• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretinKelopwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Return to Monkey island by Ron Gilbert : 19 september 2022

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

At least Stan looks good

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Overall, I like the background art, the character design seems a bit of a hit and miss. The animation seems a bit rigid. It actually reminded me a bit of how animations looked in Monkey Island 1, but that had the benefit of having low-resolution characters, so less than smooth animation was fine, here it comes out just stiff.

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2004-03-14

PM

Slowing down the footage on YT gave me a nice feeling about it. Perhaps this wasn’t highly funded, and obviously otherwise it could’ve looked a lot better, but given a return to 2D I appreciate that it feels like a very unique remixed take. Every entry in the series presently looks average or below, and this won’t be an exception, but chances are we were always there for the story, and this ain’t a lesser monkey.

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2018-02-08

PM

Can’t say I’m too impressed with the graphics (What’s up with their noses?) either, but it’s more than good enough for me to pick up a copy on the day of the release. Can’t wait to learn more of Stan’s NFT venture Smile

Message #43

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2003-12-31

PM

This looks absolutely fantastic. A labor of love, the seeds of which were planted decades ago. It’s going to be rich and wonderful and as good of a Monkey Island adventure game as we could possibly hope for. So excited!

Total Posts: 529

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

badlemon - 28 June 2022 09:13 AM

Bam.

This gave me much better vibes than the first trailer. It’s lost the flash/browsergame feel or maybe I’ve just come to terms with the style, and I am at least happy it’s not the same 3D style as Tales. If I wanted more Tales (I don’t) I would replay Tales.

Looking forward to it.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 2103

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Jdawg445 - 28 June 2022 11:27 AM

Honestly something about this game is giving me bad vibes as a whole.  I already don’t like the art, but i hope its a true point and click type game. Something seems off all the way around.

I think it’s not even the lazy character design/animation, but the locations that have a very claustraphobic feel about them, like one could barely move around or do anything at all for the lack of detail and broken perspectives. I felt it on the early screenshots, and now too. Monkey Island always had that open-worldy sense of discovery and adventure, wandering around, exploring, grabbing everything and running into wildness. This is just so not like it.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

Obviously they weren’t aiming for Purcell cover art. The shown differs between ‘nice’ and ‘somehow unfinished’. A few characters felt off and some animations looked rougher than expected, but they dared something new and there is nicely colored good looking stuff too.

I guess the music will be the safer bet. Let’s hope, that the writing and puzzles will be good and the game will be fun. It would benefit from feeling fast and responsive.

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2013-03-10

PM

I love the look of the game and can’t wait to play it

Total Posts: 1088

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

It’s the funniest looking one already,don’t you think?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

Let’s just be grateful that it’s not 2009 anymore (MI related).

I like the young naive Guybrush from TSOMI’s cover the most. Guybrush from LCR looks more experienced. In Tales Guybrush got edged already.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Well, it is a better design than the 2000 and 2009 versions. But that pic is actually a good reminder of how many iterations Guybrush has gone through.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Gabe - 29 June 2022 06:10 AM

It’s the funniest looking one already,don’t you think?

yeah, he is now more of a Guybrush Hipwood

Total Posts: 529

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Its only a guess, but I think the design was limited by the story and its links to LeChuck’s Revenge. Then again, where do Murray and Morgan LeFlay come into it? This is some rabbit-out-of-the-hat trick Ron Gilbert is increasingly looking like he’s pulling.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

haha I was about to comment something like that Advie!

this is very weird to see. It does show where the designers were at and what type of character they had in mind.

I agree about the early Guybrush from The Secret of Monkey Island - he looks like a young nerd, which is very appropriate to his character in the game. And it ties into the ending of the second game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top