• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Hero-U Demo

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

Doom - 24 February 2015 04:43 PM

Also “an old-school adventure” from the same video is not exactly what they delivered.

That totally depends on what meaning you put in the term. It’s an epic quest with multiple playable characters, set in a quirky, humorous world, and it’s a 2D point-and-clicker. It’s clearly more old-school than something like Brothers or Heavy Rain, or The Cave. It seems to be exactly the kind of game Schafer meant when he promised an “old-school adventure.”

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Epic is not quite the word I would use to describe game, which half (or even a third) can be breezed through in a few hours, without even a remote chance for some brain training.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

after a brisk nap - 25 February 2015 06:24 AM

It’s an epic quest with multiple playable characters, set in a quirky, humorous world, and it’s a 2D point-and-clicker. It’s clearly more old-school than something like Brothers or Heavy Rain, or The Cave. It seems to be exactly the kind of game Schafer meant when he promised an “old-school adventure.”

It is still very casual, both in look and feel. And being quirky is something from a new school of design - back in the day games used to be weird, but not random Smile

Anyways, Hero-U…

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Doom - 25 February 2015 11:03 AM

[ quirky is something from a new school of design - back in the day games used to be weird, but not random Smile

Anyways, Hero-U…

At the risk of keeping this detrailed, how are the characters in BA “random”? I found the character traits to be very similar to MI, DOTT etc. style.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

tomimt - 25 February 2015 12:01 PM

At the risk of keeping this detrailed, how are the characters in BA “random”? I found the character traits to be very similar to MI, DOTT etc. style.

Not the characters - the so-called world which consists of random locations without any links whatsoever. Very postmodern way of telling a story.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Doom - 25 February 2015 12:58 PM
tomimt - 25 February 2015 12:01 PM

Not the characters - the so-called world which consists of random locations without any links whatsoever. Very postmodern way of telling a story.

if youve finished act 1, its clear that they are about to explain the link between the two settings. Theres nothing random about it….

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

zane, I didn’t mean Vella’s and Shay’s settings. I mean locations those settings consist of. Just look at how the cloudy world randomly leads to a dark forest, which leads to a sunny beach, etc.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Well variations in tone does not equal “random”. What’s hard to believe about a dark forest and a sunny beach existing in the same world????

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Cause it doesn’t feel like one! To me at least, fan of other Schafer’s WORLDS. It’s like a movie director used sets from a Western, a horror and some sci-fi movie to make a romcom. I’m sure Tim has some explanation (especially after he spent a year finishing the script), but that’s what I call postmodern storytelling.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It’s not any more random than green, lush forest area right in the next of a desert. If you really take a look on old adventures, you’ll find a load of games with very random areas right next of each other.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Yeah, but the forest/desert/swamp maps in King’s Quest or Quest for Glory are huge, they do feel like varied worlds. BA wastes 2-3 screens per area, thus the switch feels very artificial. The spaceship is ok though.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Doom - 25 February 2015 05:43 PM

BA wastes 2-3 screens per area, thus the switch feels very artificial. The spaceship is ok though.

And what if that’s the whole point? That the world they live in is actually fully artificial. That’s one scenario I’ve been thinking Tim could take it.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

It’s funny how Broken Age has a sort of Godwin’s Law around it where an extended discussion of any other Kickstarter adventure game eventually leads to it. Laughing  I guess that’s the price of starting the Kickstarter adventure game trend.

As for Hero-U, I have lots of thoughts about this project, but they’re a bit complex for a forum post. So I guess I’ll just say that I think the Coles are deeply good people trying, even at personal sacrifice, to make a great game for their supporters. Though the road to a shipped game has been and may continue to be bumpy, I wish them and their team the best. A second fundraising campaign is possible (and not without precedent), but obviously would need to be presented with care. I’m also skeptical if Hero-U will be financially successful—indeed, a lot of games are not financially successful, so that’s not a criticism of the game’s quality, it’s just a reality of how easy it is to not make back your development costs on a creative project. Hopefully, the team is planning for this contingency. Purely in terms of design and fun factor, I still believe Hero-U has the potential to be a pretty cool little game for a niche audience since it’s exploring territory that isn’t often seen outside of Quest for Glory (of course), Persona 3 and 4 (the school setting, the social mechanics), and pen-and-paper RPGs.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

I wonder if they haven’t considered the possibility of creating a Patreon. I mean, they sure have the following, it would smack of better credibility than another kickstarter, in my opinion (though on KS they are banking on the people they’ve already hooked via the 1st campaign). Either way, Patreon’s really happening now, so I hope they consider it! (Broke as I am now, I sure am Smile )

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

tomimt - 25 February 2015 06:25 PM

And what if that’s the whole point? That the world they live in is actually fully artificial. That’s one scenario I’ve been thinking Tim could take it.

As I said: postmodernism Smile Although that kind of approach - artificial worlds made of dreams, desires and fears - was already used in Psychonauts.

Caliburn - 25 February 2015 08:22 PM

I guess that’s the price of starting the Kickstarter adventure game trend.

It is also the price for being Tim Schafer Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top