• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dreamfall: Chapters

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I played this up to the point where I saw Anna, and I was too bothered by all the dialog not respecting my choice from the last game. I also read that fixing this is going to involve not just a patch but replaying the last minutes of the last episode and starting 3 over, so I’ve decided to hold off for now.

Chapter 3 doesn’t make a great first impression. It starts with one of the most aggrevating pixel hunts in recent memory, it’s buggy, and some of the dialog seems rather silly.

EDIT: And as I post this, the patch is released. Here we go again with these goddamn drawings.

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2014-10-28

PM

Damn, I was almost tempted to finally jump into Book One and get up to speed with this series, but on second thought—and after reading people’s impressions in this thread—I’ll wait for the whole thing to be released, patched and perhaps even re-released again (you know how these things are) before I do.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Yeah that drawing hunting is a bit annoying.

Fortunately I also stopped playing when I reached these bugs, so I only have about an hour I have to replay. (And I got to see the consequence of some alternative choice, without having to make them myself Smile)

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Jade - 26 June 2015 01:19 PM

Damn, I was almost tempted to finally jump into Book One and get up to speed with this series, but on second thought—and after reading people’s impressions in this thread—I’ll wait for the whole thing to be released, patched and perhaps even re-released again (you know how these things are) before I do.

I’m definitely waiting until the game is completed and fully patched.
Bugs like these would spoil the game for me.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

This bug wouldn’t have affected you if you did. It was caused by a discrepency between the patched and unpatched Book 2, so if you played the patched version from the beginning you were fine.

In any event it seems to be fixed now, but I’m kind of banging my head against another one of the puzzles.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Frogacuda - 26 June 2015 02:12 PM

In any event it seems to be fixed now, but I’m kind of banging my head against another one of the puzzles.

Just wait until you get further into the episode and it’s just cutscene after cutscene after cutscene; you’ll start missing the gameplay, awful as it was.

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Kurufinwe - 26 June 2015 02:30 PM

Just wait until you get further into the episode and it’s just cutscene after cutscene after cutscene; you’ll start missing the gameplay, awful as it was.

Even during normal conversations there isn’t much in the way of dialogue choice compared to the previous books, so interaction is minimal. Meh

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

So it’s the last couple of hours of Dreamfall: The Longest Journey all over again? Pity.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Frogacuda - 26 June 2015 02:12 PM

This bug wouldn’t have affected you if you did. It was caused by a discrepency between the patched and unpatched Book 2, so if you played the patched version from the beginning you were fine.

In any event it seems to be fixed now…

If you want to wait until the full release, then that is of course your choice, but you shouldn’t do it because you are afraid of bugs. Compared to many other releases, both episodic and normal full games, it is surprisingly bug free, and they have been very fast with patches for the few bugs that there were.

Dale - 26 June 2015 02:40 PM
Kurufinwe - 26 June 2015 02:30 PM

Even during normal conversations there isn’t much in the way of dialogue choice compared to the previous books, so interaction is minimal. Meh

Yeah, story-wise we learn a lot of new things and solve some old mysteries (more or less), but there aren’t many puzzles, and the few there are are very easy, also only very few decisions to make, really only one in fact. Compared to book one and two it was a little bit disappointing Meh

Still those that have been complaining about the running in book two, should be pleased to learn that that is also more or less completely removed, with the game being more on rails now - a shame imo.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

You should definitely wait. The bugs notwithstanding, I find it very difficult to follow this story episodically. I keep realising that I’ve forgotten who half of the (minor) characters are or what happened in the previous episodes—and the game does a very poor job of reminding you.

I generally love following shows week to week, I love episodic games, but here I find myself wishing that I had waited until the whole thing was over before playing it, because the constant confusion is seriously decreasing my enjoyment of the game.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Yeah, the combination of very dense story and long gaps between episodes makes the format a bit less appealing, and I generally enjoy episodes.

That said, the gap is months not years, and I’m confident the game is going to be completed, so they’re still doing better than a lot of people who try episodes.

Story wise, this episode moves things along pretty well, and there are some fun puzzles, if mostly easy. The fact that you can’t interact with objects until after you find whatever puzzle needs them is a needlessly confusing bit of game logic, though.

Virtually no choices made this episode either.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’ve finished the episode. It ends better than it starts; it was nice to have Crow around again. Doesn’t make up for the awful beginning or lack of interactivity in the middle, though.

If we’re 60 % through the story, then it’s going to have a much smaller scope than I had originally expected / hoped for. I wish so much time hadn’t been wasted on uninteresting stuff (all the Europolis politics, hanging out with the resistance to uncover nothing of importance…). I’m realising how little I care about any of it, and it kinda makes me sad—a continuation of TLF/Dreamfall shouldn’t make me feel that way.

EDIT: At least, this episode pretty much confirmed that Brian Westhouse is evil. I guess that’s something.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Kurufinwe - 27 June 2015 03:16 AM

I wish so much time hadn’t been wasted on uninteresting stuff (all the Europolis politics, hanging out with the resistance to uncover nothing of importance…). I’m realising how little I care about any of it, and it kinda makes me sad—a continuation of TLF/Dreamfall shouldn’t make me feel that way.

Nut that political aspect is clearly important for the big picture of the story, and they do paraller each other in both worlds. What the final payoff from that is, remains to be seen, but it doesn’t feel pointless to me at least now.

Overall I liked the episode. It definetly was more of a story exposition this time around, stuff being explained in more detail. I do agree about the beginning being a tad tedious, but mostly because the hotspots didn’t seem to be registering correctly every time I looked around for the drawings, so that might be more of a technical glitch.

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2014-10-28

PM

Thanks for the useful feedback, fellow AGers! I think I’ll wait until the whole series is done before jumping in. Smile

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

As I mentioned earlier, book three was a bit of a disappointment for me, and I have given some thought as to why that is - and my conclusion is that it is the episodic format that is beginning to show its ugly face!

Unlike some others, then I have absolutely no problem remembering what has happened between the books, and in the first two books the episodic format didn’t really bother me at all, and even though the long waits are beginning to somewhat overtax my patience, then that is not the issue.

The problem is that in the first two books, we had different decisions both big and small that we had to make, and some of those decisions would have long term consequences, whereas others would have immediately and large consequences within the same book, but this is not the case in book three. There are some choices carried over from the previous books with effects in this book, but there is only really one single decision to make, and that decision has absolutely no immediately effect at all.

That is simply not good enough!
You can’t have an episodic game that is very much based on choice/consequence, and then have a whole episode where the choice/consequence system is more or less completely abandoned.

Also as I see it, this book is really a transition chapter/book. What I mean by that is that the two first books started a lot of things and threw a lot of balls into the air, and now the third book catches all those balls and puts a nice end to the first part of the story, while at the same time it also sets the stage for the second part, and what will happen in book four and five.

But an episode in an episodic game also has to able to, at least to some degree, stand on its own feet, and be a small game in its own right. It can’t just be a chapter in a larger story, and you can’t have a whole episode that just works as this kind of transition. As the middle part of the full game, then it might work perfectly fine, but as an episode in an episodic game it simply doesn’t. 

I still enjoy Chapters very much, and I still have high hopes for the final full game, but I must admit that I’m beginning to regret that I didn’t have the patience to wait until the full release before playing it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top