• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceandiegoIronCretinJdawg445TimovieMan

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough 49 Post Mortem

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Do the mugshot puzzle, finish the picture puzzle then stop. Both are very difficult.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I went a little bit further than that but close enough.

I found the picture puzzle easy enough apart from having to move the hotspots around a bit to satisfy Hulot/the pernickety engine.  The mugshot I cheated on and actually laughed when I saw the solution vs what I had been trying.  Anyone who got it without cheating (even by brute-forcing) should get a free tshirt. Wink

I’m enjoying lots about the game although I believe there are more infamous puzzles to come!

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Apparently, despite the best intentions and my own warning, I took the wrong track in my conversation with the clerk. Whenever I do a close-up on the keyhole the lock pick set automatically comes out of inventory and onto the screen. That appears to be the only way to enter the room. I hated the lock-pick puzzle when I first played the game, even when it was at another location. I have spoken with the Psychologist, but haven’t completed the mug shot portrait. I remember talking with the bartender, and recall him asking whether I could sketch a portrait of the guy sitting by the window. I didn’t immediately follow up on it. Now the bartender is unresponsive. Not sure what to do in this situation.

Bottom line: I still need to enter the murder scene, and I still need to complete the mug shot. I know what I need to do for the first puzzle. Not sure what I need to do for the second.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I recommend just looking at a walkthrough for the mugshot.  It’s absurdly difficult (in my opinion).

I don’t think you need to pick any locks at this point but maybe we’re supposed to continue on now? 

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

dumbeur - 20 October 2018 07:56 PM

I don’t think you need to pick any locks at this point but maybe we’re supposed to continue on now?

There are two ways to enter the murder scene. I remember the first way, which is the “newspaper/pointy thing” way and there is the lock pick way. Which way you end up with is decided by your first conversation with the concierge/clerk. If you end up using the newspaper, you will need to use the lock pick in a later puzzle and vice-versa.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Since I wasn’t told where to stop, I kept playing until I reached the alchemy puzzle - not much happens before anyway. Now I remember why I hated the game so much, yuck. It was getting duller and duller, and by this point I have lost all interest in it, and to waste my time on stupid and out-of-place puzzles… Think I’ll just watch a youtube playthrough to see how it ends and delete the game. Sorry everyone. I’m also not participating in a Still Life playthrough if there is any.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Everyone. Just STOP when you complete the picture puzzle at the Alambic Bistro. When everyone that wants to play this game has completed it to that point. I will post the next checkpoint location to stop at.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The lock picking tools are one time use only and will disappear in the inventory after being used. The choice is whether to use it on room 507 or Hellouin’s Ofiice.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Mikekelly - 21 October 2018 02:25 PM

The lock picking tools are one time use only and will disappear in the inventory after being used. The choice is whether to use it on room 507 or Hellouin’s Ofiice.

We’re not saying something different. I simply said if you don’t use the lock picks on room 507, you will use them later. My problem is that I’m not being offered a choice. If I go to a close up of the lock on room 507, the lock picks are already up on the screen.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

rtrooney, have you spoken to Mrs. Loiseau yet? She has the other item that can open the door to 507, from inside 505. Maybe even from the hall…I’m not sure.

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Yes. I have the artifact that Ms Loiseau gave me. Think I am going to watch a video of this sequence to try and understand what I’m doing wrong. Also will take Dumeur’s advice to check a walkthrough for the mug shot solution. Although I’m not sure what that gets me.

@MikeKelly There’s no sense in stopping after we’ve solved the picture differences puzzle at the Alembic. I think we’ve all done that. The real stopping point needs to be once everyone has managed to enter and explore room 507.

Edit: If I am the only player who hasn’t entered room 507, post the next destination and I’ll try to catch up.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Sold, everyone, let’s all enter and explore room 507. Let’s all get this done by Friday. Then I will post the next checkpoint.

This game does have an amazing ending, so let’s all enjoy the ride getting there as much as we can.

Heart

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I used a WT to get the mug shot. That opened up quite a few new discussions. Also a few new locations. I’ve been to Helloin’s office, and that poses the problem that MikeKelly posed earlier. I.e. do you use the lock pick on Helloin’s office door, or on room 507? Personally, I would rather save the lock pick for Helloin’s door. But that means we need another way to get into 507. I remember when I played it before and I went into room 505, and got the key to 507 by using the old newspaper trick. Which means that I need to find a way to get into 505.

The two logical suspects are 1) getting a key from the clerk or 2) getting a key from the service cart in the hallway. I’ve not found a way to get either of those to work. I’m open to suggestions.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

rtrooney - 22 October 2018 03:34 PM

The two logical suspects are 1) getting a key from the clerk or 2) getting a key from the service cart in the hallway. I’ve not found a way to get either of those to work. I’m open to suggestions.

I couldn’t find any logic in this puzzle. A few posts ago you mentioned you got something from Ms. Loiseau…

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I finally found the “logic.” And it isn’t particularly logical.

If you use the lock picks on Hellouin’s (sp?) door, the door to room 505 will magically become unlocked so you can just walk in. do the newspaper thing on the connecting door and get the key to 507.

If you use the lock picks on door 507, a hammer will magically appear atop the toolbox in the lobby. And you will use it to enter Hellouin’s office..

And if, for whatever reason, you didn’t get the artifact from Loiseau, a pencil will magically appear at the front desk, and it will serve the same purpose as the artifact.

In other words, there is no key to room 505.

It’s nice that the game offers you two options. But it’s very confusing. I leave it up to MikeKelly and the group to decide which way should be the suggested path. I say that because, while we will all end up in the same place at the end, the game will take us on different paths depending on where you use the lock picks

I remember the pick puzzles being quite difficult. So my vote is to go the room 507 route. (I know that is the opposite of what I said a few posts ago.) But it seems to be the most expedient, and should get us all in the same place by the Friday deadline.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top