• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Anything Goes.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

TimovieMan - 16 June 2014 04:57 PM
tsa - 14 June 2014 11:24 AM

If you are in a competition, I think it’s best to either come out last or almost last, or in one of the upper two slots. That way, people talk about you, which is ultimately what you want. The worst that can happen to you is end up somewhere in the middle. Nobody cares whether you became 10th or 11th in a competition with 20 contestants.
What do you think?

Why would coming out last or almost last be good at all??? You’re most likely a laughing stock if you do… Gasp

Anyway, it’s always best to end as high as you can, but expectations need to be taken into account.
Top teams will always aim for the highest accolades, but smaller teams can have a “middle of the pack” finish and still regard that as a major victory.

Heck, regarding the World Cup, everyone in Belgium is STILL talking about that one time in Mexico in ‘86 where we made the semi-finals…

subbi - 16 June 2014 05:45 AM

We already have our fair share of being talked about…..so at this point I’d prefer a lousy or crappy win over a fantastic/eventful 2nd place.

As a sports fan, I hate reading this. I ALWAYS prefer a fantastic/eventful performance over a lousy or crappy one, no matter what the end result is.

At the last World Cup, Holland wound up in second place (and nearly won), and I still feel that they played their worst World Cup ever with ugly football in dull matches.
I rather see them set the tournament on fire (like they did in 1998 for instance) and end up in fourth place (or even strand in the quarter finals), than have to watch them win in a dull fashion.

That goes for all teams and all sports, btw. I will always prefer an attractive attacking style (even if its results vary greatly) over an effective but dull and defensive style that wins consistently…

I completely agree with you, it is the journey and not how you get there like they say. I’ve always been a fan of Brazil especially their 80’s team although they stumbled and fell. To me, the 1982 classy team of Brazil is 10 times more exciting and memorable than the boring 1994 one.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I have truly hit a midlife crisis. After a six years masters degree in computer engineering and 13 years working asa software engineer, I decided that I hated my career and it is time for change. I am trying to figure out what to do with my life at my “not young” age anymore and I feel like I have no clue.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

I very slightly know how that feels because it took me 6½ years to do my Masters in law and I really don’t want to work in almost anything to do with law Tongue

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

UPtimist - 02 July 2014 12:04 PM

I very slightly know how that feels because it took me 6½ years to do my Masters in law and I really don’t want to work in almost anything to do with law Tongue

Exactly how I feel. I feel so burnt out that I don’t want to approach programming with a 20 foot pole. My biggest worry is starting fresh and having to start from the bottom again. Although I hate programming, it is all I am skilled in doing right now.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

If you can handle a wage drop, you’d be amazed how liberating a zero-responsiblity low-level job can be. The lack of stress involved can rejuvenate you and get you out of the rut…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

TimovieMan - 02 July 2014 04:18 PM

If you can handle a wage drop, you’d be amazed how liberating a zero-responsiblity low-level job can be. The lack of stress involved can rejuvenate you and get you out of the rut…

You hit it on the nail. The wage drop thing is very demoralizing especially after working too hard to get to that level.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude28 - 02 July 2014 10:33 AM

I have truly hit a midlife crisis. After a six years masters degree in computer engineering and 13 years working asa software engineer, I decided that I hated my career and it is time for change. I am trying to figure out what to do with my life at my “not young” age anymore and I feel like I have no clue.

I did Software engineering, then Masters in Business related field, to escape
the same life you mentioned, it was 8 hrs of programming for me. Sitting in
cubicle, then coming back to home playing games on screen again, so too much
TV/LCD took its toll, i quit it. Majority of friends and i tried positions
of Business analyst, Project managers and Strategy planners in IT based companies.
Or in in any Company IT department. So Masters is your escape route to know about
management and shit. that helped to get in many disciplines and i got to work on on AAA
game which got canceled.

My parents were sole responsible for not allowing me to become Sportsman, i would have
been Athlete or Soccer player. So i got to become skillful programmer to earn good,
later to find out its a trap.

People should do what they can live on daily basis so that work doesn’t feel work.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Haha, this is actually great, because in law I always hear people saying they want a job “with a lot of responsibility” and I’m thinking like “hell no!” I’m not going to be the one who is responsible for someone else’s life! Like, never a judge or an advocate or anything like that… No responsibility sounds soo good to me Grin

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

UPtimist - 03 July 2014 04:38 AM

Haha, this is actually great, because in law I always hear people saying they want a job “with a lot of responsibility” and I’m thinking like “hell no!” I’m not going to be the one who is responsible for someone else’s life! Like, never a judge or an advocate or anything like that… No responsibility sounds soo good to me Grin

Yeah from personal experience, the more responsibility I had, the more stress I had. In my last gig, I thought being a lead seemed like easy work after watching other leads doing it. How hard is it, to come up with the technical ideas and let the engineers implement them I thought, or to manage a few engineers?Turns out, when I started doing it, it is very stressful and much harder than doing the dirty work. Not only you have to come up with technical solutions for ALL the tough problems that the engineers can’t figure out, you also have to babysit the other engineers. God help you if you have one engineer that is under performing and not delivering on time. Management only cares that the game is delivered on time.

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

I quit teaching four years ago and took a big wage drop when I started working as law court secretary. It’s not by far a zero-responsibility-job, but it’s a totally different kind of job! That’s what’s so great about it! Anohter kind of stress, not at all the same kind as before. Even though a earn a lot less, my life is a lot better today. Money isn’t everyting.

Upsie,I think it’s difficult working in law without any kind of resposibility. Tongue.
Aren’t you interested in working as a districe court clerk for a while? In Sweden they work for maximum two years and it’s a good experience for any kind of work in law.

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

SoccerDude28 - 03 July 2014 01:25 PM

Turns out, when I started doing it, it is very stressful and much harder than doing the dirty work. Not only you have to come up with technical solutions for ALL the tough problems that the engineers can’t figure out, you also have to babysit the other engineers. God help you if you have one engineer that is under performing and not delivering on time. Management only cares that the game is delivered on time.

Ouch, sounds very much like the trap my hubby is in. He’s a project leader in telecom and is at times so stressed out for reasons you explained above. Specially the ‘babysitting’. Shifty Eyed

I sincerely hope you find a way out of the stressful enviromnet you’re in. A wage drop might be a better solution than ending up ‘burned out’.

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Jelena - 07 July 2014 06:33 AM

Upsie,I think it’s difficult working in law without any kind of resposibility. Tongue.

You are at the heart of the problem Wink

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Total Posts: 165

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

Howdy, folks!

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Heey, it’s Hammerite! Aces!