• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Becky

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

About hints in Monkey Island SE

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Goldeneye - 27 February 2013 09:23 AM
tsa - 27 February 2013 05:40 AM

I have never seen an adventure game in which you can switch the hints off.

The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav. And the game get’s a lot harder and a few hours longer if you pass on using the “comfort features” on your first playthrough.

If I don’t remember incorrectly, you can disable/enable a hotspot-revealer button in The Critter Chronicles aswell.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

I’m actually OK with using a hotspot finder. I’m more about the puzzles, than looking for objects. However, I would never ever want a hotspot finder in a game like Tex Murphy, where finding items and clues are a part of the detective work. I really hope that they don’t introduce a hotspot finder in the new Tex Murphy game. Any thoughts?

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

Actually it might even be a good forum topic to just discuss hotspot finders? Smile

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Niclas - 28 February 2013 03:38 AM

I’m actually OK with using a hotspot finder. I’m more about the puzzles, than looking for objects. However, I would never ever want a hotspot finder in a game like Tex Murphy, where finding items and clues are a part of the detective work. I really hope that they don’t introduce a hotspot finder in the new Tex Murphy game. Any thoughts?

Niclas - 28 February 2013 03:39 AM

Actually it might even be a good forum topic to just discuss hotspot finders? Smile

There is already one here (sort of, it’s discussed later in the thread).

As for my thoughts, I don’t think moving the cursor across the screen in search of objects and moving Tex across the screen for the same reason are all that different. It’s a good comparison, because like you said, using a “hotspot finder” in Tex Murphy would ruin it. And yet most people find it acceptable in traditional adventure games.

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I know some people hate pixel hunting, but I rather enjoy it. I remember searching for a particular light switch in Monkey Island 2 for about an hour…

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2013-02-27

PM

dave_minall - 28 February 2013 04:25 AM

I know some people hate pixel hunting, but I rather enjoy it. I remember searching for a particular light switch in Monkey Island 2 for about an hour…

you will never be broken in any Investigation. you passed the worse.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

miv - 27 February 2013 07:13 AM

I thought that the quest fans burn anyone who use hints…

If that was the case, most of us would be dead Smile
We however rarely admit we use hints or walkthroughs, but that is another story.

TimovieMan - 27 February 2013 06:51 AM

It’s a ‘personal preference’ thing.
I like the hotspot revealers, so that - after I’ve gone over the entire screen - I can make sure that I didn’t miss anything that’ll cause me to get stuck later on…
The trick is just to use the hotspot revealer AFTER you’ve gone over the screen, and not as the first thing you do on a screen… Tongue

I totally agree, exercise a little self-control and you get the best of both.

The main problem with hint systems in my experiance, is that they are rarely very helpfull!
They either tend to tell you things that you already know, like “try opening the safe”, yeah right - that was what i was trying to do, but how? Or they tell you exactly what you have to do like “The combination is 234567”, which i really dont want to be told.
But only once in like never, do they actually give you that subtle hint that allows you to solve the puzzle on your own.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

If you do need a walkthrough for something, I recommend checking if there’s a UHS file for the game first. There, you can click your way through several steps of hints for a puzzle, where only the last step reveals the actual solution. These are usually better than any in-game hints I’ve seen.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Dag - 28 February 2013 11:39 AM

If you do need a walkthrough for something, I recommend checking if there’s a UHS file for the game first. There, you can click your way through several steps of hints for a puzzle, where only the last step reveals the actual solution. These are usually better than any in-game hints I’ve seen.

I agree UHS is useally (but not always) better then the in game hint systems, and doesn’t reveal as much as a walkthrough.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Oscar - 27 February 2013 06:44 AM

Don’t worry, I have the same problem in any game with hints. This is probably not helpful but you could always just play the original. Better graphics and no hints!

Thumbs Up

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top