• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

About hints in Monkey Island SE

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2013-02-27

PM

i know this isn’t the right forum, but the “support” forum isn’t active. so I trying here.

I have the game “secret of monkey island special edition. in this game there is annoying option to get hints by pressing H. it’s bad becose if I dont succeed to do something after tow mintues I’m using the hints.
anybody know how to cancel this option? 

(I guees there is a lot error spells in what I wrote. it’s becose I’m not speak english Usually(

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I’m afraid the only thing you can do is practice self-discipline. I have never seen an adventure game in which you can switch the hints off.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

tsa - 27 February 2013 05:40 AM

I’m afraid the only thing you can do is practice self-discipline.

^ This.

You don’t *have* to click on the hint button or press H, you know… Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-02-27

PM

I thought more about delete some file or something. I know it’s sound funny, but few days ago I read how to change the font of “the longest…” by change some words in text file.  I guess i went to far with that.
so I’m the only one with this problem? Embarrassing

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

miv - 27 February 2013 06:36 AM

I thought more about delete some file or something. I know it’s sound funny, but few days ago I read how to change the font of “the longest…” by change some words in text file.  I guess i went to far with that.

Don’t worry, I have the same problem in any game with hints. This is probably not helpful but you could always just play the original. Better graphics and no hints!

Joined 2013-02-27

PM

TimovieMan - 27 February 2013 06:32 AM
tsa - 27 February 2013 05:40 AM

I’m afraid the only thing you can do is practice self-discipline.

^ This.

You don’t *have* to click on the hint button or press H, you know… Wink

what a Relief

I was afraid that if I dont push the button there will be more six seasons of lost.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

miv - 27 February 2013 06:36 AM

i would love to avoid the hotspot reveler but i always end up using it to recheck locations

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Advie - 27 February 2013 06:44 AM

i would love to avoid the hotspot reveler but i always end up using it to recheck locations

It’s a ‘personal preference’ thing.
I like the hotspot revealers, so that - after I’ve gone over the entire screen - I can make sure that I didn’t miss anything that’ll cause me to get stuck later on…
The trick is just to use the hotspot revealer AFTER you’ve gone over the screen, and not as the first thing you do on a screen… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

What Timovieman said! I use that thing all the time, if available.

Joined 2013-02-27

PM

I thought that the quest fans burn anyone who use hints. in some walkthrough websites there is warning similar to xxx website warning.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

miv - 27 February 2013 07:13 AM

I thought that the quest fans burn anyone who use hints. in some walkthrough websites there is warning similar to xxx website warning.

I can get the flamethrower if you like .

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I don’t care much for in-game hints, and I only use them if a game starts feeling like a chore to finish (if I find the game boring, but don’t want to abandon it).

But, I don’t understand why so many people are against hotspot-revealers when there is a general consensus that pixel hunting is a bad thing? Like Tim, I don’t use the hotspot-revealer until after I’ve explored a room, but I think it’s a VERY handy option. I don’t wan’t to play Snake with the cursor all day long, that time could have been better spent solving actual puzzles Smile

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

well… self discipline isn’t as easy as it sounds and that’s why I think some people hate the hints even though they hate pixel hunting as well. I’m not totally against the hint system, but I like it when it’s somehow concealed. When the hotspots can be revealed just with the click of a button it’s just too tempting. I’ve experienced games where I tried not to use it, then after I checked it for the first time I couldn’t resist anymore. And that could kill your fun just as walkthroughs do.

But in Machinarium for example you needed to go through a lousy boring game before you can get a hint. So you only do it when it’s really necessary Smile

For me if a game decides to make a hotspot revealer it should be an option that can be turned on and off from the main menu. That way everybody’s happy.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Or even better: Hints should be optional when you are buying the game. It should be like McDonald’s where you’re asked: do you want fries (hints) with that?

Joined 2013-02-27

PM

I agree there is no need in fixel hunting. and more, sometimes I prefer to know that “you need to steal the cow from the farmer” instead of wondering all over the game-universe trying to use the Sandwich with mona liza picture. 
although, I dont want the hint option becose all the grate reasons that everybody wrote.I

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Zifnab - 27 February 2013 10:23 AM

do you want fries (hints) with that?

And then you win a contest and get a contract from Sierra… Tongue

I agree that having it as an option in the menu isn’t a bad thing, but it still boils down to self-discipline. What’s to stop you from enabling it again and using it?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top