• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Florus

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Danganronpa

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Alright, I’m done. (Well, I still have to go through the relationship stuff, but I’m done with the story.)

I want to remember how much I loved the game for most of its duration, even if I’m currently not quite able to get over how badly the game failed to stick the landing.

I mean, that last trial was so awful… Everything was painfully obvious, but it just went on and on for fucking ever because everyone kept insisting on being so dumb. (Except Kyoko, obviously. She’s awesome.)

I mean, that happened:

Makoto: So, it was Mukuro, not Junko, that died impaled on the spikes.
Hiro: I see… If you explain this another dozen times, I think I might be convinced.
Makoto: And therefore Junko is the mastermind!
Hina: But, didn’t Junko die impaled on the spikes?
Makoto: You’re right… I’m so confused right now.

Aaaaaaaaargh!

Also, did the game really need [spoiler]TWO psychobitches with multiple personalities?? Toko was awful enough, but throwing Junko into the mix was close to making me experience ultimate despair.[/spoiler]

But the worst was how the game’s themes failed to go anywhere meaningful. The words hope and despair must appear literally hundreds of times in the script, but that’s all they are: words, vague and without any real incarnation in the story—the worst offender being that big apocalypse that we’re not going to tell you anything about because we can’t be arsed to. (The amount of stuff the game just handwaved away in the last chapter got pretty scary.)

Still, apart from that disaster of a conclusion, I really enjoyed the game. The mysteries were interesting (though often obvious), I ended up caring about many of the characters, the trial mechanics were exciting, although at times a bit illogical/unfair (and don’t get me started on that obnoxious rhythm minigame!), and the atmosphere was very strong and made it hard to put down the game—which I guess is why the botched ending stings so much. (Of all the stuff they copied from the Ace Attorney and Zero Escape games, I wished they’d included “how to make a memorable ending”.)

Oh well. Now, the long wait for the PC version of the sequel begins…

EDIT: Also, huge props to the people in charge of the English version for (1) leaving the original voices in and (2) acknowledging that the story takes place in Japan, with Japanese characters who have Japanese names, instead of trying to pretend that everyone is American, despite dozens of cultural details saying otherwise (looking at you, Ace Attorney series…).

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Kurufinwe - 23 February 2016 01:32 PM

Alright, I’m done. (Well, I still have to go through the relationship stuff, but I’m done with the story.)

I want to remember how much I loved the game for most of its duration, even if I’m currently not quite able to get over how badly the game failed to stick the landing.

I mean, that last trial was so awful… Everything was painfully obvious, but it just went on and on for fucking ever because everyone kept insisting on being so dumb. (Except Kyoko, obviously. She’s awesome.)

I mean, that happened:

Makoto: So, it was Mukuro, not Junko, that died impaled on the spikes.
Hiro: I see… If you explain this another dozen times, I think I might be convinced.
Makoto: And therefore Junko is the mastermind!
Hina: But, didn’t Junko die impaled on the spikes?
Makoto: You’re right… I’m so confused right now.

Aaaaaaaaargh!

Also, did the game really need [spoiler]TWO psychobitches with multiple personalities?? Toko was awful enough, but throwing Junko into the mix was close to making me experience ultimate despair.[/spoiler]

But the worst was how the game’s themes failed to go anywhere meaningful. The words hope and despair must appear literally hundreds of times in the script, but that’s all they are: words, vague and without any real incarnation in the story—the worst offender being that big apocalypse that we’re not going to tell you anything about because we can’t be arsed to. (The amount of stuff the game just handwaved away in the last chapter got pretty scary.)

Still, apart from that disaster of a conclusion, I really enjoyed the game. The mysteries were interesting (though often obvious), I ended up caring about many of the characters, the trial mechanics were exciting, although at times a bit illogical/unfair (and don’t get me started on that obnoxious rhythm minigame!), and the atmosphere was very strong and made it hard to put down the game—which I guess is why the botched ending stings so much. (Of all the stuff they copied from the Ace Attorney and Zero Escape games, I wished they’d included “how to make a memorable ending”.)

Oh well. Now, the long wait for the PC version of the sequel begins…

Yeah I agree, the ending left a lot to be answered. Maybe this will be revealed in the sequels?(Note: I haven’t finished the second one yet so I don’t know). I found both Suicide Jill and Junko very irritating with their multiple personalities. But like you said, the ride was awesome, and it is one of those games you find it very difficult to put down.

My personal favorite student was definitely Kyoko the ultimate detective.She is so cool and balanced and super logical throughout. I also loved to hate Byakuya. He was obviously being thrown around as the villain throughout the game, but it was all to throw you off.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I actually liked the ending of the first game just fine. It asks you to fill in some blanks for yourself but things like the specific details of the apocalypse just arent needed for the story this game tells.
The series also asks you to accept that the world has been simplified into a war between hope and despair, which are somehow tangible elemental forces. And its quite absurd. But more fun if you suspend belief for it.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Good to see more fans rolling in.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I didn’t have musch of a problem with ending I like where it went and it did set up another the sequel possibilities.
Danganronpa Another Episode goes much deeper about the reasons and how the Apocalypse happened and it actually manages to make Toko Fukawa a good character.
This one does have a lot of inspiration from stuff that happens in PW and Zero Escape.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

wilco - 23 February 2016 07:19 PM

I didn’t have musch of a problem with ending I like where it went and it did set up another the sequel possibilities.
Danganronpa Another Episode goes much deeper about the reasons and how the Apocalypse happened and it actually manages to make Toko Fukawa a good character.
This one does have a lot of inspiration from stuff that happens in PW and Zero Escape.

So another episode is the actiony one right? How is the gameplay compared to the first two? Is it also heavy on story?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

SoccerDude28 - 24 February 2016 01:33 AM

So another episode is the actiony one right? How is the gameplay compared to the first two? Is it also heavy on story?

It’s also heavy on story but the gameplay in nothing compared to the other games. It’s a third person action game with puzzle elements. It’s pretty average and repetitive in the gameplay but the story is good, although it does have some darker elements. It’s set between DR1 and DR2.

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

I usually wait for sales to buy games, but this one I couldn’t resist buying as soon as it came to Steam. Never played a courtroom-type game like Ace Attorney and heard so many good things about this, so I’m really excited!

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I hope the PC version is good, the game should play quite well on a PC and have many of the same qualities the VITA version did.

And yes, Dangaronpa: Ultra Despair Girls is a survival horror game - but a fun one with a great story that made it well worth playing for me. A combination third person shooter/puzzle game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Mikekelly - 25 February 2016 08:41 PM

And yes, Dangaronpa: Ultra Despair Girls is a survival horror game - but a fun one with a great story that made it well worth playing for me. A combination third person shooter/puzzle game.

Is it difficult? And by that I mean the actiony bits?

Wait, this isn’t available for PC, right? Never mind. Shifty Eyed

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Is it difficult? And by that I mean the actiony bits?

Wait, this isn’t available for PC, right? Never mind.

You can set the difficulty level, I found the action bits easy at first, but much more difficult as the game progressed.

It is a VITA exclusive however and not available on the PC.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Started yesterday with Ultra Despair Girls on the normal difficulty. Am in the second chapter now, and the action parts are not difficult at all. Enemies appear sparingly, and you usually only have to deal with one or two at the same time. The times you do need to fight multiple enemies, there’s usually a puzzle element involved, where the solution allows you to take out every enemy in one go.

The pacing of the story/action parts is quite horrible up to this point though. You get to shoot two enemies, followed by a lot of dialogue, take two steps, more dialogue, get to shoot four enemies, more dialogue etc.

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I enjoyed the game a lot. The dilemma of being seperated from the outside world together with people whom you don’t know whether they’re friends or foes was well portrayed.

The murder mysteries were occasionally a bit to obvious. You had often figured out most of it before the trials even began. Although the “action-sequences” made that an understandable move design-wise. They were partly a fun twist but since figuring out whodunnit was still such a big part of the games appeal it was also a missed opportunity to some extent. You spent to much time convincing everybody else what had happened instead of figuring it out. 

I rank the game higher than the Zero Escape games but below the Ace Attorney games. I really hope that the sequels will be ported as well.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

The first game definitely had a problem of being way too obvious. With the evidence collected in the investigation phases, it was always possible to make an educated guess to not only the truth, but also the complete route to the truth (including red herrings/fake solutions/twists). The sequel is better in that respect, as it will introduce new evidence during a trial, so it’s impossible to predict the complete flow of the trial before the trial has even started (similar to how the trials in Ace Attorney are structured, with the prosecutor coming up with new evidence every other turn).

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I like the fact that Dangaronpa V3 got an Aggie award (silver) for best Japanese adventure game. Honestly, I just love Japanese adventure games and play them all the time.

Hope we see this again in future Aggie awards!

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top