• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Florus

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Spotlight Video: Shadow of Destiny

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2011-11-07

PM

Part of the goal of my channel, is to draw attention to lesser-known titles, and this is one of my favorites!  If you watch, please leave a comment over on YouTube. 

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

That’s an interesting video, thanks for sharing. Loved that fame way back in the day.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Played this on PS2 when it came out, and actually still own it on PSP. It had a really unique atmosphere and pacing—laid back on the surface, but with a strong undercurrent of panic. I enjoyed it, but recall wanting to enjoy it more (well, who wouldn’t want to enjoy anything more, but you know what I mean). Somewhat of a walking simulator, but *where* you walk and learning why and when to walk there is very important.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I don’t recall the game resembling a walking simulator in any way at all & as more of an engrossing adventure with interesting time-travelling mechanics + various options depending on what choices you make.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I meant it in the sense that I don’t recall there being many puzzles. You go around doing what you do until you die, and then rewind and try to do better, using the knowledge you obtained in your last try. If you’ve played the Nonary Games series, it’s kind of like that. It’s been a while, but that’s the impression I have.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Have you actually played the game Baron_Blubba?

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Man, I really dislike that adventure games with less puzzle challenge are inherently linked to a derisive term like Walking Simulator. Even it’s used neutrally by a given individual, the term often dismisses cool mechanics or interactions that are interesting for reasons other than raw challenge.

To prevent being misunderstood, I’m not saying Baron_Blubba did that. Their post is explicitly not dismissing anything. Mentioning it’s important to learn when and where to go (Although as a side note: there is more to Shadow of Destiny in particular, there’s choices that lead to multiple endings, inventory puzzles within the time mechanic, optional tasks you can miss via exploration that effect which ending you get, etc).

But that’s my general frustration that with using that label to describe easier or casual adventures. Not that it matters much, the term is here to stay for the foreseeable future lol.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

chrissie - 25 March 2022 04:43 PM

Have you actually played the game Baron_Blubba?

Yes, when it came out in 2001. As I said, I don’t remember the game perfectly, just that I enjoyed it. Everything else is 21 year old impressions.

Ironically, this is actually the only adventure game I have ever played. Usually I just make stuff up about games I’ve never played. For all I know, A New Beginning could be an immaculate timeless classic and Day of the Tentacle could be the videogames equivalent of a toxically polluted creek behind a mad scientist’s laboratory.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

PlanetX - 25 March 2022 04:48 PM

Man, I really dislike that adventure games with less puzzle challenge are inherently linked to a derisive term like Walking Simulator. Even it’s used neutrally by a given individual, the term often dismisses cool mechanics or interactions that are interesting for reasons other than raw challenge.

To prevent being misunderstood, I’m not saying Baron_Blubba did that. Their post is explicitly not dismissing anything. Mentioning it’s important to learn when and where to go (Although as a side note: there is more to Shadow of Destiny in particular, there’s choices that lead to multiple endings, inventory puzzles within the time mechanic, optional tasks you can miss via exploration that effect which ending you get, etc).

But that’s my general frustration that with using that label to describe easier or casual adventures. Not that it matters much, the term is here to stay for the foreseeable future lol.

I understand your point, but I reckon it always pays to distinguish the intention of the author for yourself.
In this case, I was just making a comparison and association. SoD/M is definitely not a walking simulator, but it also definitely had elements that reminded me of the genre.
To put it another way: No one would call the band Queen ‘thrash metal’, but they have several songs that are or have segments that are similar to elements of the thrash metal genre (ie. Metallica, Megadeth, etc).

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Baron_Blubba - 26 March 2022 03:10 PM

I understand your point, but I reckon it always pays to distinguish the intention of the author for yourself.
In this case, I was just making a comparison and association. SoD/M is definitely not a walking simulator, but it also definitely had elements that reminded me of the genre.
To put it another way: No one would call the band Queen ‘thrash metal’, but they have several songs that are or have segments that are similar to elements of the thrash metal genre (ie. Metallica, Megadeth, etc).

That’s fair and I think distinctions are good, descriptive clarity is good. I just wish something like casual adventure, adventure-lite, or whatever else had gained steam instead of something that’s still frequently used as an insult and carries that connotation.

Baron_Blubba - 26 March 2022 02:07 PM

Ironically, this is actually the only adventure game I have ever played. Usually I just make stuff up about games I’ve never played. For all I know, A New Beginning could be an immaculate timeless classic and Day of the Tentacle could be the videogames equivalent of a toxically polluted creek behind a mad scientist’s laboratory.

LOL

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I’m sure a large part of it depends on the crowd.
For example, there are branches of metal (the music genre) called metalcore and deathcore (stupid names, but I don’t make ‘em up). In certain circles of heavy metal fans, let’s say ‘old school true metal fans’ (stupid names, but I don’t make ‘em up) these words are descriptors that carry an intrinsic pejorative. Meanwhile, in certain circles of metalcore and deathcore fans, the ‘old school true heavy metal’ descriptor likewise carries an intrinsic pejorative.
My point is, walking simulators appeal to lots of people who probably will be turned off by the typical adventure game. Same thing with fans of hidden object games, another adjacent genre. At the same time, some adventure gamers don’t like walking sims and hidden object games. Admittedly, I’m one of them, albeit an open minded one.
Still, I don’t use walking sim as a pejorative, at least not in this case, just as an innocuous description of my experience with SoD.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 513

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I never use walking sim in a derogatory sense and would agree that Shadow of Destiny (Shadow of Memories where I live) kind of is one. Can’t remember doing much more than walking around in order to see events happening in different time periods, the “puzzle” being trying to find out when and where to be. Loved it big time! Played it on the PS2 way, waaay back though.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

PlanetX - 26 March 2022 04:12 PM
Baron_Blubba - 26 March 2022 03:10 PM

That’s fair and I think distinctions are good, descriptive clarity is good. I just wish something like casual adventure, adventure-lite, or whatever else had gained steam instead of something that’s still frequently used as an insult and carries that connotation.

Baron_Blubba - 26 March 2022 02:07 PM

LOL

Grin Grin

Joined 2011-11-07

PM

I wish you guys were having this discussion in the comments. ^^;  It’s exactly the kind of thing I’m trying to get going on my videos.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

SyberiaWinx - 30 March 2022 06:49 PM

I wish you guys were having this discussion in the comments. ^^;  It’s exactly the kind of thing I’m trying to get going on my videos.

I wish you were posting your reviews of adventure games here instead of using this forum to get more views of your youtube videos.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2011-11-07

PM

This thread is literally me posting my review, in a video format. D :  Yes, getting views is part of the reason I post them here, but the same could be said of anyone who posts a review, fanwork, etc.  I enjoy these games and want to share my thoughts and feelings.  I’d also like to hear those of the people who have played them and watch my videos.  But often people don’t bother commenting on the video itself, and if they comment here, I rarely get notified.  If this thread ever gets deleted, it’s all gone, too.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top