• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Blade Runner is being remastered

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

What makes me very wary about this ‘Enhanced Edition’ is that we are only now starting to see video footage of actual gameplay, mere days before it releases. The videos/screenshots popping up on the various online stores (PlayStation, Xbox, Steam) seem to show the same old pixelated character models, which was the part of the original most desperately in need of an overhaul (voxels be damned). Blade Runner will always be a beautiful game, but is this really a vast improvement over the original version currently available on GOG for £7.99?

I am the founder of Alternative Magazine Online - a UK website offering alternative views on films, games, books, music and more! I am also currently working with Revolution Software co-founder/programmer Tony Warriner on ‘Revolution: The Quest for Game Development Greatness’ - now live on Kickstarter!

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

To me, it does seem like this won’t be much of a big improvement for PC players, but it does bring the game to consoles as well and I’m all for that. Blade Runner is a great game and hopefully, a bigger audience gets to play it this way.

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

tomimt - 22 June 2022 09:32 AM

To me, it does seem like this won’t be much of a big improvement for PC players, but it does bring the game to consoles as well and I’m all for that. Blade Runner is a great game and hopefully, a bigger audience gets to play it this way.

Very true - I forgot that this will be the first time many people have played the game. I just hope modern console gamers aren’t put off too much by any inherent creakiness (or the 4:3 image, for that matter!).

The guy who voices Ray McCoy wrote a really entertaining guest post on my website over a decade ago. It’s a shame that Nightdive Studios didn’t get him back to do a director’s commentary (along with some of his fellow voice actors and the original devs) as I think it would have been excellent!

I am the founder of Alternative Magazine Online - a UK website offering alternative views on films, games, books, music and more! I am also currently working with Revolution Software co-founder/programmer Tony Warriner on ‘Revolution: The Quest for Game Development Greatness’ - now live on Kickstarter!

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Just great,there are about 9 gb of upscaled fmv but no subtitles available.

Turns out scummvm version more enhanced (for me),stretched mode and subtitled cut scenes only enough.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2004-01-17

PM

It has subtitles for me? But I played this a bit today, and yeah it’s bad. Buggy and the worst part of the upscaling is the motion interpolation. It’s inconsistent and has lots of smearing. Some camera cuts even look like a bad 90s morph effect. Stick with the GOG ScummVM version.

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

Following on from my previous post… yeah, the Enhanced Edition is anything but.

Rock Paper Shotgun has posted some comparison screenshots here.

And I have posted a video and some additional screenshots (along with my own thoughts) here.

What a disappointment.

Total Posts: 91

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

The original version that GOG now includes with the Enhanced Edition, was running with ScummVM, and it did include subtitles support.

Subtitles have to be downloaded from the ScummVM site separately—and we were missing German and Italian transcripts, but English, French and Spanish are all of really good quality, if I may say so Smile—I am involved in the English transcript, the subtitle component for the engine code and the subtitle tools for other translators to use.

Two things to note here:
The Enhanced Edition uses our subtitles, crediting the people who worked on them (as far as I know, currently their credits are incomplete but hopefully that will be amended with a patch soon!). In return Nightdive offered us (ie. ScummVM) the subtitles for German and Italian that we were missing. It may be a bit tricky to integrate them quickly to our subtitles bundle, though since they seem to have followed a somewhat different process for them, than we did.

My second note would be to please use a recent version of ScummVM—I would recommend the current Release Candidate for 2.6.0—when playing the original Blade Runner version. GOG bundles the game with a ScummVM build that’s now almost three years old. We’ve since fixed more bugs and restored more content (for the restored content mode). The restored content mode is still not finished (too many tasks not enough time!) but we’re still working on it.

Joined 2004-01-17

PM

tomimt - 21 June 2022 03:41 AM

What they can do, realistically, as they’ve shifted this into a new engine, is to try to improve how scene lights affect the character’s appearance. There are many places in the game, where the characters just are on there and receive no light from the scene, making them stand out even more.

So ironically the opposite has happened. The “Enhanced Edition” has significantly LESS interactive lighting than the original.

ScummVM:

Enhanced Edition:

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Yeah, it seems Nightdive has managed to miss implementing the scene volumetric effects. I can’t say if that’s a bug or not, but it does seem that all that could have gone wrong with this remaster did go wrong.

Total Posts: 410

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Disgusting.  Do not support this game by paying for it.  Just play it through ScummVM.  These jokers do not deserve our money and to be encouraged to churn out lazy efforts like this.  Enhanced?  Dehanced, more like!  They chucked a tub of Vaseline over the game and called it a day.  Outrageous.  2 years they spent on this “remaster”!  Two damn years.  What was all that BS talk of rebuilding the character models and whatnot.  What a joke.  I’m starting to get worried about my pre-order for the System Shock remake now, if this is the standard of their work.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It’s incredible how amateurish this remaster comes out as. The new main menu is a good example of that, as it comes out as something of an unimaginative solution, that was slapped in by an unpaid intern an hour before release. It feels so out of place from the rest of the game.

Also, the much-lauded 60 fps interpolation for the cinematics doesn’t seem to work, at least for me, the opening movie is very, very choppy and not at all as the store videos show. For example, the opening text crawl doesn’t flow smoothly but seems to jump several pixels at a time.

During the photo enhancements, the zooming in for enhancable bits of the photo makes the transition ripple like it’s underwater.

It seems to me, that they’ve used completely unsuitable AI models with the upscaled graphics. They’ve removed details, smoothed out surfaces and even blurred some things that should not be blurred. All in all, at this moment, this is the worst way to experience Blade Runner.

Joined 2004-01-17

PM

It’s crazy because Nightdive has done some excellent work in the past, which is why I was starting to defend them before this came out. But something went really wrong here. And it’s totally unnecessary. They’ve released plenty of old adventure games on Steam with original graphics, just tweaked to run on modern hardware (even sometimes after GOG beat them to the punch). That’s what should have been done, and it would have been easier.

Joined 2004-01-17

PM

Here’s a clip from the intro slowed down to 10% to show the motion smearing and ridiculous “morph” on camera cuts:

Reminds me of this…

Joined 2004-01-17

PM

They’re including the ScummVM version now with the EE. That’s good, but to quote Phantom Menace, “is that legal?”

Hello everyone,

The original Blade Runner, titled Blade Runner Classic, is now available to play with the Enhanced Edition. The free update will be downloaded automatically and when you start Blade Runner through Steam, you’ll be given a choice of launching the Enhanced Edition, or the Classic version.

There is also an option to play Blade Runner with some restored content that was left unused from the original game.

Both of these classic versions are powered by the ScummVM project. You can check out their website here - https://www.scummvm.org/

English, French, Italian, German and Spanish languages are included. You can right-click on the game, go to its properties, and in the Language section, you can choose the language you want to play. Changing language this way will not affect the Enhanced Edition’s selected language.

Please restart Steam to get the update.

We are looking at all your feedback for the game, and we’re still working on our first official patch for the game which will be coming as soon as we can.

Thanks for your support. We hope you enjoy the update.

Daniel G.
Nightdive Studios

Total Posts: 91

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

Snatcher42 - 24 June 2022 11:29 PM

They’re including the ScummVM version now with the EE. That’s good, but to quote Phantom Menace, “is that legal?”

It is legal, as long as they respect the GPL license and ship the source code too, which they do, as far as I can tell.

Personally I am very disappointed about how GOG and Nightdive have handled this release, with the original page of the game gone completely, losing the 4.7 out of 5 positive reviews forever, the “powered by ScummVM” note, and the additional info on the rest of extras one would get by purchasing the game (including high quality scans of the manuals that I and a fellow ScummVM team member provided). And then, on Steam, the classic version powered by ScummVM gets released (respecting the GPL) overnight (at least it was night where I live Tongue), and I don’t think I’m overstating things when I write that it’s going to be the one redeeming thing about the disastrous PC release of the Enhanced Edition.

As far as I know, no one reached out to ScummVM about any of this, and there’s no longer any note “powered by ScummVM” on the store pages referring to how the classic version of the game is ran.

Legally, they can do that, of course. And they do not have to reach out. I am still frustrated that they ignored us completely in this process and they made a complete mess of a release of a much dear title to which I and all the rest of the ScummVM team devoted years working on.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top