• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

danielalbu

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Aggie Awards 2013

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

does anyone else also dislikes/notices that the least adventurous’ games with the least traditional adventuring strong elements ‘as we know’ ,are the most about winning the nominees?

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Yes

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Maybe those are best ones? They should make better traditional AG’s and then, as if by miracle, they’ll get nominated aswel.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

There are plenty of excellent traditional Adventure Games, also plenty released in 2013.

Mind you I also like untraditional AG, its just that so few of them are actually any good Wink, and the best of the lot isn’t even considered eligible for nomination.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Traditional AG’s got plenty of nominations. Two deadalic games that both got nominated for multiple awards.
There is even Fester Mudd that got a nomination….which imo is stretching the limits of what still fits in the boundaries of a professional game, giving its 2014 and not 1990.

There really isn’t anything to complain about for the traditionalists around here.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

subbi - 10 February 2014 03:21 PM

Traditional AG’s got plenty of nominations. Two deadalic games that both got nominated for multiple awards…

There really isn’t anything to complain about for the traditionalists around here.

8 nominations divided between the 3 Deadalic games, and 26 nominations divided between BEYOND: Two Souls, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons and Gone Home, not including the Best Game category that hasn’t been announced yet, and if you include the other games of both types, then the pattern is still the same.

I think it is fair to say that the balance between the traditional and untraditional games are leaning very heavily towards the untraditional games.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Iznogood - 10 February 2014 03:14 PM

and the best of the lot isn’t even considered eligible for nomination.

The Stanley Parable was robbed!!! Smile

Considering the awards I must say I didn’t play a lot of the eligible adventures, but from the nominees Brothers - A Tale of 2 sons is probably my favourite adventure from last year so I’ll probably vote for it in some categories.

Beyond Two Souls certainly deserves the graphics/voice acting awards I think.
Lilly Looking through being nominated for best non-traditional adventure is probably the thins that confuses me the most in the Aggies nominations.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

I flip-flopped back and forth on where to put Lilly. But ultimately it seemed more non-traditional. No dialogue, no inventory, no real exploration (just moving screen to screen until the end). Doesn’t really fit the classic mold.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

wilco - 10 February 2014 04:30 PM

Lilly Looking through being nominated for best non-traditional adventure is probably the thins that confuses me the most in the Aggies nominations.

That can actually be understood in two ways, either as Jackal apparently did, that it should be considered a traditional AG, or that it not nearly good enough to be considered among the best games of 2013.

Personally I think it is pretty obvious that it should be considered non-traditional AG ....... Wink

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Jackal - 10 February 2014 05:33 PM

I flip-flopped back and forth on where to put Lilly. But ultimately it seemed more non-traditional. No dialogue, no inventory, no real exploration (just moving screen to screen until the end). Doesn’t really fit the classic mold.

LILLY is a great game ‘and don’t get me wrong’ but its feels no more than like a little nice present on a Christmas Eve , about the gameplaying there is nothing untraditional at LLT, its rather a mix of many known AGs with no dialogues,inventory like Neverhood ,Myst Machinarium played in very cute Disney friendly atmosphere like ,in a sliding Presentation. I think Papers, Please would had been a better choice to fill in with it.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Iznogood - 10 February 2014 06:28 PM
wilco - 10 February 2014 04:30 PM

That can actually be understood in two ways, either as Jackal apparently did, that it should be considered a traditional AG, or that it not nearly good enough to be considered among the best games of 2013.

Personally I think it is pretty obvious that it should be considered non-traditional AG ....... Wink

I was actually kind of refering to both: because I thought it was more of a traditional point-and-click adventure (although I can see why it isn’t considered one, like Amanita adventures), but I also found strange the fact that it’s nominated for best overall with so many non-traditional adventures being left out (adventures that had actually had an ending) ,but that’s just my opinion Smile

Total Posts: 1902

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Advie - 10 February 2014 06:50 PM

LILLY is a great game ‘and don’t get me wrong’ but its feels no more than like a little nice present on a Christmas Eve , about the gameplaying there is nothing untraditional at LLT, its rather a mix of many known AGs with no dialogues,inventory like Neverhood ,Myst Machinarium played in very cute Disney friendly atmosphere like ,in a sliding Presentation. I think Papers, Please would had been a better choice to fill in with it.

hm yeah actually now that you mention it that drives me a little crazy. Papers please is a really great game and about as non-traditional as it gets. LLT is quite traditional, the only non-traditional thing about it is the glasses mechanic.. and in my book having an unusual mechanic doesnt automatically make a game non-traditional. Is resonance non-traditional because of its different takes on mechanics?

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

It’s silly to compare a completely traditional adventure with one unique mechanic to a game that lacks most of those traditional elements to begin with. The only traditional thing about Lilly is that it’s point-and-click.

As far as Papers, Please being “as non-traditional as it gets”, what’s that got to do with anything? No one’s disputing it’s non-traditional. It just didn’t make the top five.

But not to worry, you’ll get your chance to vote for it shortly.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

yea I think Its silly to say something that you know already it would not change someone mind’ , but in the end that’s your (adventuregamers) {imo} ,and that is mine which I know about it ,well. 

LLT is great many for many things all together ,but not for being untraditional adventure or for having best music.

Total Posts: 1902

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Jackal - 10 February 2014 08:13 PM

The only traditional thing about Lilly is that it’s point-and-click.

and that it has a 2d traditional background art direction.
and has myst-like atmosphere and puzzles. To me, if youre going to have a non-traditional category it should be between the particularly outside-the-box weird games.
I do think the other titles in this category belong.. (i havnt played kentucky route but im willing to assume its very different).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top