• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

My Dune

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Colossal Cave 3d - From Ken and Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2020-10-05

PM

Greetings all! Roberta and I just announced the game we’re working on. It’s many months from completion, but up until now we’ve been calling it “The Secret.” Finally, we’re deep enough into the project we don’t mind showing a little of what we’re up to.

Check out: www.colossalcave3d.com

We have more photos from the game and some cool videos that will be live on the site on Thursday March 24th. I’d like them there now, but we’re coordinating with Unity to show them for the first time on Twitch during an interview on Wednesday. I’m not sure what time… or how someone finds the event (But, I’ll be there!)

Anyway .. if anyone has questions about what we’re up to that aren’t addressed on the website, ask here and I’ll try to answer as best I can.

Best wishes everyone!

Ken Williams
Cygnus Entertainment

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I don’t really have a question as such, but I do find it is very fitting, that you and Roberta are coming into a kind of a full circle with this, by remaking the game that gave the original spark of adventure for Roberta’s game designer ventures. And as such for Sierra as well.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Very cool.

Will the mac and windows release require some sort of VR device?

PS: I checked out the blog and it gave me a good laugh, the two of you hanging out with the likes of Metal Jesus and Drunk Master Paul!

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2020-10-05

PM

The game is being released in a VR version for the Quest 2 headset. We’ll probably follow with additional VR versions, but I’m not thinking that far ahead.

We’re also doing a non-VR version for Mac and Windows that will release at the same time.

-Ken W

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2012-06-30

PM

Hello Ken and Roberta Is this the same Colossal Cave that was the 1st in trilogy of Jewels of Darkness by Level 9 Computing ? If so will Adventure Quest and Dungeon Adventure be remade also?  And how did the Williams get the rights to the game ?

Thanks in Advance

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

that is soo AWESOME!, kinda like “when you question your love of something, get back to the basics that made you love it in the 1st place”

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2004-02-04

PM

daleks13 - 21 March 2022 08:26 PM

Hello Ken and Roberta Is this the same Colossal Cave that was the 1st in trilogy of Jewels of Darkness by Level 9 Computing ? If so will Adventure Quest and Dungeon Adventure be remade also?

As they explain in the game’s website: “The Colossal Cave is a reimagining of a game, that was originally introduced in 1975 by Will Crowther and Don woods, as a 3d fully immersive VR experience.”

It is some king of a remake of the original game, not the Level 9 remake from 1986.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

DREAMWEB - 22 March 2022 11:52 AM
daleks13 - 21 March 2022 08:26 PM

Hello Ken and Roberta Is this the same Colossal Cave that was the 1st in trilogy of Jewels of Darkness by Level 9 Computing ? If so will Adventure Quest and Dungeon Adventure be remade also?

As they explain in the game’s website: “The Colossal Cave is a reimagining of a game, that was originally introduced in 1975 by Will Crowther and Don woods, as a 3d fully immersive VR experience.”

It is some king of a remake of the original game, not the Level 9 remake from 1986.

This could be amazing. I’ll keep track of this games progress.

Heart  Heart  Heart  Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2007-04-16

PM

Well what a year 2022 turns out to be! Return of Ken and Roberta Williams as well as a new Monkey Island! I’ve never played the original Colossal Cave Adventure, but I guess I will now..!

Great to hear from you again, Ken. Just read your book and loved reading the story’s as well as the life lessons. So I’m all in Sierra-mode again. Would be great if this would open the door to new original work. Or can I opt for a Time Zone remake? Would be interesting as well. I’ve always been intrigued by that game, but never really got to play all the way through.

Anyway, good luck and looking forward to the project.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

I don’t know if any of you have seen it but in the new MetalJesusRocks video Ken and Roberta talk a little bit more about this new game, more information, gameplay footage (pre-alpha), etc.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

wow! thank Tenebra, ..
how did i not see this

so glad they are back of course but more for how they still complement each other, all the time to this day, and with the same care; wow, i really missed them, God bless them

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2007-04-16

PM

Great video indeed - the enthusiasm and chemistry of Ken and Roberta, plus the game previews really get me excited for the game! Polishing my VR-glasses to prepare.

And even some talk about another game. My first thought is a Time Zone VR-remake… Always intrigued by that one, but couldn’t get through it. But first, let’s dive into this cave.

Total Posts: 515

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

So has anyone played it yet?

I admit I was surprised to see it priced at $40 USD, which is more than twice any game I’ve paid for on Steam or any other platform. It could be that I’m cheap but already having a plethora of quality cheaper games to play means that I probably won’t be playing this until a 80% off sale comes around, or I win the lottery.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I haven’t played it, but from what I’ve read of it, I do believe I’ll wait for a sale. This is mostly because CC is exactly what Ken said it would be: as a faithful re-creation of Colossal Cave as possible by using modern tech. This means it’s full of trial and error and moon logic puzzles.

Now, while I’ve been intrigued about this game, I also know myself and I’m fairly certain, that I won’t be in love with the puzzle design. So, with that in mind, I can’t justify myself buying it at full price.

That said, I do want to congratulate Ken and Roberta on getting this game out of the door. They’ve been absent from the game scene for decades and coming back and managing to publish a game with new tech is a feat in itself. And they are still actively porting the game out for other platforms, so I can’t help put to admire the dedication they have towards Colossal Cave and its history.

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

First, congrats to Ken and Roberta on releasing a game. It looks good.
That being said, I do agree about the price. If the game would be priced around $15 or maybe even $20 I’d pick up the VR version on Quest2 on day one. There’s just something very compelling about generations leap of a game that started as a text adventure in the 70s… and now, almost 50 years later, you can be “inside” that same game. Very cool.

But yes, based on reviews, $40 is a really steep price.

Total Posts: 515

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

tomimt - 21 January 2023 12:48 AM

I haven’t played it, but from what I’ve read of it, I do believe I’ll wait for a sale. This is mostly because CC is exactly what Ken said it would be: as a faithful re-creation of Colossal Cave as possible by using modern tech. This means it’s full of trial and error and moon logic puzzles.

Now, while I’ve been intrigued about this game, I also know myself and I’m fairly certain, that I won’t be in love with the puzzle design. So, with that in mind, I can’t justify myself buying it at full price.

That said, I do want to congratulate Ken and Roberta on getting this game out of the door. They’ve been absent from the game scene for decades and coming back and managing to publish a game with new tech is a feat in itself. And they are still actively porting the game out for other platforms, so I can’t help put to admire the dedication they have towards Colossal Cave and its history.

The puzzle design is actually the main reason I’m somewhat interested in the game.

I’ve never played Colossal Cave, so no nostalgia there. And although I respect Roberta Williams as a pioneer, her games were never in my list of favorites. But if this game’s puzzles were designed like most adventure game puzzles are nowadays - encounter an obstacle, scout around for objects and people to talk to, then overcome said obstacle using some kind of logical solution -  it would be just another adventure game (with dated graphics and overpriced).

The fact that it requires multiple playthroughs and is apparently hard as hell is, ironically, pretty darn bold and fresh and I applaud Roberta & Ken for that.

AKA Charo

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top