is many ways really more of a platformer than it is an adventure game.

Either you don’t know what a platformer is supposed to be or I don’t, as I find zero similarities between Lilly’s gameplay and that of, say, Guacamelee or Rayman: Subtitle, both of which I consider to be typical platformers. Lilly Looking Through is definitely not the most archetypical of AGs out there but it’s not as far from them as, say, Portal 2 or LIMBO. Unless you meant to say puzzle games, because that’s probably what I would call LLT, if I had to use only one word.

I agree with you on Oknytt, though, its gameplay is actually so old-school point & click that it seemed pretty contrived at times. Still, quite a nice little game.

No good deed goes unpunished

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I found “Device 6” to be an interesting game - very different from your normal adventure game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1085

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

As I expected Best Adventure of 2013: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, congrats Starbreeze.
And many thanks to all indie developers who saved the adventure scene again.
Here’s my list of Best Adventures of 2013

1.Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons ..Daring
2.Papers, Please ..Simple but effective
3.Contrast ..Dreamlike
4.Kentucky Route Zero:Acts I,II ..Most literate ag
5.Stanley Parable ..Concept of a game that you shouldnt start

R-U:Gone Home,The Cave,TWAU,

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2005-04-18

PM

I want to thank everyone that brought Cognition up to the top of the Reader’s Awards with 6 awards, including the top prize of the year! We are very humbled at Phoenix online for all of your support, and we are glad you loved our commercial debut so much. You’ve made us all very happy today!

Thank you all. You’ve inspired us to continue thriving and getting better and better at the genre!

Congrats to all the winners!

Cesar Bittar
CEO
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 121

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

I had to come in and also say thank you for that! Wow! We are just blown away and so so thankful for the support and love for Cognition. A great way to wrap up a big week for us!

Congrats to all the winners, all very well-deserved! Can’t wait to see all the great games we get for the coming year. Smile

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

I’m a bit surprised by all the complaining that Cognition didn’t win more awards.

The concept of Cognition is totally right up my alley, and I love Jane Jensen as much as anyone, but aside from that one big puzzle in the first game it just didn’t impress me much at all.  Good concept, but bad dialogue, bland one dimensional characters, and awful immersion-breaking animation and facial expressions that made their characters look ridiculous.

Maybe the last game helped correct some of its flaws, as I haven’t played that one yet.  But games 2 and 3 really disappointed me after I had high hopes for the series.

I do see Phoenix Online as having a lot of potential.  But I’m hoping Cognition is more of a beta-version of what their future projects will be like, and certainly doesn’t strike me as a game of the year type of game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top