• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dalewalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dreamfall: Chapters

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Hamham Chan - 15 February 2013 08:56 AM

The graphics look a bit demanding. I hope I will be able to run the game on my pc. Meh

By 2014 end you might get new PC, no?

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2004-07-06

PM

Yeah, I probably have to.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

diego - 14 February 2013 07:02 PM

I’m not sure about the interface, seems to me they’re aiming for something like Tales of Monkey Island system but without the need to hold the mouse button, but the problem might still arise with camera moving while you try to click on the desired spot. Anyways, nice updates, and I’m glad the guy mentions lots of “riddles and puzzles” as I hope the gameplay-wise it doesn’t get too far into “interactive movie” ground.

But this seems to give the player control of the camera. I suppose it’s probably best played with mouse+keyboard or a gamepad with two sticks, not with only the mouse.

Also, stretch goals

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2010-03-18

PM

I don’t think the game will be very demanding, but maybe indeed for adventure standards.
It’s build in Unity I read somewhere, which is not a extreme demanding piece of development toolkit.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

peterdk - 15 February 2013 11:01 AM

I don’t think the game will be very demanding, but maybe indeed for adventure standards.
It’s build in Unity I read somewhere, which is not a extreme demanding piece of development toolkit.

Unity 3 may not be demanding but Unity 4 is.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

The demo got me more excited for this, because it’s finally an adventure game that isn’t stuck in ‘90s interface and presentation paradigms. It looks and feels like a modern 3D game, but it’s still a real adventure game.

I feel like a big part of the reason adventure games died is because no one was really looking at how 3D could make them better. When they grudgingly did go 3D with games like Grim Fandango, the move was largely superficial, and all it really added was awkward controls.

With the exception of Tex Murphy, games weren’t really looking at how new technology could change the genre, and 3D navigation could become an actual gameplay element. Even stuff like Heavy Rain, for as beautiful as it is, still feels sort of stuck in that 90s world of scripted camera angles and small sets comprised of set “screens.”

If we really want to see the genre return to relevance, we need to start looking at ways to embrace larger areas, intuitive 3D exploration of the environment, and modern control and camera paradigms. To say nothing of more cinematic presentation.

I feel like Dreamfall Chapters is something you can show to a modern mainstream gamer and it wouldn’t look archaic. I’m very happy to back attempts to really push this genre forward without compromising what makes it work.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Well, I hope they do a better job with this than they did with Dreamfall.

I understand your sentiment, Frogacuda, but I’m just not sure adventure games (minus combat or action of any sort) benefit greatly from 3D the same way RPG’s, platformers or action/adventures do.

I’ve found it can feel incredibly empty running around in a 3D world where you can’t jump or slash/shoot at things. With lots of places to run PAST and LOOK at, but nothing to actually DO. Lots of areas that are THERE…but what for?

But, having said that, I loved Stacking. That’s a game that felt alive. And I think that’s more important. The Longest Journey may have been 2D, but the world still felt a hell of a lot more alive than Dreamfall’s did.

I don’t know…I’m going to wait and see. But personally, I’m quite happy to see both the new and the old in my beloved genre. Smile

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Not really an adventure game in the proper sense (although not dissimilar to Dreamfall), but Shenmue was a good example of a dense, believable 3D world that felt alive, in a game that was strongly narrative and where action took a backseat. It was a world that invited and rewarded exploration. That feels like a logical fit to the genre for me.

I think there’s a way to balance the need for narrowness in spots for puzzle construction with a larger world that bridges these areas, that allows you to walk around and explore and talk to people. Not every moment has to be a lock and key puzzle, you can bridge those with a rich, fleshed out world, too, and it won’t take away from the puzzles.

In the same way cut scenes and cinematic flourishes strengthened the genre, I think that larger explorable worlds and a more modern presentation would bolster a game’s verisimilitude.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

There is no proper sense as to what an adventure game is btw. Saying Adventures are point and click are far from being proper sense. Tongue Shenmue is indeed an adventure game with the addition of the first ever ‘Quick Time Events’.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

To me adventure= verb and/or inventory puzzles + minimal action. But I hardly want to spark another genre definition debate around here.

I’m just saying I think you can keep with that basic idea of an adventure game, but in a larger, richer world with freer exploration.

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2011-02-25

PM

Shenmue is definitely not an adventure game. It is an action adventure game - from what i remember (i played it long ago) it is structured like an adventure , but it has fighting scenes and there is a lot of emphasis on not only QTE’s but also on fights so it is an action adventure. Same as Tomb Raider and Uncharted and other action adventures. If you can’t tell the difference between them, it doesn’t mean they are adventures - it only means you can’t make the difference between them.

Short answer: anything that has an emphasis on action scenes / fighting but also has elements of adventure game or also emphasizes exploration, is an action adventure.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Why not just call games like Tomb Raider action games? I thought an adventure game excluded any kind of action, so how can you have an action adventure? I’m confused.

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2011-02-25

PM

Yes, I am also of the opinion that an adventure excludes any kind of action scenes so I don’t consider Shenmue or Tomb Raider to be adventures.

As for how you can have an action adventure, people use the term for action games that also have an emphasis on exploration and puzzles - Shenmue and Tomb Raider comes to mind but there are better examples out there that i can’t think of right now.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

A.A - 15 February 2013 07:06 PM

I’ve found it can feel incredibly empty running around in a 3D world where you can’t jump or slash/shoot at things. With lots of places to run PAST and LOOK at, but nothing to actually DO. Lots of areas that are THERE…but what for?

But, having said that, I loved Stacking. That’s a game that felt alive. And I think that’s more important. The Longest Journey may have been 2D, but the world still felt a hell of a lot more alive than Dreamfall’s did.

I don’t know…I’m going to wait and see. But personally, I’m quite happy to see both the new and the old in my beloved genre. Smile

Empty or alive 3D worlds are a matter ot tech and design choices. The tech used for dreamfall was not the best. Ragnar himself even said that.

2D games can be just as bad for the “lots of places to run PAST and LOOK at, but nothing to actually DO. Lots of areas that are THERE…but what for? ” problem. Just look at Syberia for example.

I don’t see it being just a 3D problem.

Even going back to the likes of Grim Fandango, there was a world that felt alive. 3D tech has moved on considerably since then. Open World games like GTAIV, LA Noire and Sleeping Dogs etc are teaming with life so scaling that down to smaller open areas with lots to do and things to interact with should be no problem.

It’s all a matter of design.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Re: Action/adventures- Usually the puzzles are about pushing switches or pulling levers rather than more inventory-focused adventure game puzzles.

I think Psychonauts is an action/adventure (or adventure/action) game in the truest sense. There was some fairly adventure game-y parts to that.

All of which, is completely beside the point.

On topic…

$16,387 until funded! Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top