• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

R.I.P. LucasArts

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2011-12-15

PM

Maybe it was better this way, LucasArts wasn’t going to release any adventure anyway. Now there is the real possibility that some good fella might license some old LucasArts’ IP (like Double-Fine) if the price is good.

Total Posts: 100

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

Wow, I find the optimism here extremely misplaced.

Reality: Indiana Jones movies with the similar mediocrity of the past few years.

Game: Action “Adventure” based on that mediocre story.

PS. “Action-Adventure” started well with Deus-Ex and a couple of other monuments (The first Mass Effect, the first Hitman etc.) but nowadays it’s just so repetitive, it’s basically an FPS that makes think “go to the story already”. If at least they realized only sniping is fun.. (when story is concerned).

Pan

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

thinker - 06 April 2013 05:12 AM

Reality: Indiana Jones movies with the similar mediocrity of the past few years.

You underestimate Disney, imo. I really believe they’ll treat the Star Wars and Indy IPs with the respect they deserve.
Remember: George Lucas won’t be writing anymore, so no more Crystal Skull. Wink

I just hope Disney knocks on Frank Darabont’s door for HIS Indiana Jones 4 script… (and then we can all pretend that Crystal Skull never happened). Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 06 April 2013 06:02 AM

I just hope Disney knocks on Frank Darabont’s door for HIS Indiana Jones 4 script… (and then we can all pretend that Crystal Skull never happened). Grin

I’m not sure Harrison Ford is up for another Indy movie, and i can’t really imagine anyone else in the role.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

But…but I want an Infernal Machine or Fate of Atlantis movie. Frown

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Don’t worry, within the next 10 years or so we’ll probably see a reboot of the Indy franchise if the new Mad Max reboot is a success, proving that people have an interest in old 80’s action-adventure franchises. If that happens we can always hope that a movie would be based on say Fate of Atlantis, however unlikely it may be.

Total Posts: 100

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

You underestimate Disney

I’ve never seen anything good coming out of them lately.

They seem to be almost always successful with strictly children entertainment but they appear to be the Kiss of Death for anything adult entertainment. They “kiddify” everything to the point of making it dull if you’re not 12 or younger. Everyone that sees Disney touching a franchise that is not strictly for little kids should be afraid of them.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

‘Cause no one over twelve likes Pixar, or Marvel? (Oh, and Pulp Fiction was a Disney movie, just for example.)

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

After a brisk nap - 06 April 2013 03:52 PM

‘Cause no one over twelve likes Pixar, or Marvel?

Exactly! Wink

After a brisk nap - 06 April 2013 03:52 PM

(Oh, and Pulp Fiction was a Disney movie, just for example.)

Really?!
Silly me, I thought it was Miramax Films that produced Pulp Fiction!
It is true that Miramax was owned by Disney at the time, but they still operated more or less independently from Disney. That is not the case with LucasArts, hence the title of this thread!

Come to think of it, both Pixar and Marvel are also still separate entities from Disney, though i don’t think they are as independent from Disney as Mirimax was.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Iznogood - 06 April 2013 06:54 AM

I’m not sure Harrison Ford is up for another Indy movie, and i can’t really imagine anyone else in the role.

Monolith - 06 April 2013 02:27 PM

But…but I want an Infernal Machine or Fate of Atlantis movie. Frown

Come to think of it, they did set that young *beep* up as Harrison Ford’s successor in ‘that skull thing’, so we might still see some new Indy movies.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

thinker - 06 April 2013 03:30 PM

I disagree. It may have taken them a few years to undo all the Eisner F-ups, but at least they reforged their bond with Pixar, re-opened their hand-drawn animation studio, and started their own 3D animation studio (seperate from Pixar and a great improvement over that mess of a studio that produced ‘The Wild’) that is up there with the best in quality. ‘Wreck-It-Ralph’ was imo last year’s best animated film (well, after the Danish film ‘Ronal Barbaren’, but that may be just me Tongue).
They haven’t hurt the Marvel IPs whatsoever (in fact, with their know-how and marketability of all sorts of merchandising they actually gave it a boost), and they haven’t hurt any of the other IPs they’ve acquired over the years.

Ten years ago, I thought Disney was running itself into the ground (spearheaded by Eisner), but since they canned him, they’ve really impressed me. There’s a lot more to Disney than ‘The Wizards of Waverly Place’, you know… Wink

Iznogood - 06 April 2013 05:54 PM

It is true that Miramax was owned by Disney at the time, but they still operated more or less independently from Disney.

I agree. The Weinsteins could do whatever they wanted, and when management started to interfere, they left and started The Weinstein Company. Now, the Weinsteins are by no means perfect (in fact they F up often too, with editing acquired films, and shelving lots of others while aiming for awards), but Miramax hasn’t been the same since they left, and you know what? Disney got rid of it when the quality dropped.

Iznogood - 06 April 2013 06:02 PM

Come to think of it, they did set that young *beep* up as Harrison Ford’s successor in ‘that skull thing’, so we might still see some new Indy movies.

I hope not. I still feel that Spielberg and Lucas should apologize for making Indy 4 (especially since Darabont allegedly made such a kick-ass script that everyone loved but that Lucas vetoed in favour of his own crappy script).

Christ, at what point in time did I become a Disney fanboy? Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

thinker - 06 April 2013 03:30 PM

You underestimate Disney

They seem to be almost always successful with strictly children entertainment but they appear to be the Kiss of Death for anything adult entertainment. They “kiddify” everything to the point of making it dull if you’re not 12 or younger.

Or even if you are. I never enjoyed any Disney films even as a kid and couldn’t see why all my friends were going on about them. Lion King, Jungle Book, Aladdin. Ugh.

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I actually knew someone who used to work at LucasArts in the San Francisco Bay Area, and I heard nothing but bad things about how that place was run. Nothing good was going to come out of them, adventure game wise anyway, had things continued as they were. We were just lucky to get those MI Special Editions!

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 06 April 2013 07:14 PM

I still feel that Spielberg and Lucas should apologize for making Indy 4 (especially since Darabont allegedly made such a kick-ass script that everyone loved but that Lucas vetoed in favour of his own crappy script).

Funny link

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

To keep on with the Disney thing a bit, they actually do make some good movies that aren’t either kiddy or big “dumb” blockbusters. Personally I really liked Secretariat to name something recent that came out of Disney itself and not some subsidiary. They don’t just make Pirates of the Caribbean sequels and kid movies.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top