• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Syberia III

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

GreyFuss - 11 March 2013 02:21 PM

I believe the picture of Kate is the pre art work from Syberia II

I guess you are right Mr.Grey , though it was just posted today at Microids Official with that other one , but i checked there are nothing there to confirm that the artwork of Kate Walker is From the upcoming part ,but the other one with that cute creature has been titled as Syberia 3 artwork .

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Iznogood - 11 March 2013 03:37 PM

Let me make a bold statement: I am not convinced that Syberia III as a good idea.

I love Benoît Sokal’s style and storytelling, and i would really like to see him make another game, but i would prefer if he made an entirely new game.

The story in Syberia was pretty much concluded at the end of Synberia II, and any loose ends, like how she gets home, is something that i think is better left to our imagination. Somethings is better left untold.

And lets face it Kate Walker is not exactly like Indiana Jones, where you can just send Indiana on a new quest to retrieve some new ancient artifact, that could destroy the world if it falls into the wrong hands. It is not like you can just send Kate on a new journey to find some other (metaphorical) mammoths.

Also when playing Syberia i very much got the feeling that Kate Walker was on a journey of a life time, but the very nature of “a journey of a life time” is that it is not something that can be repeated.

I fear that another Syberia story would only subtract from the first 2, and not add anything to the story. And to me it feels like they are just trying to cash in on a previous success!

I might be wrong of course, in fact i hope i am wrong. But we really won’t know until the game is made, or at least we know more about the game.

I mostly agree here, but I also thought that even the first sequel was unnecessary, for Syberia was about Kate Walker self discovery and it was mostly complete by the end of the first game.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Monolith - 11 March 2013 04:29 PM

Seriously, there is so much to explore of Syberia.

I kind of agree with you. But not totally. I think of the ending of S2, finding the mammoths, to be the end of the journey.

Now comes the REAL adventure…getting home! No train. No Oscar. How will she do it? Part of the adventure may take place in Syberia, but certainly not all of it. How does she aqcuitre resources to even start the journey? Could be quite exciting.

Then, assuming Kate makes it home, a whole set of adventure opportunities present itself. I would assume that once she lands on solid ground that solid ground would seem awfully boring.

If Syberia were to become a franchise, Kate would need to find a way to retrieve the excitement she felt in S1-3. She may not actively seek it, but it will certainly find her just as Dr Ock found Spiderman.

Just a thought. Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Thanks to Advie I found this while researching his/her artwork…check out this great picture of the entire cast of Syberia…

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Advie - 11 March 2013 05:24 PM
GreyFuss - 11 March 2013 02:21 PM

I believe the picture of Kate is the pre art work from Syberia II

I guess you are right Mr.Grey , though it was just posted today at Microids Official with that other one , but i checked there are nothing there to confirm that the artwork of Kate Walker is From the upcoming part ,but the other one with that cute creature has been titled as Syberia 3 artwork .

For sure Advie, your firsy picture is labeled Syberia III and it looks to be a Youki that was introduced in Syberia II

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

rtrooney - 11 March 2013 07:04 PM
Monolith - 11 March 2013 04:29 PM

Seriously, there is so much to explore of Syberia.

I kind of agree with you. But not totally. I think of the ending of S2, finding the mammoths, to be the end of the journey.

Now comes the REAL adventure…getting home! No train. No Oscar. How will she do it? Part of the adventure may take place in Syberia, but certainly not all of it. How does she aqcuitre resources to even start the journey? Could be quite exciting.

Then, assuming Kate makes it home, a whole set of adventure opportunities present itself. I would assume that once she lands on solid ground that solid ground would seem awfully boring.

If Syberia were to become a franchise, Kate would need to find a way to retrieve the excitement she felt in S1-3. She may not actively seek it, but it will certainly find her just as Dr Ock found Spiderman.

Just a thought. Smile

At last someone agrees with me! I posted the same thing 2 years ago on the old forum:

http://archive.adventuregamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24358&highlight=Syberia+completed&page=5

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

One of my favorite all time games. I am thrilled to hear the news!

Life is a riddle waiting to be solved.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Jabod - 12 March 2013 08:34 AM

At last someone agrees with me! I posted the same thing 2 years ago on the old forum:

(From Old forum) Having read through this thread I’m somewhat surprised that everyone seems to think that Syberia 2 completed the journey rather nicely. It didn’t. How the hell was Kate supposed to get home?

The reason we believe this is because the story was never about the physical journey, it was about a journey of self discovery. How she gets home is simply irrelevant for the story.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Iznogood - 12 March 2013 02:44 PM

(From Old forum) Having read through this thread I’m somewhat surprised that everyone seems to think that Syberia 2 completed the journey rather nicely. It didn’t. How the hell was Kate supposed to get home?

The reason we believe this is because the story was never about the physical journey, it was about a journey of self discovery. How she gets home is simply irrelevant for the story.

So she changes/grows/becomes a different person (totally accepted) but you’re happy to leave her to die completely alone. There is a great continuing story waiting there for Kate and how she can further develop.

And selective quoting is cheap. Try al that was written, even if it does help to invalidate what you think:

“Having read through this thread I’m somewhat surprised that everyone seems to think that Syberia 2 completed the journey rather nicely. It didn’t. How the hell was Kate supposed to get home? There she is, stuck on an island, with a boat that pretty much navigated itself. Even if she could get it to reverse the journey the train is pointing in the wrong direction. Possibilty of turning it around I suppose but Oscar steadfastly refused to allow Kate any knowledge of how to operate the engine and anyway, part of the line is out. Poor girl is stuck there with only Youki for company, no apparent food, no shelter and it’s going to be rather cold. I’d give her about 72 hours before she’s frozen to death. Plenty of scope to allow the story to further unfold, albeit with different characters.”

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Jabod - 12 March 2013 03:28 PM

And selective quoting is cheap. Try al that was written, even if it does help to invalidate what you think:

Whoa - If we quoted everything everybody wrote on a subject, the posts would become incredible long - “Try al that was written” is simply not physical possible, and selective quoting is necessary.

I choose that quote because that was what i was going to comment on, not because it validates or invalidates my points, or because i want to use cheap tricks, or make it look like you are saying something you aren’t.

If anybody wants to know what you think on the subject, then they should read what you have written, and not just what somebody is quoting.

Also I don’t think that quote is in anyway unfair.
Everything you wrote in that post after the quote is just elaborating your point.

Edit: I agree that when quoting someone you should be fair, and not rip something out of context or use other dirty tricks, and i would never do something like that, at least not deliberately.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Iznogood - 12 March 2013 03:51 PM

Whoa - If we quoted everything everybody wrote on a subject, the posts would become incredible long - “Try al that was written” is simply not physical possible, and selective quoting is necessary.

I choose that quote because that was what i was going to comment on, not because it validates or invalidates my points, or because i want to use cheap tricks, or make it look like you are saying something you aren’t.

If anybody wants to know what you think on the subject, then they should read what you have written, and not just what somebody is quoting.

Also I don’t think that quote is in anyway unfair.
Everything you wrote in that post after the quote is just elaborating your point.

I don’t think we’re going to agree on this one Iznogood. You think it’s over and I don’t. What I was trying to point out was that there was a hell of a lot of the story still to go which is why I think it is relevant that all of what I originally posted should have been quoted as it gives meat to the bones of my thoughts. And it wasn’t that much.

Still, I accept you disagree and there I’ll let it lie.

Nice to know we agree about Susan Sto Hellit though Thumbs Up

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Well technically if that was true, the game wouldn’t have done anything about what was left behind like her boss and her job.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

Monolith - 12 March 2013 04:21 PM

Well technically if that was true, the game wouldn’t have done anything about what was left behind like her boss and her job.

I actually was happy with the conclusion because the development of the character and her strengths showed that she had become extremely capable of caring for herself. Nonetheless, I so enjoyed Kate and her adventures that I am glad we will get a chance to see more of her life developed.

Life is a riddle waiting to be solved.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Great! Looking forward to this!

Smile

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top