• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dreamfall: Chapters

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

I didn’t think their video was amazing either, but I like what they showed, even if it wasn’t much.

Still, it’s hard to imagine a TLJ fan that won’t pledge after watching the video. My guess is that the people who need to be convinced aren’t particularly big fans of the franchise anyway. This is Kickstarter after all—a mechanism to sell to fans of something or someone, at least in the game space. Newcomers can always buy the game when it’s done if they aren’t convinced.

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

Fien - 10 February 2013 07:11 PM

The team would also have to show some enthusiasm, maybe even some form of passion. Their presentation sucks majorly. You want me to read this text? Okay boss, whatever you say, as long as I get paid.

Harsh Fien, very harsh. One of the three IS the boss, the other two also heavily involved (and have been for a long time), so I hardly think it’s the case that all they care about is getting paid. Ok, it’s not a great “performance” - they’re not Tim Schafer & English isn’t their native tongue, but I think they get the gist over well enough.

diego - 10 February 2013 05:22 PM

I’d say the campaign is riding high (and deservedly so) on the legacy of previous games.

Well doh. Of course it is - that’s the whole point of the promotional video. If you want a continuation of the story (with improvements), pledge!

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

DaveyB - 11 February 2013 05:45 AM
Fien - 10 February 2013 07:11 PM

The team would also have to show some enthusiasm, maybe even some form of passion. Their presentation sucks majorly. You want me to read this text? Okay boss, whatever you say, as long as I get paid.

Harsh Fien, very harsh.

Hyperbole!  Tongue

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

orient - 11 February 2013 05:08 AM

I didn’t think their video was amazing either, but I like what they showed, even if it wasn’t much.

Still, it’s hard to imagine a TLJ fan that won’t pledge after watching the video. My guess is that the people who need to be convinced aren’t particularly big fans of the franchise anyway. This is Kickstarter after all—a mechanism to sell to fans of something or someone, at least in the game space. Newcomers can always buy the game when it’s done if they aren’t convinced.

Well, to me it looks more like a Dreamfall game than a TLJ game. And not all TLJ fans loved Dreamfall or Zoe.

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

Oscar - 11 February 2013 06:26 AM

Well, to me it looks more like a Dreamfall game than a TLJ game. And not all TLJ fans loved Dreamfall or Zoe.

Well yes, it’s a continuation of Dreamfall so no question that that’s true. TLJ was a complete story…Dreamfall (despite Ragnar’s protestations to the contrary) wasn’t! But going by the current Kickstarter campaign, there are clearly enough TLJ fans who DID also love Dreamfall & Zoe, despite its (undeniable) flaws. Think I’m right in saying it’s 2nd (by a long way) at this stage of funding of all Kickstarter Adventures?

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2003-11-21

PM

DaveyB - 11 February 2013 06:37 AM

Think I’m right in saying it’s 2nd (by a long way) at this stage of funding of all Kickstarter Adventures?

If by that you mean the ~600k they gathered so far already puts it in second place, then no. Larry’s Remake campaign and Tex Murphy ended up slightly higher. And of course there is the largely unknown and incredibly confusing phenomenon of Homestuck, which I am not sure counts as an AG.
But when all’s said and done, my guess is Chapters will indeed be standing at second place of overall funding totals.

As for the campaign itself, I pretty much agree with people saying it was lacking a bit in spirit and was overlong (5-6 minutes tops, I think, should be the limit). It made it up with its “professional” look and attention to detail (the sound/camerawork/montage, etc. in other KS pitches were too amateurish) but yeah, no imaginary hand grabbing my wallet after seeing the video. Also, too much lens flare maybe?

Regardless of all this, I am not a big enough fan of the previous games to pledge but I am keeping my eye on it and will probably buy on release, if it delivers.

No good deed goes unpunished

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

maladroid - 11 February 2013 07:04 AM
DaveyB - 11 February 2013 06:37 AM

Think I’m right in saying it’s 2nd (by a long way) at this stage of funding of all Kickstarter Adventures?

If by that you mean the ~600k they gathered so far already puts it in second place, then no.

Nope, I said at this stage. Hence I meant no other adventure Kickstarter has raised so much within 2 days.

Total Posts: 212

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

I’m happy to be finally getting a conclusion to the story, seeing as I’ve always held that Dreamfall was only ever half a game.

What I’m curious about, though, is will this be a full game when it’s released, or is it going to be episodic? A while back there was talk about an episodic sequel to Dreamfall, and picking a name like “Chapters” carries with it that sort of implication. I only skim read the pitch page because it was very dry and a whole lot of TL;DR about rewards, but I didn’t spot anything regarding this.

Fien - 11 February 2013 04:05 AM

As others have said, the few art samples (Zoe!) don’t look all that appealing

What did they do to Zoe’s face? She used to be quite pretty, now it just looks angular and emaciated.  Meh

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

Jatsie - 11 February 2013 09:18 AM

I’m happy to be finally getting a conclusion to the story, seeing as I’ve always held that Dreamfall was only ever half a game.

What I’m curious about, though, is will this be a full game when it’s released, or is it going to be episodic?

No, not episodic - that’s been clearly stated by Ragnar a number of times over the last couple of months. Dreamfall was indeed only “half a game” Wink. I didn’t really have a problem with that…just a shame it’s taken 7+ years for the 2nd half lol.

Fien - 11 February 2013 04:05 AM

As others have said, the few art samples (Zoe!) don’t look all that appealing

What did they do to Zoe’s face? She used to be quite pretty, now it just looks angular and emaciated.  Meh

Shows everyone’s different I guess. Personally I really like it. I think you’ve got a different view on what’s “emaciated” to me, I know that. My only problem with the Zoe pictures is the one where her neck looks really long & thin - makes her look like some sort of dinosaur or ostrich Laughing

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2005-12-19

PM

What I’m curious about, though, is will this be a full game when it’s released, or is it going to be episodic? A while back there was talk about an episodic sequel to Dreamfall, and picking a name like “Chapters” carries with it that sort of implication. I only skim read the pitch page because it was very dry and a whole lot of TL;DR about rewards, but I didn’t spot anything regarding this.

According to the second part of the RPS interview with Tørnquist, Chapters will conclude Zoe’s story, but he’d like to make more games in the same universe.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I’m just happy Zoe’s no longer so A-Symmetrical. lol She’s real beautiful to me.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

Am I crazy for wanting to pledge at least $75?! I’ve never pledged on Kickstarter, but short stories, detailed map, graphic novel…count me in!

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Oscar - 11 February 2013 06:26 AM

There’s a great interview on Rock Paper Shotgun where Ragnar talks about recapturing some of the “magic” of TLJ that was lost in Dreamfall, as well as some stuff on the interface—it’s going to be direct-control and point & click, apparently.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2007-01-11

PM

I’m slightly surprised by the amount of negativity, but then again the TLJ/DF series is my favourite series all time, I see the flaws, but I think the game they’re aiming to make will exceed both TLJ and DF in brilliance.

And as for the lack of passion goes, as a fellow Norwegian, I have got to confirm, as others have that is a LOT of emotion to show.

I am very excited to see how much this kickstarter goes up to - the bigger the better.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Elfhybrid, were you once known by the nickname Elfstone, or am I imagening things?

And I’m very excited too! Dreamfall is one of my favorite adventures.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top