• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Blade Runner is being remastered

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

stroggoff - 25 June 2022 07:50 AM

Personally I am very disappointed about how GOG and Nightdive have handled this release, with the original page of the game gone completely

Sadly, that’s the M.O. of the game business.

There’s also no way to purchase Broken Sword, The Secret of Monkey Island, Simon the Sorcerer, Day of the Tentacle, and many other games in their original form.

At least with Blade Runner they seem to put the original as some kind of an extra, which is more than many other games have, including all those DoubleFine “remasters”.

Anyway, at least on Steam the feedback of this disaster seems to be mostly negative, so it will be interesting to see if this justified review bombing is getting any response from anyone. Probably not, but there’s always hope. Review bombing did make GOG to remove that one Hitman game from sale after all.

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

GateKeeper - 25 June 2022 11:10 AM

Personally I am very disappointed about how GOG and Nightdive have handled this release, with the original page of the game gone completely

Sadly, that’s the M.O. of the game business.

There’s also no way to purchase Broken Sword, The Secret of Monkey Island, Simon the Sorcerer, Day of the Tentacle, and many other games in their original form.

At least with Blade Runner they seem to put the original as some kind of an extra, which is more than many other games have, including all those DoubleFine “remasters”.

Anyway, at least on Steam the feedback of this disaster seems to be mostly negative, so it will be interesting to see if this justified review bombing is getting any response from anyone. Probably not, but there’s always hope. Review bombing did make GOG to remove that one Hitman game from sale after all.

The examples you gave there are a bit odd. The original version of Broken Sword and the later Director’s Cut are both published by Revolution Software (and the original release is free DLC with the DC on both GOG and Steam). With The Secret of Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle, the player can switch between the original game and the new game with the click of a button.

This is a different situation, as Nightdive Studio has basically released an ‘enhanced’ edition that is anything but. However, anyone who wants to play the original version will now be giving money to Nightdive for doing a terrible job. It isn’t illegal, but morally? It doesn’t sit right at all.

I hate the term ‘review bombing’ too, as it often implies people jumping on the bandwagon who haven’t played the game/watched the film etc. in question. I would say the poor reviews here are simply honest reviews… I’ve tried both the PS4 and PC versions of the Enhanced Edition, and it truly is awful. How they spent years making this baffles me.

I am the founder of Alternative Magazine Online - a UK website offering alternative views on films, games, books, music and more! I am also currently working with Revolution Software co-founder/programmer Tony Warriner on ‘Revolution: The Quest for Game Development Greatness’ - now live on Kickstarter!

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2004-01-17

PM

I am still frustrated that they ignored us completely in this process and they made a complete mess of a release of a much dear title to which I and all the rest of the ScummVM team devoted years working on.

Yeah, I can imagine how frustrating it must be. Thank you and the rest of the team for your work.

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

MartyMcFly - 25 June 2022 11:58 AM

The examples you gave there are a bit odd. The original version of Broken Sword and the later Director’s Cut are both published by Revolution Software (and the original release is free DLC with the DC on both GOG and Steam). With The Secret of Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle, the player can switch between the original game and the new game with the click of a button.

This is a different situation

No, it actually is the very same situation.
You can’t buy the original version, if you are “lucky”, some butchered editions offer it as a bonus.

DoubleFine remasters are really the worst in this regard, as they don’t even have that.
It’s not about watching some facsimile of those original pixels, you can watch a playthrough video on YouTube for those, it’s about getting the game as it was released originally.

There are a good number of reasons for wanting that, simply from the technological point of view, those “remasters” make system requirements jump from megabytes to gigabytes, which is hardly necessary for 20-30 year old games.

Nightdive Studio has basically released an ‘enhanced’ edition that is anything but. However, anyone who wants to play the original version will now be giving money to Nightdive for doing a terrible job. It isn’t illegal, but morally? It doesn’t sit right at all.

Yes, it’s disrespectful.
But in the end, it’s a shameless grave robbery, and that’s where it ends.

I would say that in some ways what for instance Revolution is doing is worse.
By forcing to buy the altered version, they force customers to send signals, which might further down the road affect the content of future Broken Sword sequels.

If a customer wants to support puzzle design as it was originally, instead of supporting all those added slider puzzles, there’s no way to do that.

I hate the term ‘review bombing’ too, as it often implies people jumping on the bandwagon who haven’t played the game/watched the film etc. in question. I would say the poor reviews here are simply honest reviews…

I quickly looked through them, and there were several that were missing “verified owner” tag. I don’t know if that gets removed when the product is refunded.

I’m sure all of them are honest in this case regardless, as there’s no real agenda targeted against some person or company for reasons not related to the game release.

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2005-06-14

PM

GateKeeper - 26 June 2022 06:36 AM

This is a different situation

No, it actually is the very same situation.
You can’t buy the original version, if you are “lucky”, some butchered editions offer it as a bonus.

DoubleFine remasters are really the worst in this regard, as they don’t even have that.
It’s not about watching some facsimile of those original pixels, you can watch a playthrough video on YouTube for those, it’s about getting the game as it was released originally.

There are a good number of reasons for wanting that, simply from the technological point of view, those “remasters” make system requirements jump from megabytes to gigabytes, which is hardly necessary for 20-30 year old games.

Nightdive Studio has basically released an ‘enhanced’ edition that is anything but. However, anyone who wants to play the original version will now be giving money to Nightdive for doing a terrible job. It isn’t illegal, but morally? It doesn’t sit right at all.

Yes, it’s disrespectful.
But in the end, it’s a shameless grave robbery, and that’s where it ends.

I would say that in some ways what for instance Revolution is doing is worse.
By forcing to buy the altered version, they force customers to send signals, which might further down the road affect the content of future Broken Sword sequels.

If a customer wants to support puzzle design as it was originally, instead of supporting all those added slider puzzles, there’s no way to do that.

I hate the term ‘review bombing’ too, as it often implies people jumping on the bandwagon who haven’t played the game/watched the film etc. in question. I would say the poor reviews here are simply honest reviews…

I quickly looked through them, and there were several that were missing “verified owner” tag. I don’t know if that gets removed when the product is refunded.

I’m sure all of them are honest in this case regardless, as there’s no real agenda targeted against some person or company for reasons not related to the game release.

What’s wrong with the DoubleFine remasters?

I played them in their original form on PC and got the remasters for PS4 and they seem good to me.

He gave me a cold, shocked stare as if I’d farted at a funeral.

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

Games related they add nothing relevant to the table. Here and there I liked the dev commentary though. In the originals things work together nicely and they’re smaller, less demanding. The most reasonable remaster might be Grim Fandango, if you’re after p&c, shadows and a mixture of high- and lowres-graphics. I would have favored a new adventure instead of the remasters.

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

My faith in whining and complaining has been restored.

GOG has made the original, non-enhanced version available again.

Of course they still seem to punish people for wanting that though, as the original game is more expensive than enhanced edition which also includes the original game!  Gasp

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2022-03-27

PM

Just wanted to let you guys know that the original scummvm version of the blade runner game is back up on GOG. It was briefly taken down after the remaster was released but GOG has recently put it back on the their website.

https://www.gog.com/en/game/blade_runner

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i said it, it was always gonna be better to play the original even on the ‘remastered’ release day

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Sadly enough, this particular remaster had all the wrong signs in the air from the get-go. I take it all started to go wrong for them when they couldn’t use the massive work that had already been done for ScummVM and they severely underestimated how hard it would be to get the game working correctly on their own KEX engine.

Then, when you lay on top of it the relatively poorly done upscaling amongst other issues, you kind of get a winning combination of disasters. I’m guessing, they kind of felt they had to deliver the upscaling as they had promised it instead of scrapping it after they got the initial reactions. And they probably felt, rightfully so, that doing just the same kind of version to what ScummVM already does better, wasn’t enough.

But what really is the icing on the cake is the new menu system, or at least the super ugly, bare-bones, main menu, that looks like it was slapped together as the last touch a couple of minutes before the launch. I doubt anyone would have been baffled by how the menu works in the original game, not even on the consoles.

Overall, I have a feeling that Nighdives Blade Runner remaster was done with a rather inexperienced team.

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2004-01-17

PM

There’s been an update from Nightdive about patch 1 and what they plan to do next:

Hello everyone,

We have our first patch ready, and available to download now for Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition. The patch contains the following fixes and improvements:

-Added missing audio and text localization (video localization to come in a later patch). Set your language in the Game Options
-Added missing subtitle credits
-Fixed possible deadlocks and memory leaks
-Fixed various menus not responding to resolution changes
-Fixed menu sliders sound loop when dragged with the mouse
-Fixed Borderless Window setting on PC not sticking
-Added Game Option to disable widescreen borders
-Added Game Option to change in-game brightness
-Fixed McCoy not being able to walk freely in certain rooms (eg. Outside Runciter’s)
-Fixed subtitles not displaying during outtakes
-Fixed outtakes not playing at 60fps
-Fixed fog not rendering correctly in certain rooms (eg. Chinatown)
-Fixed McCoy clipping into vehicles in RC03
-Fixed green flicker during transitions
-Fixed items not displaying after loading a savegame
-Fixed Esper crash when zooming out via the preview thumbnail
-Fixed various KIA issues
-It used to be difficult to tell which page you were on in the kia, now the currently selected kia page should be called out in the top row of buttons.
-The kia “cursor hover” state was not different enough for you to tell where your cursor was, now there’s been an additional pass on it to make it much more obvious.
-Individual clue privacy when using the kia privacy addon was not obvious, now every private clue has a unique icon next to it, along with a background highlight.
-Enhanced graphics for KIA upgrade and suspect silhouettes
-Keyboard shortcuts can no longer open the KIA during cutscenes
-Fixed incorrect colors in localized subtitles
-Fixed subtitles changing interface language
-Fixed audio volume changing during scene transitions
-Player personality (conversation choices) can be changed ingame
-Difficulty achievements are retroactive.

Thanks for being patient with us while we deal with these issues. We’d also like to share what we have planned for the next patch:

-A toggle between the original and our Enhanced Edition videos,
-Video localization for the intro, and outtakes,
-Improvements to the User Interface and Menus,
-Improvements to make longer KIA clues legible
-Improvements to the controls, making them more obvious and consistent across the game
-Improvements to pathfinding
-Improvements to the Police Maze

We hope you enjoy the update, and our sneak peak into what’s to come. Thank you.

Daniel G.
Nightdive Studios

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

why has the game hasn’t been taken care of before the release, what was happening with its publishing urgency, and who was behind that urgency?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top