• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

AbnaxusLittleRosewalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

R.I.P. LucasArts

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2007-02-25

PM

It is sad to think the company no longer exists and people lost their jobs, but they haven’t made a good game for a long while. I’m curious to see what it might mean for future Star Wars games though. I just really want another KOTR.

Currently Playing: Chicory: A Colorful Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

cwapitm - 04 April 2013 02:47 PM

I just really want another KOTR.

LucasArts didn’t make KotOR, BioWare did, and Obsidian made KotOR 2.

Ever since they abandoned their AG IP’s and focused solely on Star Wars, the best thing they put out had been outsourced…

The LucasArts that we love died almost fifteen years ago… Frown

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 214

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

TimovieMan - 04 April 2013 12:12 PM

LucasArts is to blame for that, not Disney.

Of course they are, no one said otherwise. I don’t know exactly what point you think you’re trying to make. I’m not complaining about Disney, I was merely expressing a frustration with the historic mismanagement at LucasArts which lead us to this point. This conversation is increasingly exasperating though so I’m done with it.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Jatsie - 04 April 2013 06:17 PM
TimovieMan - 04 April 2013 12:12 PM

LucasArts is to blame for that, not Disney.

Of course they are, no one said otherwise. I don’t know exactly what point you think you’re trying to make. I’m not complaining about Disney, I was merely expressing a frustration with the historic mismanagement at LucasArts which lead us to this point. This conversation is increasingly exasperating though so I’m done with it.

Maybe you should work on your reading and writing comprehension if you’re having such a frustrating time both expressing yourself and understanding others.

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I can’t help but think that this may not be good news for us adventure fans. Star Wars fans can rejoice but the press release fills me with pessimism…

“After evaluating our position in the games market, we’ve decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company’s risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games

They specifically mention Star Wars, and nothing else.

Call me doubtful, but I can’t see us playing any new adventures owned by LucasArts/Disney any time soon.

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2005-07-20

PM

The old memories I have make me sad to see them close, but they weren’t putting out anything good anyway anymore. 

The games we love the most from them will always be played and replayed.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

LucasArts died when Fullthrotle: Payback was canceled, and when Larry Ahern, Bill Tiller… and previously Tim Schafer had left the company, followed by the cancellation of Sam & Max: Freelance Police.

LucasArts died because PEOPLE had left the company. But it’s not really LucasArts’ fault - I can’t remember of a company which was active in 80s & 90s and is today actively releasing adventure games. Adventure games from 2000s tend to be games from the companies founded in 2000s.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

diego - 05 April 2013 06:52 AM

LucasArts died when Fullthrotle: Payback was canceled, and when Larry Ahern, Bill Tiller… and previously Tim Schafer had left the company, followed by the cancellation of Sam & Max: Freelance Police.

LucasArts died because PEOPLE had left the company. But it’s not really LucasArts’ fault - I can’t remember of a company which was active in 80s & 90s and is today actively releasing adventure games. Adventure games from 2000s tend to be games from the companies founded in 2000s.

Well, the LucasArts of old died then, but they still could have done plenty beyond adventure games if they ever for a minute had any leadership or clarity of vision. But they really didn’t. They went through Presidents like they were Walmart sneakers.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

BBC retrospective on Lucasarts: Remembering the Secret of Monkey Island

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I would also agree with Diego - I only heard about FT2 after it was cancelled, but I was with Sam and Max 2 from the start, and was stupidly excited about it until it was subsequently cancelled. Wasn’t it something like 95% completed?

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Jatsie -

I wasn’t really trying to make a point.
The way you constructed that sentence just gave me the impression that your frustration lied somewhat with Disney as well, so that’s what I was alluding at. A simple misunderstanding…

Lambonius -

Maybe you should work on your reading and writing comprehension if you’re having such a frustrating time both expressing yourself and understanding others.

That was uncalled for. Let’s not turn to personal remarks.

Diego -

But it’s not really LucasArts’ fault

No, it’s George Lucas’ fault alone! Break out the pitchforks!!! Crazy

No, seriously, it is LucasArts’ fault. If members of a certain company leave and form new companies of their own with more success than the company they just left, then there is absolutely no reason why the original company couldn’t have remained succesful either.
I realize that a lot of game companies didn’t survive the complete remodeling of the entire video game world at the end of the ‘90s and early ‘00s (not just LucasArts), but I do feel that bad management is always to blame when it does fail. If the market changes, you need to be able to adapt to the new situation…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

dave_minall - 05 April 2013 11:04 AM

I would also agree with Diego - I only heard about FT2 after it was cancelled, but I was with Sam and Max 2 from the start, and was stupidly excited about it until it was subsequently cancelled. Wasn’t it something like 95% completed?

Like 70-80% from what I understood.

What frustrated me most about that debacle is their refusal to sell the unfinished game to Telltale, even after LucasArts lost the rights to the Sam and Max IP. They literally could not use it even if they wanted to and still chose to turn down money for it, just for fear (I’m assuming) that its success could make them look foolish for canning it.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I don’t know if this has been mentioned here—if so I missed it—a petition from Bill Tiller suggesting Spielberg should buy the classic LucasArts IPs.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/speilberg-should-buy-classic-lucas-arts-ips/

Unfortunately the title of the page has Spielberg’s name spelled wrong.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

crabapple - 05 April 2013 12:59 PM

Unfortunately the title of the page has Spielberg’s name spelled wrong.

Haha…that always bodes well.  Nothing says “take my ideas seriously” like a misspelled internet petition!  Wink

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2003-09-13

PM

LucasArts, Interplay, Sierra, Origin, Infocom…layers upon layers.

I’m getting old.

Bullpucky

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top