• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Pyoro-2

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Moebius

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve now finished the game & give it 4.5/5 for keeping me gripped from beginning to end!
I’m not a lover of mazes either but thought it was entirely in context, with the time spent navigating them giving a sense of reality but erring on the tedious side, apart from the last part where there was a real sense of urgency.  I think a lot more effort should have gone into making different sections of the tunnels varied & interesting rather than repeating the same screens over & over in which case I would have given the game 5/5. Other than that I really liked the way the game ended!

I did warm to the character of Malachi my thought being that savants are often associated with having some type of autism and/or neurological disturbance that can be brought on by trauma (e.g. seeing your mother being eaten by a lion.) This could explain Malachi’s matter of fact attitude, aloofness & panic attacks. As for his distrustful nature, his work must have brought him in contact with a lot of dishonest people.  I found David more of a closed book but obviously the attraction between the 2 men was very subtly hinted at by Gretchen.  I didn’t find the game particularly sexist, as has been accused, except for the tired old stereo-typical portrayal of the librarian & really enjoyed the analysis of various characters.

As for the plot I tip my hat off to JJ for taking a risk by not basing it on more familiar (& comfortable?) myth/folklore/legend & going in a more original, if wacky, direction.
Perhaps there could have been more explanation in the game, possibly at the expense of its pacing, but for me the Moebius theory just provided the backdrop for a fascinating detective & deduction game! 

Total Posts: 90

Joined 2008-09-01

PM

chrissie - 21 April 2014 06:32 AM

I’ve now finished the game & give it 4.5/5 for keeping me gripped from beginning to end!
I’m not a lover of mazes either but thought it was entirely in context, with the time spent navigating them giving a sense of reality but erring on the tedious side, apart from the last part where there was a real sense of urgency.  I think a lot more effort should have gone into making different sections of the tunnels varied & interesting rather than repeating the same screens over & over in which case I would have given the game 5/5. Other than that I really liked the way the game ended!

I did warm to the character of Malachi my thought being that savants are often associated with having some type of autism and/or neurological disturbance that can be brought on by trauma (e.g. seeing your mother being eaten by a lion.) This could explain Malachi’s matter of fact attitude, aloofness & panic attacks. As for his distrustful nature, his work must have brought him in contact with a lot of dishonest people.  I found David more of a closed book but obviously the attraction between the 2 men was very subtly hinted at by Gretchen.  I didn’t find the game particularly sexist, as has been accused, except for the tired old stereo-typical portrayal of the librarian & really enjoyed the analysis of various characters.

As for the plot I tip my hat off to JJ for taking a risk by not basing it on more familiar (& comfortable?) myth/folklore/legend & going in a more original, if wacky, direction.
Perhaps there could have been more explanation in the game, possibly at the expense of its pacing, but for me the Moebius theory just provided the backdrop for a fascinating detective & deduction game!

Don’t you work for PO? Because you cannot be serious that this is a 4.5/5 game.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

xxax - 21 April 2014 07:28 AM

No I don’t work for POS & if you care to read the post properly you will see that it is a personal score! I understand & respect the fact that many players had/have issues with the game that didn’t bother me and/or spoil my enjoyment & there are plenty of professional reviews that raise these points & reflect them in their final score!

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2014-01-04

PM

I don’t work for Phoenix Online, either, and I’d give Moebius 4/5. The animations were awkward, that maze was tedious, and some of the inventory puzzles were silly. But I loved the characters and story, and enjoyed it over all.

Astonishingly, people have different opinions of games.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

same avatar, different username Wink

Total Posts: 90

Joined 2008-09-01

PM

Andraste - 21 April 2014 09:18 AM

I don’t work for Phoenix Online, either, and I’d give Moebius 4/5. The animations were awkward, that maze was tedious, and some of the inventory puzzles were silly. But I loved the characters and story, and enjoyed it over all.

Astonishingly, people have different opinions of games.

I understand people having different opinions, but how can people accepts something so below average as this is beyond me.

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2012-01-24

PM

xxax - 21 April 2014 09:33 AM

I understand people having different opinions, but how can people accepts something so below average as this is beyond me.

OK, here’s a surprise for some people in this forum. There are actually many people who really enjoyed the game and its story and do not consider it below average.
And there are good reviews for Moebius out there.
The hate this game is receiving in here is getting ridiculous especially considering the excellent writing. Whenever someone dares say that he/she enjoyed the game, they are being accused of being Jensen fanboys or POS stuff.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

chrissie - 21 April 2014 06:32 AM

I’ve now finished the game & give it 4.5/5 ..I think a lot more effort should have gone into making different sections of the tunnels ..in which case I would have given the game 5/5.

Chrissie, you’re the J.Jensen,right?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

The super high scores keep highlighting the relationship between the protagonists - whereas, while the idea was sound, I thought the execution was poor.

Out of interest, do any examples of stellar scenes spring to mind? Ones that showcase the 4/5 - 5/5 star writing of Malachi and David’s relationship?

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

Castledoque - 21 April 2014 09:43 AM

There are actually many people who really enjoyed the game and its story and do not consider it below average.
And there are good reviews for Moebius out there.

Spot on Castledoque. There’s been enough people on here being relatively positive that you’d think that obvious. Wonder if accusing someone of being a PO employee will get said person a warning from the mods…guess not. I struggle to take seriously comment from someone who simply writes “voice acting is bad” without any attempt at explanation…not even it being due to a dodgy Malachi accent Wink. The game’s got its flaws but (and I haven’t seen a formal review which disagrees) I can’t see the voice acting as one of them.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

noknowncure - 21 April 2014 09:53 AM

The super high scores keep highlighting the relationship between the protagonists - whereas, while the idea was sound, I thought the execution was poor.

Out of interest, do any examples of stellar scenes spring to mind? Ones that showcase the 4/5 - 5/5 star writing of Malachi and David’s relationship?

The scene where David keeps telling jokes and you hear Malachi laughing for the first time in the game…well, it’s a nice scene. The more I think about the game, the more I believe they held back in anticipation of a sequel. Everything about the story speaks “pilot episode”, laying something down they could build upon later - and there is a LOT there to build upon. Not to mention the title - I mean come on, “Empire Rising”??

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

From the technical stand point, I think it’s very hard to not frown at this game. The rest is subjective, but the former does play a huge part in how it is perceived.

I still don’t understand why this game is so technically poor. Makes no sense in this day and age with the amount of technology freely available. Animations, modelling etc…It’s a shame. Regardless if the game is good or not, these things undermine the whole game.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Tad - 21 April 2014 10:27 AM

From the technical stand point, I think it’s very hard to not frown at this game. The rest is subjective, but the former does play a huge part in how it is perceived.

The former is subjective too. Many people have mentioned they think the artwork and graphics style looks great. If the character models aren’t to your stylistic preference then that’s okay, but they can’t be called ‘bad’ just because you dislike them. The game does have glitches which can be called ‘errors’, but it isn’t universal opinion that the graphics are poor.

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

Zifnab - 21 April 2014 10:24 AM

The scene where David keeps on telling jokes and you hear Malachi laughing for the first time in the game…well, it’s a nice scene.

As mentioned, those scenes immediately brought to mind - to the point of them being a direct crib - the similar bonding moments in The Last of Us. However, the vocal performances in TLOU are leagues ahead of what we have in Moebius.

I can’t help but feel people are praising the intention of the scene, as opposed to the execution of the scene itself, in terms of vocal and visual performance, as well as writing.

If people genuinely think the performances in that scene are worthy of 4-5 stars, I don’t think there’s really any room for meaningful discussion. We may as well have been playing two entirely different games.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

The overall graphics are good. But there are issues there like the animations, modeling etc. Thats what I’m talking about.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top