• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445LittleRoseSefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Colossal Cave 3d - From Ken and Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Wow, they actually made it, without long delays and other troubles. The Williams are as professional as ever, I admire them. I’m also not familiar with the original Cave and I’m curious about how the oldschool gameplay works in 3D, although I wish it was the Zork trilogy instead, that series really needs one more relaunch. Anyway, congratulations!

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I remember the Colossal Cave. I didn’t really care for it, I preferred my beloved text adventures. But that was back then, so I’m curious what they’ve done with it. Not curious enough to pay $40 for it though. I’ll probably watch someone stream it on twitch or youtube.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

A review just posted on the front page. 2 1/2 stars. Although, from reading the review it would seem that 1 1/2 of those stars are for graphics and mechanics while only 1 star is for story, ease of play, etc. The reviewer says she ended up using a walkthrough. Not a great start, but from her description, an understandable decision. Seems there are 350 points to be gained during gameplay. But you lose points simply by reading the instructions for how to play the game. If that’s true the entire premise seems to be set up for continuous replay. I.e., read instructions. loose points. play game until concept is clear. restart game. Would seem to be a very tedious way to progress your way to the end.

BTW, the game is on sale at Steam. A whopping 10% off, so it only costs $35.99. Somehow I don’t think I will be buying it anytime soon.

The one thing I don’t recall reading in the review is what system the reviewer used when playing the game. I wonder because so many platforms are available. Is it possible that one or two platforms present a more-pleasurable gaming experience despite the game’s other shortcomings?

Edit: I just learned that the reviewer played the game on a PC.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

I’ve read a few reviews and it seems like most of the positives they are pointing out are the game’s history and influence and the involvement of Ken and Roberta. I have to wonder how much attention or sales the game would have generated without those factors. At this price point, my guess is very little.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Ken and Roberta really are the only reason why anyone is noticing Colossal Cave at all. Like many have pointed out, it’s a mechanically faithful remake of the original down to what Rtooney described: rinse and repeat until you manage to complete the game with a 100% score. It also isn’t graphically that impressive.

So, had this not been done by Ken and Roberta, it would generate very little interest at all.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I guess it’s worth mentioning, Ken lowered the price of Colossal Cave to 25 euros or so.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

It’s a nice effort, but it would have reach $10US to merit consideration. Honestly, I’m not sure it would interest me as freeware. I didn’t particularly care for it when it was released 40-odd years ago. Just because it was re-released by Ken and Roberta doesn’t make it any more appealing.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Yeah, I do see where you are coming from. As it’s essentially the same game as the original, it’s likely that if you didn’t like the text adventure,this wouldn’t fare much better.

As a side note, it’s now sale on GOG as well, with 20% off. So now it’s around the price I expected it would have been on launch.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top