• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dreamfall: Chapters

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

Wasn’t one of the stretch goals going to be that the player can find and collect “tomes” to help rebuild the library in Marcuria? Books you can read etc. Finished Kians section and there are no collectibles to be seen, LIES Frown Shame because I like collectibles in games and it definitely adds more gameplay, would have been nice to read some arcadian history and lore too.

I’m about half way through and some thoughts:

there still seems to be quite a lot of bugs. Dreamfall Chapters IS the buggiest game i’ve ever played. Bug Central. Not really sure why. To name A FEW: ships flying out of walls in stark on a loop and floating into you. terminator eyes on quite a few characters blinding me. Still SOME laggy cutscenes where the characters lip syncing is virtually nonexistent. Still unable to minimize screen resolution from 1280 x 800 (there are no other options in the settings), this usually helps with the lag in other games.

HOWEVER, i’m still enjoying it!  Will resume again after snacks

Smile

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Meh. I’m not done with the episode yet, but for now it’s just been more running around in a big city while performing various mindless fetch quests (with a vague Assassin’s-Creed-lite tone this time around). Judging from the previous episode and the original Dreamfall, it’s clear Tørnquist likes this type of gameplay. I don’t. Meh

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

I do actually think Marcuria was done rather well this time, although I would like to see it in the day! It was nice to visit familiar locations from TLJ and Dreamfall and had a big emphasis on exploring (again it would have been a lot better if there were little collectibles you could find on the way).

The map system is terrible. I just wanted to pop the map up every so often instead of trying to find one.

It would also help to have a character guide. I’m assuming the ‘first of the six’ was one of the girls Kian went to go see back in his homeland in Dreamfall? But who was Hami and “the mother”. Blahhhh.

Kian also says he recognises blind bob but I also forgot who he was in Dreamfall.

I wish i could have gone inside the Journeyman inn Frown

Puzzles were fairly easy I guess although sometimes I did have to think about what I was doing. You certainly have to use more braincells than a Telltale game anyway.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’ve been playing book 2 for a couple of hours now and I find it pretty enjoyable. Mercuria looks amazing and feels very atmospheric. And there’s a lot of areas to explore. I think there’s also increacingly more complexity about the puzzles, but at the same time they can feel easy or simple becuase they’re pretty logical, which is a good thing.

There still seems to be some glitches here and there, like some flickering with the graphics and what not, but overall the quality of the production keeps me impressed. It’s simply amazing how much they’ve managed to do with the limited budget they have.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

aaroncarney - 12 March 2015 06:54 PM

Dreamfall Chapters IS the buggiest game i’ve ever played. Bug Central. Not really sure why. To name A FEW: ships flying out of walls in stark on a loop and floating into you. terminator eyes on quite a few characters blinding me. Still SOME laggy cutscenes where the characters lip syncing is virtually nonexistent.

Again another poorly optimised chapter with no stable frame rates,even though not a nextgen it’s hardly playable.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It has a lot to do with Unity engine. Maybe it’ll help the performance if they’ll switch to Unity 5, something they’ll propably do with PS4 relesease, which should have notable performance upgrades. They’ve pretty much pushed the old U4 engine to its performance limits.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Wasn’t one of the stretch goals going to be that the player can find and collect “tomes” to help rebuild the library in Marcuria?

Don’t know about any stretch goals, but I also haven’t found any books.

there still seems to be quite a lot of bugs. Dreamfall Chapters IS the buggiest game i’ve ever played. Bug Central. Not really sure why. To name A FEW: ships flying out of walls in stark on a loop and floating into you. terminator eyes on quite a few characters blinding me. Still SOME laggy cutscenes where the characters lip syncing is virtually nonexistent. Still unable to minimize screen resolution from 1280 x 800 (there are no other options in the settings), this usually helps with the lag in other games.

If DC is the buggiest game you have ever played, than you have either been extremely lucky with other games, or been extremely unlucky with DC. I personally haven’t encountered a single bug yet, which I actually think is very impressive, a few graphical glitches perhaps but none that I actually noticed, and the performance could be better but it’s not so bad it is a problem. Compare it to almost every other modern 3D game, where I have come to expect them to crash to the desktop about once every 2-3 hours, then I think that they have done an excellent job.

tomimt - 13 March 2015 05:17 AM

I’ve been playing book 2 for a couple of hours now and I find it pretty enjoyable. Mercuria looks amazing and feels very atmospheric. And there’s a lot of areas to explore. I think there’s also increacingly more complexity about the puzzles, but at the same time they can feel easy or simple becuase they’re pretty logical, which is a good thing.

Yeah I agree, and they have actually ramped up the difficulty of the puzzles considerable. Causing the explosion in Mercuria actually requires a lot of steps, and had me stumped for quite a while, and finding Hanna in Propast was actually outright difficult and required a bit of lateral thinking.

aaroncarney - 12 March 2015 08:30 PM

The map system is terrible. I just wanted to pop the map up every so often instead of trying to find one.

I actually enjoy that there isn’t a build in map, and that we have to explore and find places on our own, I almost never consult the map-stand.

It would also help to have a character guide.

Try consulting the character section of TLJ-Wiki.

But who was Hami and “the mother”.

I believe they are new characters in the game, at best Kian might have mentioned them in Dreamfall, but we haven’t seen them before.

Kian also says he recognises blind bob but I also forgot who he was in Dreamfall.

Theoretical-Blind-Bob sitting in front of the Journeyman-Inn wanting some wine from Zoë, now know as Not-Blind-Bob.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I also love some of the new character introduce in this book, of course especially Enu and Bib, I mean who doesn’t love those two.

And the plot is getting thicker and thicker: Already in book one we had random people on the street telling Zoë to “Wake Up”, but now suddenly Dr. Roman leans over and says “You need to wake up Zoë”, during one of their sessions, and we never get a chance to ask him what he actually meant. Then it is followed by Queniee telling us “Part of you is lost in dreaming. And part of you… part of you is a dream. You’re not all here. That worries me.”

I am now convinced that Zoë isn’t actually really in Propast, but has dreamt herself into the city, similar to how she dreamt her into Arcardia in the first game. Whether it actually means that she is attached to a dream-machine somewhere, is still in a coma, or something else, I however haven’t got a clue about.

Then there is the big decision that Zoë has to make, giving the data she has recovered to Baruti or to The Hand. It would actually be interesting to hear what the rest of you chose and why.

Personally I can’t remember the last time I was this indecisive. I started running towards The Hand, then I changed my mind halfway there, and instead went to Baruti, then when looking him straight into his eyes, I once again had a change of heart and decided I didn’t trust him, and instead gave the data to Sully. But now I am regretting that, and are planning on reloading and replaying that decision and instead give the data to Baruti. The point being that I realised that I trust The Hand even less than I trust Baruti, but also because I believe there might be more to this than what we have discovered. For all we know it might be some ruse to discredit Lea Uminska, and it might not (all) be true. At least I think it should be investigated more, before just publishing the data.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Wasn’t one of the stretch goals going to be that the player can find and collect “tomes” to help rebuild the library in Marcuria? Books you can read etc. Finished Kians section and there are no collectibles to be seen, LIES Frown Shame because I like collectibles in games and it definitely adds more gameplay, would have been nice to read some arcadian history and lore too.

To be fair in the stretch goal description, the books were “bought out of the city where they remain”. So maybe we’ll see them later…

Anyway, I’m not going to play until the game is finished. I’ve got to be strong.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I think the “collectable books” might be coming later on, when there’s actually a day time in Mercuria. It would make sense that book stores are open only by day. And not found from Europolis at all.

But anyhow, I just went through the second book, it took me all in all a bit over 7 hours, so from the looks of it the game might end up being over 20 hours. This was definetly a great episode. The story is really hitting on gears now and the choices and consequences look like they have actual meaning and effect on how the story unfolds. There also was a couple of puzzle there which made me quit the game for a while and ponder them when I was doing other stuff.

Some minor graphical glitches aside, a top notch continuation to a game that seems to be turning into a real epic. I think Telltale could take a couple of lessons from them, especially what comes to the effects of choises. There’s a lot of replay value here because of the different possibilities. I guess the big question here now is how much will they really effect on the ending. How many different variations will there be?

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

tomimt - 13 March 2015 01:00 PM

But anyhow, I just went through the second book, it took me all in all a bit over 7 hours, so from the looks of it the game might end up being over 20 hours.

Then you are faster than I am, this book took me about 9 hours (according to Steam), and I have already spend more than 20 hours totally in the game, though that includes a 2nd playthrough of Book One, so I would say that we are looking at 30-40 hours for the full game!

This was definetly a great episode. The story is really hitting on gears now and the choices and consequences look like they have actual meaning and effect on how the story unfolds. There also was a couple of puzzle there which made me quit the game for a while and ponder them when I was doing other stuff.

I agree, on all three points - Though I didn’t actually quit the game while pondering, which might explain why it took me longer.

I can’t help wondering if I really did the right thing, by giving the data to Baruti. But I guess a second playthrough might reveal that, though I suspect he is dead as a dodo either way.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’ve finished this episode, and, overall, I liked it.

I didn’t like the first part with Kian. It felt disappointing that the story was just more set-up, and the gameplay felt really lackluster—I was particularly annoyed when the game wanted me to pixel-hunt for a couple of random items to start a fire in a place where there were braziers and torches everywhere. I liked Enu (even though I know she’s a horrible cliché), I liked the Mole (even more so in her second appearance) and could have done with more shirtless Kian, but that was it (blue Oliver Twist can go blow his head off with one of his beloved fire crackers for all I care).

But then it got better when the game switched to Zoe. (However, I really, really hate Europolis. The moron who came up with the idea of blocking some streets at the start of the chapter needs to die a painful death; it took me literally 30 minutes to find my way to Zoe’s shrink’s office.) The activities and the story were a lot more interesting, and there were some attempts at actual puzzles.

And finally the story seems to be going somewhere, even though it has taken its sweet time. If I’m honest, I don’t really care about the random bunch of rebels in Marcuria, or about which corrupt politician will become mayor of some shitty megalopolis, so it’s good to see the game get to the interesting stuff. I wish there were a stronger connection between the two halves of the story. We all know it’s coming at some point; hopefully we won’t have to wait until episode 5 for it to happen.

So yeah, I (mostly) liked the episode, and I hope it won’t be too long until episode 3.

However, talking to the Mole reminded me of TLJ and how much I’d like that game to get a proper sequel. All the stuff about dreams and the Azadi and WATI and the prophet (we still all agree that he’s Brian Westhouse, right?) is fine, but I’d really love to get more stories about the Balance and the Draic Kin—and more Cortez, dammit!

Oh, and speaking of which, I was surprised at how sad it made me to learn that the Bandas had all been exterminated. They were silly, but I kinda liked the little guys, and it’s sad that their stories and culture are just gone. Cry

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Kurufinwe - 13 March 2015 07:24 PM

The moron who came up with the idea of blocking some streets at the start of the chapter needs to die a painful death; it took me literally 30 minutes to find my way to Zoe’s shrink’s office.) The activities and the story were a lot more interesting, and there were some attempts at actual puzzles.

well, i disagree ;i find Zoe’ long wandering through those enormous, huge places and location, is the most pleasant original-modern-puzzling-experience-of-adventure-gaming- evaluation that gave a true (a)live atmosphere to the game and play.
also provin’ a great dedication/effort being/been put into it ;a nice reward coming out from/for the fans pockets, (so far..) managed/handled very well.
‘Chapters’ seems like the best great model adventure came of kickstarters.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Some minor graphical glitches aside, a top notch continuation to a game that seems to be turning into a real epic. I think Telltale could take a couple of lessons from them, especially what comes to the effects of choises. There’s a lot of replay value here because of the different possibilities. I guess the big question here now is how much will they really effect on the ending. How many different variations will there be?

I have to agree. It’s a shame that this game’s ties to its predecessor limit its audience, because I think this is a great model for what a mainstream modern narrative adventure can be. It’s accessible and story-centric like recent Telltale games, but the huge environments, exploration, and inclusion of real puzzles and gameplay (even if they’re not especially hard) makes it much more engrossing, not to mention more of a game.

This seems to pull the best of both worlds, and I really prefer it when compared to Telltale or Quantic Dream stuff that feels almost like clicking through an animated comic book. It’s also a big improvement on the first Dreamfall and its needless combat and stealth, even if it shares some of its penchant for pointless fetch quests to fill time.

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2013-07-02

PM

I do actually think Marcuria was done rather well this time, although I would like to see it in the day! It was nice to visit familiar locations from TLJ and Dreamfall and had a big emphasis on exploring (again it would have been a lot better if there were little collectibles you could find on the way).

It would also help to have a character guide. I’m assuming the ‘first of the six’ was one of the girls Kian went to go see back in his homeland in Dreamfall? But who was Hami and “the mother”. Blahhhh.

I wish i could have gone inside the Journeyman inn Frown

Puzzles were fairly easy I guess although sometimes I did have to think about what I was doing. You certainly have to use more braincells than a Telltale game anyway.

Blind bob was sitting outside the tavern/inn ,i remember he asks for u to fetch him a bottle of fine grog before he’ll help u with something or other.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top