• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Return to Monkey island by Ron Gilbert : 19 september 2022

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

Morgan LeFlay, in the photo collection, is looking good.

Some scenes offer a nice mood. I like the darker ones were colors pop.

So far no GOG release?

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

I generally like the art style. Need a little time to get used to Guybrush, but I think I’m going to be fine with him. The only department I’m not happy about is animation. Sadly, it’s exactly what I feared it will be.

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

I’m in shock with how badly they’ve looked to have screwed this

Absolute shock

Total Posts: 1688

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Burge - 28 June 2022 09:59 AM

I’m in shock with how badly they’ve looked to have screwed this

Absolute shock

I’ll tell you what this reminds me of. like when Disney used to release big box office movies than the sequels were coming out straight to DVD, you know like alladin 2 or Little Mermaid 2.  the animation and look was so much poorer in the sequels, that’s what this reminds me of.

Total Posts: 2103

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Hmph, seems like those who feared that the game will look like a badly animated flash movie were 100% right. I’d lie if I say I enjoyed what I’ve just seen, it’s ugly, and so is the character design and some very questionable visual humour of modern psychotic cartoons. Hopefully it will be more fun to play than to look at.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

Nice detail: On the website you can go through a little conversation with Stan in a decent scene. I like the game cursor.

When Stan is talking, I imagine Morty’s voice somehow.

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2012-06-18

PM

The characters doesn’t look so good to me, somehow they look like paper doll… everything else is pretty good.

Total Posts: 219

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Damn, this is such a rollercoaster. I went from being excited about art style when seeing first teaser, to being a bit disappointed after seeing first screenshots… but now I must say I’m excited again after seeing this gameplay trailer!

I get that some people are disappointed. This is very different from what we got before. But I must say that’s exactly the reason why I like it so much. I love characters, animations, the mood and backgrounds. It’s just crazy enough.

Very excited for the game’s release!

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Doom - 28 June 2022 10:17 AM

Hmph, seems like those who feared that the game will look like a badly animated flash movie were 100% right. I’d lie if I say I enjoyed what I’ve just seen, it’s ugly, and so is the character design and some very questionable visual humour of modern psychotic cartoons. Hopefully it will be more fun to play than to look at.

Honestly something about this game is giving me bad vibes as a whole.  I already don’t like the art, but i hope its a true point and click type game. Something seems off all the way around.

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2005-06-14

PM

Unsurprising that the graphical style isn’t to everyone’s taste, it isn’t really my bag either, but the people involved won’t make a poor game. Crazy to suggest otherwise imo.

Presume some of the control design will have the Switch and Steam Deck in mind. Most of the Switch adventures I’ve played have control stick or point and click movement depending on how you’re playing, and even then you can still use either.

It think it’s hyperbole to say that it’s completely ruined without actually playing it.

He gave me a cold, shocked stare as if I’d farted at a funeral.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Blogga - 28 June 2022 11:44 AM

Unsurprising that the graphical style isn’t to everyone’s taste, it isn’t really my bag either, but the people involved won’t make a poor game. Crazy to suggest otherwise imo.

Presume some of the control design will have the Switch and Steam Deck in mind. Most of the Switch adventures I’ve played have control stick or point and click movement depending on how you’re playing, and even then you can still use either.

Not to me but then again I thought thembleweed Park was hugely underwhelming as a whole too.

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2005-06-14

PM

Jdawg445 - 28 June 2022 11:46 AM
Blogga - 28 June 2022 11:44 AM

Not to me but then again I thought thembleweed Park was hugely underwhelming as a whole too.

Interesting, that, I thought it was class.

Horses for courses, I suppose.

He gave me a cold, shocked stare as if I’d farted at a funeral.

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Yeah, it doesn’t look good. I don’t think the style is a good fit for Monkey Island. Plus the movement is especially rigid, even for this kind of skeletal/anchor point animation.

Other games have done similar styles and done them better. For example Jenny LeClue also has a stylized flat character w/ simple features look, and uses the same type of skeletal animation, but the animation actually has some weight and bounce to it.

It’s a shame, art is such a big part of getting drawn into a narrative. Hopefully the other aspects of the game are strong enough to make up for it.

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

Monkey Island’s top sushi-bar.

Visitors say ‘Such a beautiful jail!’.

Laied-back puzzle swing mood.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

PlanetX - 28 June 2022 02:18 PM

Yeah, it doesn’t look good. I don’t think the style is a good fit for Monkey Island. Plus the movement is especially rigid, even for this kind of skeletal/anchor point animation.

Other games have done similar styles and done them better. For example Jenny LeClue also has a stylized flat character w/ simple features look, and uses the same type of skeletal animation, but the animation actually has some weight and bounce to it.

It’s a shame, art is such a big part of getting drawn into a narrative. Hopefully the other aspects of the game are strong enough to make up for it.

Where is your confidence level as a whole?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top