• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dalewalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

R.I.P. LucasArts

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

What was so kiddy about John Carter, Pirates of the Carribbean, the Muppets, Tron Legacy, Alice in Wonderland, Brave, Lone Ranger, on top of the stated Marvel films? Disney has a long history of kids films, but also a long history of films young adult/adult films and films in between that are very enjoyable….

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Anyone used to play Disney’s Duck Tales game? I loved that game.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Yeah, my friends worked on Wayforward’s remake. Grin There’s an awesome addition to the game which I can’t mention, but def check it out when its released. ^_^

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Monolith - 06 April 2013 11:01 PM

What was so kiddy about John Carter, Pirates of the Carribbean, the Muppets, Tron Legacy, Alice in Wonderland, Brave, Lone Ranger, on top of the stated Marvel films? Disney has a long history of kids films, but also a long history of films young adult/adult films and films in between that are very enjoyable….

I agree with your sentiment in general, but most of those are terrible examples of good “adult” Disney movies.  The Marvel movies are about the only ones that really hold up against other movies meant for an older audience.

Total Posts: 100

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

Pixar? That’s the actual counter-argument. Pixar who was almost ‘last week’s’ purchase. Pixar wasn’t made by Disney, it was made on their own and then sold off. If anything, I would bet their popularity has fallen since then, at least outside ages below 18.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Actually Pixar was bought by Disney in 2006, almost 7 years ago, hardly what you can call ‘last week’s’ purchase, but it is true that Pixar wasn’t made by Disney.

Overall i agree with TimovieMan, Disney has improved a lot since they got rid of Eisner. The simple truth is that for better or worse Disney has turned into a entertainment conglomerate, but at least they seem to know what they are doing, which is more than you can say about LucasArt in the recent years.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Yeah, at this point - anything we say about Disney with regards to LucasArts properties is pure speculation.  Let’s hope they have the good sense to do something decent with the properties.

Bt

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 07 April 2013 08:16 AM

The simple truth is that for better or worse Disney has turned into a entertainment conglomerate, but at least they seem to know what they are doing, which is more than you can say about LucasArt in the recent years.

^ If there was a point to all my Disney ramblings here, this was it! Tongue

Thanks, Iznogood.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Zifnab - 06 April 2013 11:39 PM

Designed and produced by Sierra if I’m not mistaken.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Ooooh you guys were talking about that less than okay game and not the overly popular game everyone played?

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Monolith - 06 April 2013 11:01 PM

I didn’t say any of those were kid movies? I mentioned that they made other things than blockbusters and kid oriented films, which no one else seemed to recognize.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

Iznogood - 06 April 2013 05:54 PM

Really?!
Silly me, I thought it was Miramax Films that produced Pulp Fiction!
It is true that Miramax was owned by Disney at the time, but they still operated more or less independently from Disney. That is not the case with LucasArts, hence the title of this thread!

At least the early word on the Lucasfilm (etc.) acquisition was that they’d keep running the business fairly independently from “Disney central command,” just as with ESPN, Marvel, Pixar, etc., and as with Miramax back in the day. I don’t think the situations are fundamentally different.

By the way, in a 20th anniversary retrospective on Pulp Fiction, Harvey Weinstein talks about how he ran the script by Jeffrey Katzenberg:

When I read the Pulp Fiction script, I went to him and said, ‘Even though I have the right to make this, I want to clear it with you.’ He read it and said, ‘Easy on the heroin scene, if you can, but that is one of the best scripts I have ever read. Even though you don’t need it, I am giving you my blessing.’ ”

But even if you leave Miramax out of it, you still have e.g. Touchstone, which is just a brand Disney puts on its more adult-oriented movies, such as Lincoln or The Prestige.

The point is that, going back to the 1980s, Disney has branched out from its kids-and-family focus, although it rarely sticks the Disney brand on the edgier fare. It often diversifies by acquisitions, and it usually allows the new divisions a pretty large amount of autonomy. Expecting Disney to kiddify the Lucas properties just because they’re Disney is based on a poor understanding of what the company is.

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

thinker - 07 April 2013 05:17 AM

Pixar? That’s the actual counter-argument. Pixar who was almost ‘last week’s’ purchase. Pixar wasn’t made by Disney, it was made on their own and then sold off. If anything, I would bet their popularity has fallen since then, at least outside ages below 18.

I can’t stand this argument, I feel a strong need to stand on a soap box and scream: “Disney wrote all of Pixar’s plots! From the beginning! Even Toy Story!!”

I play story-heavy games, watch animation, anime, B-movies, disaster movies, sci-fi movies and crime shows and try to write about it all on my blog: Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

rtrooney - 07 April 2013 12:46 PM

The same Sierra that made Mega Man and Street Fighter?

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Frogacuda - 07 April 2013 09:39 PM
rtrooney - 07 April 2013 12:46 PM

The same Sierra that made Mega Man and Street Fighter?

That Sierra.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top