• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

SpeedBowalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Moebius

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2006-08-31

PM

Darn at last i had some time to play Moebius and i have to say that, it was darn well spend two hours of my life Once again i can’t comprehend of those bad reviews. If game continues like this then it will be another classic game from Jane Jensen.

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

noknowncure - 21 April 2014 10:41 PM

Checked the Pinkerton Road forums - of all places - for the first time and, to my surprise and childish delight, found a thread of people discussing Malachi’s voice acting, with several posters expressing similar concerns to my own regarding his attempted accent. We are legion!!!

There are dozens of us! Dozens!

Grin : Seems like a lot are agreeing with my interpretations actually:

“Malachi trying to put on a British accent to impress people wouldn’t be out of character. It’s good enough to fool the locals, at least.”

or

“I seem to remember his dad was British and the prequel comic was in South Africa… But yes, I wouldn’t be surprised if the accent was an attempt of sounding sophisticated…”

Indeed, of the 2 people who have a similar opinion to yourself, one of them writes: “I like the idea, mentioned above, that MR himself could be a little pretentious in attempting an accent that is not natural. Wouldn’t that put an interesting slant on it?! I do wish there had been some dialogue to touch on this—perhaps another character mistaking him for British and being corrected.”

And a few other people made the point that with Malachi’s varied background, it’s not clear what his accent would end up being. So it’s more like dozens who agree with me and two at most who agree with you noknowncure…and even then, one of them agrees with me Tongue !

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

I know, right! When a vocal performance is bad enough to warrant fan-fiction explanations as to its provenance, you know you’ve done a good job. Wink

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2012-11-18

PM

I overall liked it less than Cognition. I don’t mind the graphics much, but the movements are way too slow and this doesn’t mix well to the unability to get items before you actually need them (although I like it in general).

I wasn’t satisfied story-wise, but also didn’t find it as terrible as someone is depicting here; the one that describes the closest experience to my own is Iznogood’s post.

I praise the ambitions; there is a huge amount of original narrative and puzzle topics even with the limited resources.
The plot had a great premise, but the slow development made its potential feel unexplored. I would have honestly cut the repetition of the investigations, because the detective side isn’t exactly gripping; the result is binary and fatalist and doesn’t leave much margin to surprise. The characters are just met briefly and their information feel just sticked together randomly to fit a predetermined profile instead of bulding up from how they link to each other.

I also mirror whoever said that Malachi doesn’t feel anywhere close to his stated IQ (this peculiarity in his description should definitely be removed).
The new interactions are a nice touch, but there is no mental challenge associated, while the actual inventory puzzle rely on unrealistic situations even for this context.

Anyway the game would have still been overall pleasant if it wasn’t for the utterly terrible last chapter and a half, by far the most clichè ridden and nonsensical piece of work I’ve ran into in my recent memory:

So the villains suddenly decided not to kill the 100% confirmed Livia anymore after Bianca was killed for much less?
How is Malachi supposed to even know that the smartphone is the only confirmed way to talk with Qatar guys?
Do we really still need to keep putting in the abused “escape from the cell with guard” trope?
Does the “Shove it in the ass” ending have any sense even? Why does he even hate FITA now and, even if he does, does he really think they care about him and what he says now that they got everything they wanted and, according to his idea, they actually consider the Savant/Warrior couple expendable.

It’d make sense not to delve much into vital issues if this was to be just a pilot ep, but at this moment it is of the utmost importance to maximize the potential and make it successful before even starting to think about making a saga out of it.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2010-03-11

PM

just got the game today and tried it out for a bit before calling it a night. can’t say I’m too impressed so far but my complaints are mostly little things, but they add up

the volume controls are simply atrocious. the game starts up with music blaring at insanely high volume, so I turn it down in the options. I try to adjust voice and sound effects but unlike every single other game I can ever remember playing, there is no test sound after making the adjustment so it’s impossible to tell if the volume is set correctly yet. then I load the game proper and despite my having just adjusted the volume the intro cutscene blares music at full blast again. not a promising start at all

I arrive at the New Client and look at the logo on the desk, prompting a closeup which allows me to make deductions on four elements. so I pick one for each and… that’s it. nothing happens. I’m not even told if I picked the right ones or not or given any additional information or anything. nice idea, awful execution

shrugging that off for now I talk to the guard only to notice an odd little icon next to the talk one so I try that instead. the character promptly shows his passport and walks off to the next scene before I’ve finished with this one. I thought I was in control here?

decided to just close it there and give it another go tomorrow, maybe it’ll make a better impression on me after some sleep

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

I think in the case of Moebius, the story Jane was most interested in telling - because she’s horny for her characters - was the relationship of Malachi/David, which, I feel, didn’t receive the time and attention it deserved/needed for it to be convincing. It ended up squashed in amongst all the complicated conspiracy theory threads and both characterisations suffer somewhat through their need to service this overly complex, problematic plot.

Others have pointed out flaws, plot holes and inconsistencies that suggest to me that the moebius theory coupled with pre-destination vs. intervention idea is a problematic one and isn’t easily workable if it’s not her primary area of interest. As someone else said - possibly iznogood (apologies if wrong) - removing the pre-destination stuff frees things up hugely.

As such, why not do away with all the shady Government conspiracies, unstable pre-destination concepts and magic divination powers and, instead, focus on the life of an outwardly cold, austere heartbreaker, who finally finds someone he can, against his better judgement, open up to… and actually show that journey, rather than reduce it to a couple of exposition dumps, rushed scenes and some jokes - because jokes worked in The Last of Us (It’s a strange turn of events when a shooter is better at story and character than an Adventure Game, but I digress.)

Keep the antiques side of things, as well as the contract jobs - and subsequent need for security this would generate - and then spend your story time bringing these two characters closer together.

You can still have rich, corrupt oligarchs angry at Malachi’s analysis, setting henchman on his case etc. but the problems should mainly focus on Malachi and David, rather than overcomplicating things with ‘the fate of the world’.

Of course, it would be possible to work in some paranormal aspects - just make it something Malachi becomes interested in himself, gradually uncovering the theory, recognising his place in the scheme and maybe finally using his ability to recognise historic patterns and prevent tragedies (presumably at David’s insistence), as opposed to set up arranged marriages to magic America’s economy better.

As it is, Jane Jensen may have bitten off more than she could chew, particularly with such a small budget. In trying to cram in so much, the overall piece suffers. It would benefit greatly from some editing and renewed focus.

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2008-01-31

PM

noknowncure - 22 April 2014 11:05 PM

As it is, Jane Jensen may have bitten off more than she could chew, particularly with such a small budget. In trying to cram in so much, the overall piece suffers. It would benefit greatly from some editing and renewed focus.

I think this is exactly the problem. I also feel that JJ probably had to modify the story during the development, which would explain why it feels unpolished.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

DaveyB - 22 April 2014 05:03 PM
noknowncure - 21 April 2014 10:41 PM

Checked the Pinkerton Road forums - of all places - for the first time and, to my surprise and childish delight, found a thread of people discussing Malachi’s voice acting, with several posters expressing similar concerns to my own regarding his attempted accent. We are legion!!!

There are dozens of us! Dozens!

Grin : Seems like a lot are agreeing with my interpretations actually:

“Malachi trying to put on a British accent to impress people wouldn’t be out of character. It’s good enough to fool the locals, at least.”

or

“I seem to remember his dad was British and the prequel comic was in South Africa… But yes, I wouldn’t be surprised if the accent was an attempt of sounding sophisticated…”

Indeed, of the 2 people who have a similar opinion to yourself, one of them writes: “I like the idea, mentioned above, that MR himself could be a little pretentious in attempting an accent that is not natural. Wouldn’t that put an interesting slant on it?! I do wish there had been some dialogue to touch on this—perhaps another character mistaking him for British and being corrected.”

And a few other people made the point that with Malachi’s varied background, it’s not clear what his accent would end up being. So it’s more like dozens who agree with me and two at most who agree with you noknowncure…and even then, one of them agrees with me Tongue !

Sorry! I don’t agree with either of you! In every day of my working life I listen to the same or very similar accents & in some cases far more affected ones! The voice acting for Malachi is excellent as it comes across as a natural & relaxed ‘middle-class’ English accent with absolutely nothing wrong with it!!!

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

Relaxed? Malachi’s clipped, guarded and uptight until the end - that’s one of the few parts of the performance that comes across.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

noknowncure - 23 April 2014 10:22 AM

Relaxed? Malachi’s clipped, guarded and uptight until the end - that’s one of the few parts of the performance that comes across.

I agree that Malachi is clipped & guarded but they are aspects of his personality - what does that have to do with your criticism of his accent????

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

I seem to have encountered a game-breaking bug early in day 3.  I’ve analyzed the gun in the store, but afterwards I’m suppose to talk to my assistant and she’s suppose to give me the phone number of the Senator who owns the gun.  But she doesn’t.  There’s no options to choose when talking to her.

And also the game hint system is telling me I need to call the Senator, but her phone number is not in my phone.

Has anyone had this problem and found a workaround?

I even tried reloading an earlier save and getting back to that point, but the same thing happens.

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2012-01-24

PM

Detective Mosely - 23 April 2014 05:54 PM

I seem to have encountered a game-breaking bug early in day 3.  I’ve analyzed the gun in the store, but afterwards I’m suppose to talk to my assistant and she’s suppose to give me the phone number of the Senator who owns the gun.  But she doesn’t.  There’s no options to choose when talking to her.

And also the game hint system is telling me I need to call the Senator, but her phone number is not in my phone.

I even tried reloading an earlier save and getting back to that point, but the same thing happens.

Hmmm, funny… Did you try talking to her before looking at the gun behind the screen for the first time?

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Castledoque - 23 April 2014 06:05 PM

Hmmm, funny… Did you try talking to her before looking at the gun behind the screen for the first time?

Yup.  She told me to check it out.  Then I successfully completed that analysis but she had nothing to say in return.

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

I’m not certain if this is quite the same, but I think I may have encountered the bug you describe, but without realising it. [spoiler]Gretchen told me to inspect the gun and I did so, but no ‘phone senator’ option appeared in Gretchen’s conversation topic tree, until I needed the Senator’s help to solve a later problem.[/spoiler]

Hope that helps.

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

noknowncure - 23 April 2014 06:21 PM

I’m not certain if this is quite the same, but I think I may have encountered the bug you describe, but without realising it. [spoiler]Gretchen told me to inspect the gun and I did so, but no ‘phone senator’ option appeared in Gretchen’s conversation topic tree, until I needed the Senator’s help to solve a later problem.[/spoiler]

Hope that helps.

Ahh, okay.  So maybe it’s not a bug after all.

It just really felt like one because it seems like there’s nothing to do, and the hint system is telling me I need to call the Senator.  I’ll see if there’s other stuff I can do first.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top