• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough 49 Post Mortem

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

...or, if you look at post #28, you’ll see the easiest way to get invited up to room 505, but it requires a specific conversation path the first time you talk to the hotel clerk. Once in there, you can use whichever means you have tools for to enter 507.  Laughing

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

We are long past that option.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The lock pick puzzles is quite difficult. So I also vote to go the room 507 route. It should be the most expedient.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I used the lock picks on Room 507. This is a “brute force” kind of puzzle. I would suggest looking at a WT. Not to find the solution, but to understand the puzzle’s mechanics because the puzzle doesn’t really tell you what to do or what the pick movements indicate. I have a BIG clue which I partially forgot about. It will help solve the puzzle. I’ll post it if anyone posts that they are stuck.

I found three things inside 507. Two things that went into inventory and one that was an observation. BTW, you can enter 505 via the connecting door, but I couldn’t find anything in that room.

Also, I said you could enter Hellouin’s door using a hammer that has magically appeared next to the toolbox in the lobby. Well I went downstairs and that item was not there. So I did some touring. I think you need to go back to the Alembic and ask Hulot if he has any more lock picks. Then go to Hellouin’s office to note that you need to find another way in. I went everywhere else too, but I think those are the two triggers that make the item appear because it was there when I returned to the hotel.

So now I’ll wait for Friday.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

That is how I got in the room too. I am actually still enjoying the game, the character interaction is still interesting and the puzzles, while sometimes hard, were different so far.

So, still liking the game, and I am going a different route from the first time I played it so it seems quite fresh.

Since I am at the checkpoint of entering 507 and exploring the room I also will stop here.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

So, I’ve done both routes.

Getting the hotel manager to take you upstairs to room 505 where you can use the newspaper and talisman to get the key and NOT getting him to take you there.

Pissing him off is a lot harder, because you have to go through a lot of hoops to get into room 507, while the other way gets you in immediately.

I used the UHS to know there were five differences in the paintings. Found them all without additional help, though.

I had to check the UHS solution for the mugshot puzzle as well. The game is ridiculously finicky. All that was wrong, were the ears. I had to look three times just to see the difference! But that basically means the difference between “Never seen that guy before.” and “That’s him!!!”. Gasp

Also, the lockpick puzzle is indeed very hard. Luckily you’re given some small hints.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TimovieMan - 24 October 2018 05:07 PM

Also, the lockpick puzzle is indeed very hard. Luckily you’re given some small hints.

In a small way it reminded me of the Master Mind puzzle in Shivers. The ““Not in right place,” “In right place, but wrong position,” “In right place, and in right position” options were similar. Fortunately we weren’t given the constraint of solving it in eight moves. It’s still a brute force puzzle. In the casual arena I would call this tedious. But seeing as there’s no Skip button, you have no choice by to work your way through it. My BIG hint was that you only use four of the five picks. I don’t know how the UHS hint system handled that.

I’m using a WT from “The Walkthrough King.” I like it because it doesn’t have any graphics, only text. That way I won’t be tempted to take a peek at a solution.

@MikeKelly Do you have a current tally of who is still playing and where they are in the game?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Many people have contacted me and said they are ready to move on with the game.

Therefore, you have until next Friday to reach Chez Alexandre Restaurant. Stop there.

As usual, post your opinions (good or bad) about the game as you play. So far to me it’s not the best adventure game I have ever played but not the worst either. Kinda fun really. For a game released in 2002 it seems pretty good to me.

Heart

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

And I’m off to play as Hellouin for a while.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I’m way beyond that point already because I couldn’t help myself.  Tongue

A couple of the puzzles are absolutely ludicrous (we’ve already played one of them) but I’m really enjoying the story.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Good to hear that someone is enjoying the game! Sure, the game has faults, but it is pretty perfect for Halloween!

The game is strange, but strange in a good way.

So, keep the posts about the game (good or bad) coming!

Heart

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Finally got around to playing. I’ve managed to get caught up, or at least in the general area as the rest of you, even though my path choices have been a bit of a mix of all possible routes.

I must say this is not as bad as I was expecting. The dialogue doesn’t always make sense, especially if you don’t choose them in the ‘expected’ order. And yes a couple of the puzzles have been ridiculous, had to resort to a walkthrough. But the story, at least for me, is quite intriguing and has kept me interested enough that I’m actually looking forward to see how it ends. Smile

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ve been wandering around as Hellouin, Been to the Eaton’s apartment, and picked up some information there. Been back to the Alembic. Berenice tells me that Hulot is at a fancy restaurant, which I’m guessing is the restaurant we need to get to by this Thursday. Been to the Brotherhood, but can’t get in. Been to the Dr’s office and got some more information about the Eatons and the Brotherhood. Think I know what things I need to do in order to make some actual progress as opposed to simple fact gathering.

Side note: I know we’re not on the Champs Elysee, but nobody has commented on how seedy and run-down the locations are. Even the Hotel Orfee, which is supposed to be in the self-described “chic” area of Paris, is little more than a dive. Connecting rooms and a bathroom with no tub or shower does not exactly scream Ritz! The Eatons, who are/were preparing to pull off the “Scam of the Century,” are living in a boarding house where the only running water is at the sink. I presume the bathroom is a communal one somewhere down the hall. Not sure if this plays into the plot, or if this is what Sokol thought Paris should look like in the 1950’s.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I think it’s set in the ‘20s which might explain some of those things.

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

I’ve now continued with the game. I needed a picture of the correct solution to get past the portrait sketching puzzle. The idea of the puzzle is great in a detective game - the implementation is lacking, unfortunately. The descriptions from the witnesses are too vague, with not enough clear feedback when you are trying to sketch the portrait. Did anyone manage to solve this without looking up the solution?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top