• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The football (soccer) thread

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

It’s sad how football has stayed so static in that regard. Rugby, Ice hockey, tennis etc all use it perfectly well and there’s no delay to the game really - especially if you think about all the childish moaning the players do. Video refs alone would stop fake diving from players too and that, im my opinion, is what needs addressing the most in the football.

Out of interest, how are/were people taking the news where you are? In the UK, there’s always been a feeling of knowing they were crooks, but lacking proof (or a pair) to go after them. Think a lot of people here seem to think the rest of the world knew, but didn’t care.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Tad - 26 September 2015 12:58 AM

Out of interest, how are/where people taking the news where you are? In the UK, there’s always been a feeling of knowing they were crooks, but lacking proof (or a pair) to go after them. Think a lot of people here seem to think the rest of the world knew, but didn’t care.

I think everybody here (well, in Belgium at least) also knew they were crooks, but lacking the concrete evidence to actually get them out.
I’ve definitely wanted Blatter gone for over a decade. And I was already calling the FIFA and UEFA top a bunch of fossils long before that.

Where the football fans always knew they were crooks, I think everybody else really only knew for sure when Russia and Qatar won their World Cup bids.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

That FIFA is almost as crocked as IOC, has been common knowledge for years!
But with a lot of countries in especially Africa (being paid to) supporting him, it has just been impossible to get rid of Blatter.

However that Platini is also deeply involved, has come as a big surprise to many.

And now of course, they have decided that the World Cup in Qatar should be played in the winter, instead at summer as usual - Well that won’t go down easily with the big clubs or the national leagues!
(And only emphasizes how stupid it was to place it in Qatar in the first place)

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’m a bit divided about this, on one hand World Cup shouldn’t be in Qatar because of the work conditions/slavery that is going on around there. On the other hand I think every country/continent in the world should have a shot at hosting the World Cup. Don’t always have to be in Europe/America. Of course Qatar shouldn’t have been chosen in the first place if they don’t have the conditions/capacity to have the infrastructures. Anyway, the winter World Cup is a good decision if it has to be there.

And Fifa is absolutely crooked and Blatter should be out no doubt.

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

Tad - 26 September 2015 12:58 AM

Out of interest, how are/were people taking the news where you are? In the UK, there’s always been a feeling of knowing they were crooks, but lacking proof (or a pair) to go after them.

I would say it is exactly the same situation in Germany.  I’m really interested in seeing how this whole story develops, but remain doubtful that this whole system will change entirely. Frown

Getting back to Lewandowski… 10 goals in the last three matches. Not too bad. Smile
Has anyone seen the last goal vs Zagreb?  I’m tempted to say the creation of this goal (involving Costa, Thiago and Lewandowski) was close to perfection. Surely, Zagreb was not the best opponent, and yet this whole scene was mindblowing - showing some of the amazing skills of Costa, Thiago and Lewandowski. 

Now playing: GreedFall, Control
Recently finished: Telling Lies, The Sinking City

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Lewandowski is going Super Sayan mode! Arsenal probably the next victim.

Speaking of records, Ronaldo became the all time top Real Madrid scorer beating the Raul number (in half the games…).

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Ingmar - 02 October 2015 05:10 AM

Getting back to Lewandowski… 10 goals in the last three matches. Not too bad. Smile

And six goals in his last three matches for Poland as well. Awesome striker. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Coca-cola, McDonald’s, Visa and Budweiser have all told Blatter to go immediately.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

TimovieMan - 02 October 2015 06:37 AM
Ingmar - 02 October 2015 05:10 AM

And six goals in his last three matches for Poland as well. Awesome striker. Cool

And Scotland play POland next Confused

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

Status-update:

2 more Lewandowski goals against Dortmund.  Final result: 5:1 for Bayern Munich. Smile

Despite of that: Any thoughts on Liverpool and Klopp?  No idea how realistic the whole thing is. Quite some people in Germany (including myself) believe that Klopp will be the successor of Guardiola if Pep doesen’t extend his contract, which ends in 2016.

On the other hand, Liverpool and Klopp seem like a perfect match to me. If there is one club in Germany that seems close to the “Liverpool mentality”, it is Dortmund.

Obviously, Klopp left quite an impression in Dortmund.  When he took over, the situation of the club was disastrous. They were close to bankrupcy and nearly descended from the Bundesliga.  Klopp and the new club management completely re-vamped the club and took it to new heights.  I have no idea if Liverpool is interested in giving Klopp time to re-build certain structures, and if their ideas for the future of Liverpool match. If they do, however, I believe that this combination could be a long-lasting one.

Klopp’s identification with his two previous clubs (Mainz and Dortmund) has been a very important aspect of his work so far. Another reason why Liverpool/Klopp seems like a perfect match to me.

IF Liverpool offers him a job, and Klopp turns it down, I feel like there might a strong indicator for the reaon: He already knows he’s taking over Bayern Munich next year or he knows at least that it is likely.

Klopp would never find another club that seems to fit so well and his appreciation for the premier league is no secret. But, of course, if you have a chance of being the manager of Bayern Munich, you’ve got to think twice.

Just my 2 cents. Really looking forward to see what happens.  Smile

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Personally I think the Premier League NEEDS more trainers like Klopp (and less idiots like Van Gaal and Mourinho), but on the other hand, coming from Dortmund, Liverpool is a step down.
Bundesliga >>>>>> Premier League, been like this for a few years now.

Imo, Klopp will take the Munchen job next year, the Liverpool thing is just a one-season thing. But that means he won’t be able to drastically change things, so it could be an exercise in futility… Frown
On the other hand, wages in the Premier League are probably more than triple those of the Bundesliga, so maybe he just wants to cash in? Tongue

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 05 October 2015 06:12 AM

Bayern Munich >>>>>> Premier League, been like this for a few years now.

Fixed Tongue

Bundesliga is the most boring of the major european championships in the last years. It’s the only one where there is only one powerful team that just picks ups the major players from the rivals. 
I hope Klopp doesn’t go to Bayern, will just make it even worse.
Premier League is not doing very well but at least it’s very entertaining. A charismatic coach like Klopp in there will make it even more.

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

Wilco, actually, I think this is even a problem for Bayern Munich.

They only got as extremely good as they are because of Dortmund. Klopp and Dortmund won the championship twice in a row (2011, 2012), humiliated Bayern with 5:2 in the 2012 cup final and defeated them on several other occasions. 

A year without championships for a club with the self-conception of Bayern is way more than they are willing to take (even if they had a LOT of bad luck in the lost Champions League final of 2012). So Bayern realised they had to up the ante and change some things.

Bayern had an enormous benefit from the years of competion with Dortmund in the long run. However, there hasn’t been any real competition in the Bundesliga in the last years, and I think that’s not good for Bayern.

In 2014 and 2015, Bayern won the Bundesliga championship at a very early point of time - with similar results.  After winning the championship in 2014, Pep said “The Bundesliga is over”. They were still undefeated in the Bundesliga at that point of time.  However, all of a sudden they started losing matches in the Bundesliga, and played worse and worse. They totally lost their rhythm, and were not able to pull the switch when they needed to in the Champions League.

Something similiar happened last year. It may have been a different situation, because the amount of injured players was insane, but still… after winning the championship so early once more, they were not able to keep up the extremely high level they had before.

In the long run, I really think Bayern needs stronger competition, because the last two years show a pattern.  3/4 of each season was mostly extraordinary, but after winning the Bundesliga in March or April, they dropped the ball. 

Therefore I really hope that Dortmund (and/or other clubs) will somehow be able to be more serious competitors again. In the end, Bayern will probably benefit most from that.

Even during the current situation I have no doubt that Bayern is strong enough to win the Champions League (among with very few other teams).  But Pep needs to find a way to keep his players focussed after they become an early Bundesliga champion once more. 
The last 2 years seem like a good proof that even Bayern - no matter how good they are - can not allow themselves to say: “We don’t care about the next Bundesliga matches anymore, so we’ll just shift down a gear, and once things really matter in the Champions League, we’ll just shift up again.”

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I agree, it’s bad for Bayern and bad for Bundesliga, but it’s impossible for Borussia (or any german team) to keep competing if Bayern just goes there and buys their best players but that is just how the markey works.

Still, in the Jupp Heynckes perfect season they were champions very early and were still able to win the Champions League destroying Barcelona. I think Pep has a problem adjusting his team in big matches, his teams usually only have one game plan.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

It makes me laugh how people here in the UK go about proudly over the Premier league, yet want our international team do better. They can’t seem to connect the dots. Or perhaps they just don’t want to.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top