• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Hero-U Demo

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

well i think a distinction should be made between missing features and major functions. Mechanics are certain to change from how they were pitched and thats ok, but if it was pitched as a multiplayer rpg, and it turns out a single player shooter, thats not ok Wink

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

zane - 24 February 2015 03:18 PM

well i think a distinction should be made between missing features and major functions. Mechanics are certain to change from how they were pitched and thats ok, but if it was pitched as a multiplayer rpg, and it turns out a single player shooter, thats not ok Wink

Has that ever happened?  Have any successful Kickstarter games been pitched as a completely different type of game from what they ended up being?  Of course that would be ridiculous, in the same way it would be ridiculous if I went to a restaurant and ordered a cheeseburger but got served a dead cat on a platter.  But that’s EXTREMELY UNLIKELY TO OCCUR.  Smile

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

not exactly to my knowledge, but there have been some instances of games being pitched as multiplayer experiences and then multiplayer drops out of the equation. And something like that to me isnt just a missing a feature, but an important function that was promised.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Broken Age came extremely close to that, but let’s wait for the second part and see.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

How so? You might not have liked Broken Age, but it is an adventure game no matter what you think of its difficulty, lenght or quality. Just the same way Moebius was an adventure game despite I didn’t personally like it.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Well, for one thing they promised Ron Gilbert - and there was none…

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

They did? I don’t think they ever promised Ron Gilbert would work on it. That would also not be complete change in the game direction

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Doom - 24 February 2015 04:06 PM

Well, for one thing they promised Ron Gilbert - and there was none…

nooo, they said something to the effect he might have a sort of consulting role nothing more.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Ron Gilbert was never meant to be a part of the actual development of Broken Age. As he happened to be in house making The Cave he promised, and delivered on it, to let Tim pick his brains a bit about adventure game design. There’s even a video about that. But other than that he wasn’t promised to actually do any development, writing or design for the game.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Well, he was mentioned in the original video (I just checked), and I remember how many were disappointed when Ron left Double Fine out of sudden, so at least it was expected. Also “an old-school adventure” from the same video is not exactly what they delivered.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Doom - 24 February 2015 04:43 PM

Well, he was mentioned in the original video (I just checked), and I remember how many were disappointed when Ron left Double Fine out of sudden, so at least it was expected. Also “an old-school adventure” from the same video is not exactly what they delivered.

Exactly, not even close.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

People like to cling on that “old school” line, but that deleopment path was closed pretty quickly after the funding ran into high gear. It’s important to remember, that there was no plan at all for any kind of game during the KS drive. Tim has underlined that multiple times. He promised to give people a “full development process” and that is pretty much what the project has delivered, as it was as much, or even more, about documenting the process as well as making the game.

As for Ron’s appearance on the video, as you notice, when Tim asks him to help Ron actually shuts a door to his face. It was also pretty commonly known that Ron would be leaving DF as soon as the Cave would wrap up. That was discussed a lot during the KS drive, at least I have that kind of recollection, and anyone who was disappointed at that was free to leave during that time.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

zane - 24 February 2015 03:24 PM

not exactly to my knowledge, but there have been some instances of games being pitched as multiplayer experiences and then multiplayer drops out of the equation. And something like that to me isnt just a missing a feature, but an important function that was promised.

I’ve seen the opposite, where single player was promised, but not delivered, or delivered in an extremely poor way. Elite, Takedown, maybe Planetary Annihilation.

Broken Age has the unique distinction of being the vaguest pitch of all time, thus putting it in a position to disappoint almost anyone that had concrete expectations. I still think what they made was excellent, or at least an excellent start, but it’s easy to see why people might want to fill that blank canvas in their mind with images other than what materialized.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

tomimt - 24 February 2015 05:53 PM

He promised to give people a “full development process” and that is pretty much what the project has delivered, as it was as much, or even more, about documenting the process as well as making the game.

Maybe you are right, but it wasn’t made clear, and a lot of people (me included) were more excited about a new adventure from Tim Schafer and his team rather than a simple doc about development process.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Another thing people forget about the DF project is, that even a total failure to produce a game would have been a viable option to the project as long as it all would have been documented.

Tim says so in the video: he doesn’t knwo what will happen. They might evn fail, but that all would be documented. Hell, they could have even opted to not to do the second part at all and make a final document episode all about how they miscalculated their finances etc. and give a full disclosure about it.

In all DF project was, and is, an unspecified ride Double Fine took the backers on.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top