• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough 49 Post Mortem

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 24 November 2018 07:05 PM

I’m not sure what you mean by the “cipher book” puzzle. If it’s the puzzle where you decode the four column/numerical puzzles, it’s a bitch! It’s one of those puzzle types where you either get it when you first look at it, or you’re never going to get it. I got it. But only because that type of puzzle, although much simpler, is a common staple in casual games.

Nah, I got that puzzle.

I’m talking about the book with the dials in that same room.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 512

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Never participated in these AGCPs but maybe I will some day. This game must have been perfect for it. I remember constantly getting angry with the developer when I played it a long time ago. So many things that should have been corrected during the beta stage if not sooner. Some really unfair puzzles and giant leaps in logic that I would have wanted to discuss with fellow adventure gamers at the time. Some good ideas horribly executed. A potentially interesting story destroyed by bad game design.

Enjoyed Still Life and Still Life 2 so much more (contary to most people I actually think Still Life 2 is a good game).

Edit: English is not my first language so I have to ask if the way the main protagonist talks in Post Mortem is meant to sound authentic for the early 1900’s? The complicated and strange way the actor delivers his lines in the game really bothered me. A case of badly translated dialog, no?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

He sounded OK to me, in line with the time period of the game.

Yea, an OK game that could have been better, but I liked some characters and the story was interesting to me.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

Finally I completed the game, with liberal use of UHS hints.

My thoughts: story is decent, atmosphere is good, there are some good puzzles. But the game is severely let down by the user interface, some puzzles that are impossible without a walkthrough, and weird dialogue. I think I must agree with the review on Adventure Gamers -

“Underwhelming. The elements of a good game are here, and I have no doubt Microids is capable of so much more.”

The game is ok if you paid only one dollar for it and have a walkthrough or hints at the ready. It must have been rather infuriating to play at full price…

I did like the alchemy puzzle. All information you needed was available in or near the same location. On the other hand the fresco puzzle was another good idea let down by the execution (extreme pixel hunting in this case), like the portrait puzzle earlier in the game.

I thought the resolution to the story was fine. It was a shame I could not get Hellouin out of prison before the end of the game because of one “wrong” dialogue choice when talking to Lebrun, but I imagine he will have been released after Kaufman’s arrest.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Yea, I have to agree, far from a perfect game. However, I would say for when the game was released it was a better than average release for TAC. I paid full price for many of their games that were much worse than this one.

Today, many games have the walkthrough built in which is the best way to go.

If this game was remastered on IOS with a built in hint system I would buy it.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top