• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiegrizzlypantsKeybordzSefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Anything Goes.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I didn’t say you aren’t creative Advie. I just corrected you on your saying that the academic is the opposite of the creative. And I agree with you that many creative processes occur during strong emotions, but emotions are about consciousness too and I have to start somewhere.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I might always sound defensive ,but believe me I wasn’t taking this on myself ,I was just telling how I believed in that weird theory of mine .

out of the subject ;but I heard today that joke that cracked me so hard Grin
“man! ,I saw your wife yesterday making out with Max the mechanic”
“Shit man!! ,he is not a mechanic ,and you know it.”

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Well, good luck on your quest of creativity (do I smell a Sierra game there somewhere? Creativity Quest!), Tsa. Creativity is one of the biggest puzzles and hottest topics in certain parts of the academia right now. A lot has been written, even more is being studied, and very little is known. But this is obviously this is not a discouraging statement - on the contrary, more the reason to get cracking on the subject.

Also, the part about academic stuff being the opposite of creativity - Tsa is right in that proper academic study is certainly a highly creative process. But there are many types of creativity and I feel you both are talking about very different things. Certainly there are some cases of just “mindless” recording of data (but that’s the opposite of academic research, even though I believe many of those outside the academic circles have such a narrow view of what research is), but proper academic study is always open-minded, and the whole point is to create new ideas that are as original as possible (to generalize a bit). You need to think outside the box, to connect things that others wouldn’t understand to connect, etcetera. But of course you have to follow certain rules in research, while in a purely creative medium like art, you only need to follow guidelines you consciously or unconsciously set for yourself.

I mean, I consider myself a quite highly creative person (in a more artistic sense) as well as quite an academic person, and I only see them as being expressions of the same… thing (clearly I’m not so creative linguistically Tongue). Two sides of the same coin, and not even that much on opposite sides.

Anyway, just wanted to do a middle-of-the-night ramble about that, I guess Grin

Anyways, once again, creativity and the consciousness are fascinating and difficult, extremely multi-sided issues, that I’d sure love to study myself too… So good luck, and I hope you get a lot out of it. It’s sure.going to be a long-term project, so lots of enthusiasm is surely needed, too! Anyways, do come and enlighten us when you have become a guru, won’t you?

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Nice ramble UP! Me becoming a guru will take a lot of time since I do this in my spare time. The question of creativity is, as Advie and You and I showed, a very complicated and multi-sided issue; much more complicated and on a whole different level than the nanofabrication I have done so far at work. I’m curious how far I will get. It would be awesome if I can get an article published as an amateur! Very expensive too, but that’s another matter…

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

By the way Advie, I don’t get your joke… Frown. Is that me being stupid?  Meh

Total Posts: 334

Joined 2003-10-16

PM

tsa - 24 March 2014 11:35 PM

The joke is the husband is concerned about the man being described as a mechanic, not that said man was getting amorous with his wife.

I will have a think on the creativity question. Not an easy one to answer.

No Nonsense Nonsonnets 44

Quest for Knowledge

I’m hoping to find name for game that I played long ago
The people here so well-informed, someone is sure to know
A time machine, grandfather clock, I give it to myself
Oh never mind, the box is sitting there upon my shelf

For real retro gaming nerds, name that game.

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

UPtimist - 24 March 2014 06:47 AM

just hang at the Chit Chat side - all the nice people are here Tongue

Good to know. Grin

@tsa what causes creativity? - You may want to take a look into memetics, if you haven’t already. For an example, read what Susan Blackmore has written about memes, memeplexes etc. Might give you a new perspective how to see processes behind creativity.

Total Posts: 68

Joined 2004-01-28

PM

DIE, THREAD™!

It’s science, because it’s part of a continuing experiment.

It’s art, because it has taken on an almost literary significance.

DO I WIN?

“I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.”

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2014-03-25

PM

“Art vs Science, That’s Mozart vs Ions”
-Matt Okine

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Have you unionized?

(By the way, to add to my previous stuff, it’s also very good to remember how much different areas of scientific research differ from each other. Like, I would guess that my scientific worldview is very different from Tsa’s, as he (as I remember) is from the natural sciences while I am from the social science or humanities side)

Also, Robert, you have a moral victory, surely.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Guys, darnit, why didn’t anyone notify me - two days ago was my 10-year anniversary in Adventure Gamers!

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Happy 10th anniversary UPtimist! Have Kate Walker!

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

stepurhan - 25 March 2014 03:40 AM
tsa - 24 March 2014 11:35 PM

The joke is the husband is concerned about the man being described as a mechanic, not that said man was getting amorous with his wife.

I thought he was a hideous murderer or something. But that was probably because I played too many horror games yesterday.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I just saw Obama say that the Nuclear Security Summit in The Hague “has been truly gezellig.” How cool is that? He must be a member of these forums since the beginning of his presidency Smile.

Total Posts: 68

Joined 2004-01-28

PM

Heh.

?

(This text added because it won’t accept just the above for a post.)

“I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top