• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

AbnaxusLittleRosewalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dreamfall: Chapters

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I finished the chapter. it was a lot longer than I was expecting, I like it!

I agree that exploring both cities is fun and solving some puzzles felt good. Stuff like investigating Hanna, or identifying the traitor was a little more then fetch quests. I even got stuck for a big time because I I didn’t realize you could talk to the adbot in Propast! Neutral

Game is full with tiny graphical glitches but at least perfomance is a lot better and much more playable. Still has a bit of “Early Access” fell sometimes with the impression that a lot of it wll be patched later.

Iznogood - 13 March 2015 03:40 PM
tomimt - 13 March 2015 01:00 PM

This was definetly a great episode. The story is really hitting on gears now and the choices and consequences look like they have actual meaning and effect on how the story unfolds. There also was a couple of puzzle there which made me quit the game for a while and ponder them when I was doing other stuff.

I agree, on all three points - Though I didn’t actually quit the game while pondering, which might explain why it took me longer.

I can’t help wondering if I really did the right thing, by giving the data to Baruti. But I guess a second playthrough might reveal that, though I suspect he is dead as a dodo either way.

I also agree, choices gameplay is well done. Got me thinking a lot of times. In Propast I went with giving the data to Baruti and that didn’t turn out very well…
In Kian I was stumped in what to do with the witch and ended up not choosing because I didn’t notice there was a time limit for it.

Kurufinwe - 13 March 2015 07:24 PM

However, talking to the Mole reminded me of TLJ and how much I’d like that game to get a proper sequel. All the stuff about dreams and the Azadi and WATI and the prophet (we still all agree that he’s Brian Westhouse, right?) is fine, but I’d really love to get more stories about the Balance and the Draic Kin—and more Cortez, dammit!

Oh, and speaking of which, I was surprised at how sad it made me to learn that the Bandas had all been exterminated. They were silly, but I kinda liked the little guys, and it’s sad that their stories and culture are just gone. Cry

I hope that was not the end of Banda!  Meh  and I hope Zoe moves on from Europolis conspiracies and moves on to fantasy world now

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Well, presently,  I’m lost in Marcuria, wandering around a bunch of buildings I can’t enter, trying to find someone or something to help me with my tasks and, frankly, I’m bored out of my brains. THIS is the future of adventure gaming? Really?

I maintain 3D adventure games need SMALLER areas with LOTS of interaction, not BIG areas with minimal interaction as in what I’ve seen of Dreamfall Chapters. There’s just not much to do in these big, empty places, and I find it increasingly and incredibly boring. Collectibles would actually REALLY REALLY help things here, however much some people may think them irrelevant. 

Some of the writing is just atrocious too. Not even talking about the AMOUNT of dialogue- which is bad- but some of the cheesiness is just groan-inducing.

Really frustrating experience so far, not helped by the fact it isn’t running all that flash, (but playable at least, which is more than I can say for Grim).

Oh, well. Hopefully Life is Strange and Borderlands will be more satisfactory in the coming weeks.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

A.A - 14 March 2015 08:09 AM

Well, presently,  I’m lost in Marcuria, wandering around a bunch of buildings I can’t enter, trying to find someone or something to help me with my tasks and, frankly, I’m bored out of my brains. THIS is the future of adventure gaming? Really?

I maintain 3D adventure games need SMALLER areas with LOTS of interaction, not BIG areas with minimal interaction as in what I’ve seen of Dreamfall Chapters. There’s just not much to do in these big, empty places, and I find it increasingly and incredibly boring. Collectibles would actually REALLY REALLY help things here, however much some people may think them irrelevant. 

I don’t agree that the areas should be smaller, I like to explore the city. I do agree that it feels empty sometimes. I don’t think it needs collectibles but it could use some side quests to explore the lore of both cities. More characters to talk and some stuff to do not just related to the main quest.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

A.A - 14 March 2015 08:09 AM

Some of the writing is just atrocious too. Not even talking about the AMOUNT of dialogue- which is bad- but some of the cheesiness is just groan-inducing.

Could you elobrate on that? I found the writing to be mostly good, great even. There’s some amount of bulky dialogue that feels a bit off, but mostly the level of writing is pretty strong IMO.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

If I have one complain about the game, then it is the whole choice-consequence thing with the Azardi Captain. That was simply over the top, and felt very forced to me.

I mean first we learn that he is a paedophile, which supposedly is there to give us some moral reason to torture and kill him Meh And when we don’t do that, Lihko doesn’t trust our information, believes it is a ruse and doesn’t warn and pull out our people Sick All that proves to me is that Lihko is a total and complete idiot!

[spoiler]Everybody knows that information retrieved through torture is notoriously unreliable .. Hell .. even the Inquisition knew it wasn’t worth the paper it was written on, despite that Lihko will only trust the information if we torture the guy And on top of that he would have us throw away am excellent inside source of information, because he cares more about personal vendettas and revenge than he cares about actually winning the rebellion Pan[/spoiler]

I’m pretty sure that this was meant as some kind of moral dilemma, but it simply doesn’t come off that way, at least not to me. Apart from that I generally think it is a very well written game.

wilco - 14 March 2015 07:24 AM

I also agree, choices gameplay is well done. Got me thinking a lot of times. In Propast I went with giving the data to Baruti and that didn’t turn out very well…

I still think it was the right decision though, despite of the consequence!

In Kian I was stumped in what to do with the witch and ended up not choosing because I didn’t notice there was a time limit for it.

Same thing happened to me when it came to kissing Anna, I didn’t realise there was a time-limit. Reloaded last save though, just so I could give her one.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

Oh my god I missed the kiss with Anna too! Because I was too busy having a look at what other players had chosen I didn’t realise there was a timer because usually there isn’t in moral choices. WAH! Nevermind, i’m sure there will be a consequence either way.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Iznogood - 14 March 2015 12:46 PM

If I have one complain about the game, then it is the whole choice-consequence thing with the Azardi Captain. That was simply over the top, and felt very forced to me.

I mean first we learn that he is a paedophile, which supposedly is there to give us some moral reason to torture and kill him Meh And when we don’t do that, Lihko doesn’t trust our information, believes it is a ruse and doesn’t warn and pull out our people Sick All that proves to me is that Lihko is a total and complete idiot!

[spoiler]Everybody knows that information retrieved through torture is notoriously unreliable .. Hell .. even the Inquisition knew it wasn’t worth the paper it was written on, despite that Lihko will only trust the information if we torture the guy And on top of that he would have us throw away am excellent inside source of information, because he cares more about personal vendettas and revenge than he cares about actually winning the rebellion Pan[/spoiler]

I’m pretty sure that this was meant as some kind of moral dilemma, but it simply doesn’t come off that way, at least not to me. Apart from that I generally think it is a very well written game.

I tortured and killed him, didn’t make sense to leave him alive to spread information in context (and him being evil-evil…). Don’t quite see why Enu was complaining so much after… Why did she think he would be an informant in the tower?!?

I still think it was the right decision though, despite of the consequence!

What happens if you go to the Hand with the disk and not Baruti?

Same thing happened to me when it came to kissing Anna, I didn’t realise there was a time-limit. Reloaded last save though, just so I could give her one.

Didnt even noticed the time-limit there. I just pressed kiss as fast as I could!  Tongue

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

wilco - 14 March 2015 02:16 PM

I tortured and killed him, didn’t make sense to leave him alive to spread information in context (and him being evil-evil…). Don’t quite see why Enu was complaining so much after… Why did she think he would be an informant in the tower?!?

Because he will be!
Blackmail my friend, blackmail. Never underestimate the power of blackmail, and blackmail was the whole purpose of the mission to begin with.
He is only too eager to talk, without the need for any torture, and if you keep him alive, we turn him into a spy working for us.

Either way, it seems that if you choose option A, Lihko will turn into a whining child incapable of rational thought, and will hate us even more than he already does, and if you choose option B, we will antagonize Enu. I wonder what would happen if we chose half of each?

From what I have heard Baruti doesn’t get killed, at least not in this book. But I will try that out in my alternative playthrough, which I haven’t started for book two yet.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Here it goes: Beruti is pissed off and later the Hand office is being ransacked by the eye police. In this thing Beruti doesn’t end up dead, but as far I can tell he and Zoe aren’t in the best of terms anymore.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Iznogood - 14 March 2015 02:36 PM

Because he will be!
Blackmail my friend, blackmail. Never underestimate the power of blackmail, and blackmail was the whole purpose of the mission to begin with.
He is only too eager to talk, without the need for any torture, and if you keep him alive, we turn him into a spy working for us.

Either way, it seems that if you choose option A, Lihko will turn into a whining child incapable of rational thought, and will hate us even more than he already does, and if you choose option B, we will antagonize Enu. I wonder what would happen if we chose half of each?

Oh well… I didn’t think it would actually happen, at least Lihko is happy and people saved…...  Meh Do we see him being an informant in this Book?
Yes, torture not kill needs to be tried

tomimt - 14 March 2015 02:51 PM

Here it goes: Beruti is pissed off and later the Hand office is being ransacked by the eye police. In this thing Beruti doesn’t end up dead, but as far I can tell he and Zoe aren’t in the best of terms anymore.

Does the news get published in this Book? Does anyone at the Hand gets killed?

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

wilco - 14 March 2015 03:26 PM

No on both. But they are determined to get it published. What ever happens takes place most likely in the 3rd book.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

tomimt - 14 March 2015 04:09 PM

No on both. But they are determined to get it published. What ever happens takes place most likely in the 3rd book.

Ah, thanks. That makes sense, makes it closer to the “give it to Baruti” choice, the main difference being his fate.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Oh well… I didn’t think it would actually happen, at least Lihko is happy and people saved…...  Meh Do we see him being an informant in this Book?

No - But he agrees to.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I think I’m one of the few who tortured the captain, but let him live. In this scenario, Likho trusts the information, and seems generally satisfied, and Enu is a little pissed but glad I didn’t kill him.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Ahem. I, er, mayhaps, have been a touch hasty with my previous judgement. Cough.

Took a day off from it, gave it another whirl, managed to get my bearings and did what needed to be done. I think part of the problem for me might have been the nighttime. Might sound silly but it was a bit dark for me in trying to navigate around and often found myself wishing it was day. Anyway,I got used to it, eventually figured out what to do, and now back in Stark where I’m more comfortable. Still say there’s too much ‘nothing’ to justify the size of these hubs, but I digress.

Good to see the story moving along a bit, and most of the dialogue being not too bad. My main sticking point with the dialogue being the encounter with the kid in Arcadia. Just….ugh.

I still haven’t replayed book 1 (even for the different career) and I doubt I’ll do so once I’ve finished book 2, but I may replay the game once its all out. Especially if I have a PS4 by then.

We’ll see how I feel once I finish the book. But at present I’m warmer towards it then I was… Wink

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top