• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Moebius

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

Castledoque - 21 April 2014 03:44 PM

Yes, but this is sort of like breaking the game, like many people do with grinding in RPGs to make fights easier. It ruins the gameplay and it is not the way it is meant to be played. In most cases the deduction was really fun and felt like detective work on the characters based on their behavior patterns. In most cases the right answers can be reached by combining Malachi’s observations. What would make more sense as the right answer for each observation, when we take into consideration the general direction of all observations? When played this way, the mechanic is fun and it very successfully puts you in the uncomfortable shoes of Malachi.

You can’t blame the player for not thinking in one specific way.

Take for example the teenager in the park: Malachi deduced that she was poor because she was wearing ‘threadbare clothes’ and listening to an outdated CD player. The fact is, those are both groundless assumptions made simply because we need her to be poor in order to bargain with her - it’s just as likely that she was a hipster, fond of ‘thrift store chic’ and ‘retro gadgets’ - especially given that the character model doesn’t look impoverished and her clothes appear quite trendy.

You reach the answer, but it’s not much of an achievement when the other solutions are just as - if not more - viable. Were the mechanic developed in some way, to make Malachi’s deduction’s more specific and concrete, the gameplay would doubtlessly have been more satisfying.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Castledoque - 21 April 2014 03:44 PM
noknowncure - 21 April 2014 03:26 PM

someone else said it best when they pointed out that they found themselves reverse engineering the problem; deciding what the outcome needed to be to progress the story and then choosing the options based on what would achieve that result.

Yes, but this is sort of like breaking the game, like many people do with grinding in RPGs to make fights easier. It ruins the gameplay and it is not the way it is meant to be played…

The difference is that you can chose not to do any grinding in RPG’s, but you can’t shut down half of your brain and ignore simple facts in order to solve a puzzle “the way it was meant to”, especially not when it is staring you right in the face, like ”... perhaps she prefers blondes.”

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

noknowncure - 21 April 2014 10:50 AM
Oscar - 21 April 2014 10:45 AM

I didn’t see any issues in the modelling. The characters don’t look 100% lifelike but neither did Guybrush in Curse. I’ve heard criticism of his shoulders and arms but that’s how they wanted him to look, it was a stylistic choice.

It was a curious ‘stylistic choice’, considering we’re repeatedly told how devastatingly handsome he is, despite his hunchback, skinny arms and almost alien physique.

Certainly odd enough to make me seriously question whether it was in fact a stylistic choice and not just ineptitude being retroactively argued as a legitimate choice.

Malachi’s character model looked to me like it might have started out as a stylized 2D model. It reminded me of the stylized figures I’ve seen in some graphic novels. A stylized 2D model might have fit into a stylized 2D world. But if Malachi was originally a 2D model, his stylized 2D look didn’t translate well to 3D.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Gabe - 21 April 2014 09:52 AM

Chrissie, you’re the J.Jensen,right?

No way Gabe! - I wouldn’t be coming anywhere near this thread if I was! Laughing

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

Checked the Pinkerton Road forums - of all places - for the first time and, to my surprise and childish delight, found a thread of people discussing Malachi’s voice acting, with several posters expressing similar concerns to my own regarding his attempted accent. We are legion!!!

There are dozens of us! Dozens!

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

noknowncure - 21 April 2014 10:41 PM

Checked the Pinkerton Road forums - of all places - for the first time and, to my surprise and childish delight, found a thread of people discussing Malachi’s voice acting, with several posters expressing similar concerns to my own regarding his attempted accent. We are legion!!!

http://www.sadtrombone.com/

Bt

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

crabapple - 21 April 2014 05:48 PM

Malachi’s character model looked to me like it might have started out as a stylized 2D model. It reminded me of the stylized figures I’ve seen in some graphic novels. A stylized 2D model might have fit into a stylized 2D world. But if Malachi was originally a 2D model, his stylized 2D look didn’t translate well to 3D.

On the original Kickstarter Jensen initially advertised Moebius as a 2D adventure game, so it’s probable that was what Malachi started out as.  Even though I like Phoenix Online Studios, I wasn’t thrilled that the game went from the advertised 2D to 2.5D once they took over development.

Overall, I think even with the problems, the game is a decent game, it’s just not on the level of Jensen’s previous efforts at least with this first entry in the series, which is causing some backlash due to the disappointment factor of not living up to the hype.

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

Malachi is:

1) Contemptuous of most other people, male or female. A person who is contemptuous is easy to hold in contempt.

2) Pretty much always correct, even when speaking without, or against, the evidence. Dead ends can be entirely blamed on bungling superiors. Wouldn’t it have been a stronger story if Malachi himself had chosen the most likely candidates for Superwife the Human MacGuffin, and been forced to rethink his ideas?

3) Almost never subjected to consequences, even when they’d be expected. He gets beaten up early on, and that’s about it!

4) Witless in conversation. What are the top three most clever or quotable things he says? If we’re going to play an intellectual bully, he should at least be good at it.

His only redeeming feature is his love. Not his love for Walker, which was unbelievable, or even his love for himself, but his tremendous passion for antiquities. He honestly cares about objects. This is hard to portray well, and JJ deserves credit for that at least. The main reason I didn’t quit early was because there seemed to be ONE honest romance being told here, between Kye and interesting objects, until the Möbius theory distracted us from the best part of the game.

Malachi could have been an antihero on his own terms, but he wasn’t allowed to be. Instead, he’s the pawn of a conspiracy so shadowy as to be totally colorless.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

About the ending: Helene is pregnant of the French president (loool) but is now joining with US president candidate (because… reasons)? I wish there would have just put a cutscene with Helene calling FITA and the others sick crazy people

The gossip magazines are going to have a good day Smile

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

wilco - 22 April 2014 11:15 AM

About the ending: Helene is pregnant of the French president (loool) but is now joining with US president candidate (because… reasons)? I wish there would have just put a cutscene with Helene calling FITA and the others sick crazy people

The gossip magazines are going to have a good day Smile

Helene was due to attend a function where she would have met him anyway which was why she was kidnapped! The US president (candidate] already knew (via FITA) that was the woman he needed to marry to succeed which is why he went to meet her!

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

chrissie - 22 April 2014 12:38 PM

Helene was due to attend a function where she would have met him anyway which was why she was kidnapped! The US president (candidate] already knew (via FITA) that was the woman he needed to marry to succeed which is why he went to meet her!

I was just picturing the awkward conversation they’ll have in the helicopter when she finds out why she was captured  Laughing

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2006-06-01

PM

chrissie - 22 April 2014 12:38 PM

Are you sure that Markhan needed his very own Drusilla to succed as a US president?
This is what Dexter wants Rector to belief. Perhaps Dexter beliefs it himself. But the “Kingmaker” Carter has a very different approach on Moebius and wants his own daughter to marry Markham. So perhaps marrying Drusilla isn’t the crucial point.

After playing the game, I read once more the comic Intro. It is very interesting that it starts with Rectors blood beeing tested (why is this important?). Than his IQ found out. The next thing: his mother is killed by a lion while she meets with her lover.
At the bottom of the pictures we see a few a data analysis. After the lion attack the statement ” Flagged : Code Red”.
Looks to me like the boy has been singled out because of his biology and than he has been observed and manipulated.
Remmeber Dexter saying that Rector would have taken a very different path if not for his experiences in the past - especially with his mother in his childhood. He could also be a biologist and would then not become a Savant.
Who was manipulating Rector? What was his goal? And is Dexter involved? He seems to be more interested in Rector than in Drusilla.
So Dexters own goals are still in the dark.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Are you sure that Markhan needed his very own Drusilla to succed as a US president?
This is what Dexter wants Rector to belief. Perhaps Dexter beliefs it himself. But the “Kingmaker” Carter has a very different approach on Moebius and wants his own daughter to marry Markham. So perhaps marrying Drusilla isn’t the crucial point.

I was sure on the 1st question but now you’ve made me think - I can’t answer that but would I glean more by replaying?

seagul - 22 April 2014 01:11 PM

After playing the game, I read once more the comic Intro. It is very interesting that [spoiler]it starts with Rectors blood being tested (why is this important?). Than his IQ found out. The next thing: his mother is killed by a lion while she meets with her lover.
At the bottom of the pictures we see a few a data analysis. After the lion attack the statement ” Flagged : Code Red”.
Looks to me like the boy has been singled out because of his biology and than he has been observed and manipulated.
Remmeber Dexter saying that Rector would have taken a very different path if not for his experiences in the past - especially with his mother in his childhood. He could also be a biologist and would then not become a Savant.

[/spoiler]

I can’t think why Malachi’s blood would be tested unless maybe to see what blood group it was? & I can’t remember now how his IQ was established? I’ll have to play that intro again as I can see that there is something that ties up with that analysis in the beginning & the “Secured: Code Red” at the end!

So, Malachi’s already been singled out for some reason - exceptional IQ? - it does then make you wonder from Dexter’s comments whether the lion incidence was accidental?

seagul - 22 April 2014 01:11 PM

Who was manipulating Rector? What was his goal? And is Dexter involved? He seems to be more interested in Rector than in Drusilla.
So Dexters own goals are still in the dark.

Thank you seagul for some very observant & thought provoking questions!  Smile - I don’t think some of the answers (if any) are in this game & are intended to be revealed within a sequel? which I sincerely hope happens! I truly believe there is so much more to Moebius than a lot of players are seeing at present!

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

noknowncure - 21 April 2014 10:41 PM

There are dozens of us! Dozens!

Where?

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2006-06-01

PM

chrissie - 22 April 2014 02:03 PM

I truly believe there is so much more to Moebius than a lot of players are seeing at present!

Yes, that’s my impression, too.

chrissie - 22 April 2014 02:03 PM

I don’t think some of the answers (if any) are in this game & are intended to be revealed within a sequel? which I sincerely hope happens!

I so hope for a sequel.
I remember that GK1 was written by Jensen after she created the story for GK2. Her intention was to introduce Gabriel and his abilities, tell his background story and establish his relationship with Grace.
She did the same in Moebius.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top