• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Anything Goes.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

TimovieMan - 06 August 2014 08:41 AM

In response to the spammer that just posted a thread called “simple” with a bunch of spam links in it:
completely nuking an account and all posts made with it is only a three-click process for us mods.
Simple. Cool

Way to go TimovieMan. Show ‘em who is boss!!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

nomadsoul - 06 August 2014 10:33 AM

Fix some post restrictions to open new threads, posts like minimum 30
before they can open threads, will keep them away.

That would completely destroy the purpose of the Hint Requests and Technical Problems subforums, as most people posting there are newbies making (one of) their first post(s). Plus, with the ease of deleting the spammers, it’s not really necessary to go that far…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

But we used to have that restriction in the old forums. It worked a treat.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Just read that Robin Williams died last night, and quite possibly committed suicide (he has been battling substance abuse and depression for years now).

That’s another big part of the comedy (and movies) I grew up on that’s gone, and we’ve all lost an insanely funny guy, and really talented actor (whose career was in a slump this last decade, though).

And the gaming community lost one of its most well-known gamers (the guy named his daughter Zelda, for Pete’s sake)...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Never… I mean NEVER will someone reprise the role that of Robin as a shrink in Good Will Hunting.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Didn’t know he’d died.  Frown  Great comedian, very funny, but the first I thought of was his serious role of the awful creep in Insomnia. He played it to perfection.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Really sad to see him die. I guess even funny comedians can put on a show in front of the cameras when in reality, they are facing depression. It reminds me of the Rorschach story from the Watchmen

Man goes to doctor. Says he’s depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, “Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up.” Man bursts into tears. Says “But Doctor… I am Pagliacci.”

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

SoccerDude28 - 12 August 2014 08:51 AM

Really sad to see him die. I guess even funny comedians can put on a show in front of the cameras when in reality, they are facing depression.

As I’ve come to understand, a very large amount of “funny people” (to quote the name of that one movie) actually have a lot of dark under their surface. I guess comedy is a kind of… well, you know, a safe haven or such.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 12 August 2014 07:43 AM

Didn’t know he’d died.  Frown  Great comedian, very funny, but the first I thought of was his serious role of the awful creep in Insomnia. He played it to perfection.

Need to see that one! (I’ve seen only the Swedish original) Be sure to check One Hour Photo as well for the extra creepiness!!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 12 August 2014 02:18 PM

Need to see that one! (I’ve seen only the Swedish original) Be sure to check One Hour Photo as well for the extra creepiness!!

Also watch black comedy “Death to Smoochy” which was his third “darker” role he played in that two-year span with Insomnia and One Hour Photo.
Of the three, Insomnia is imo the best film, with One Hour Photo his best performance (that balancing act between creepy and pitiable). How those three films didn’t result in a string of better films for him always baffled me…

Based on outtakes of the films he made, he must’ve been a real hoot on the set - often making the others corpse with his jokes (and consequently ruining takes), and also quite often improvising instead of following the script (and making the entire thing funnier by doing so).

It’s so sad that the gift of laughter so often is accompagnied by the curse of depression. ‘I give joy to others, I keep none for myself’?

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

He did suffer from bipolar disorder which meant that one minute, he was the happiest person alive and the next, he was in the dumps. The way he exuded happiness in some of the interviews did not feel natural to me.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

As a form of ‘In Memoriam’, our main public broadcasting channel decided to scrap their late-night showing to play ‘Dead Poets Society’ instead.
Since that is probably my favourite Robin Williams movie, I decided to watch it again (which was a dumb move - it ended at 1am and I had to get up for work at 6am and besides, I own it on DVD).

It was probably the fourth or fifth time I watched it, so its impact is lessened when compared to when I first saw it, but this is the first film I can remember where the ending made me cry so much that, after the credits had already finished for ten minutes, I was still crying.
Only a handful of movies have managed that…

And in other news: Lauren Bacall passed away as well. I’ve a feeling her death will pass a lot more unnoticed than that of Robin Williams (I’ll draw a comparison to Farrah Fawcett dying on the same day as Michael Jackson)...

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

And now for more happy news. I got this totally cool gift from a good friend of mine for my birthday last Monday! It’s a mug with screenshots on it from many of the freeware adventure games I have reviewed.
Following Freeware mug

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 13 August 2014 06:34 AM

And in other news: Lauren Bacall passed away as well. I’ve a feeling her death will pass a lot more unnoticed than that of Robin Williams (I’ll draw a comparison to Farrah Fawcett dying on the same day as Michael Jackson)...

I watched her old movies with Bogart of course, but nothing since. Last time I saw Lauren Bacall acting was in an episode of The Sopranos playing “herself” together with her dog and Ben Kingsley. They were both clearly enjoying their parts. Great episode.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Sorry, think I must have dozed off for a while there.

Nice mug tsa! Laughing

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top